To think it really wasn't necessary for Myleene Klass to mention the 'Breastapo'?

(160 Posts)
UnknownGnome Mon 18-Feb-13 17:01:46

I was watching Lorraine this morning during which there was a feature which showed Myleene Klass visiting a third world country promoting the benefits of breastfeeding and raising awareness of the goodness of breastmilk, particularly colostrum. Formula is often watered down, or made with unclean water, therefore not the best option for many women, but they are not always aware of this.

Cut to Myleene in the studio with Kate Garraway and she is, again, talking about the benefits of breastfeeding but qualifies this by saying she is by no means a member of the 'breastapo'. Was this completely necessary? Surely it's ok to talk about the benefits of breastfeeding without making a negative comment about those who promote it?

Just realised that I haven't posed this as an AIBU, so, AIBU to think this was an unnecessary and unhelpful comment?

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 18-Feb-13 22:36:07

Humphrey the breastapo are most definitely not the people who do most to help and promote BFing. Being tactless and giving sub optimal advice is not on when dealing with women at their most vulnerable.

The people who do the most to help and promote BFing are sensitive, know their stuff and if, for whatever reason, a woman chooses to FF, they wish them the best. Had my DSiL had such an advisor, she still would have FF DN, but most definitely would be more open to BF this time.

JenaiMorris Mon 18-Feb-13 22:44:06

Fuck offending breast or bottle feeding enthusiasts - they'll get over it. How about some bloody context? Does she have any idea what the Gestapo did?

She (and anyone who uses similar absurd and obscenely trivialising language) is a complete twat.

BeCool Mon 18-Feb-13 23:02:54

YABU to describe those who promote bf as the breastapo. It's bloody awful

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 18-Feb-13 23:06:30

I sometimes wonder if BFing advisors on maternity wards are the best way of increasing BFing rates. Surely it makes more sense to do the promoting and info spreading all the time?

And I dont just mean one class at school and some advice during pregnancy (although these are good). I would like to see much mire BFing on TV. I would love to see a soap character BF. And not in a campaigning way. BFing while having a chat, talking about the issue alongside sleepless nights and first smiles. The way real BFing mums do. Sure at the start it would probably be seen as a campaign / challenging notions etc. But so did the introduction of gay characters. Now homosexuality is so common place in soaps that it doesn't warrant comment.

I would like that to happen for breastfeeding as well.

SirBoobAlot Mon 18-Feb-13 23:12:11

Dione, wouldn't that be lovely?

LondonNinja Mon 18-Feb-13 23:14:29

Humphrey, not in my case - I wasn't spoken to like a human being by the advisers who came round at really bad times and proceeded to milk me very fucking painfully. It was appalling. The pressure came from them. I fully intended to BF till DD was one. Sadly, as I'd been ill and delivered early, milk didn't flow, she lost too much weight and was not strong enough to feed for long on thr boob (vicious circle) and I had to use FF as a top up. I cried when she eventually refused to BF at 4.5 months. I'd gone from a confident expectant mum to a guilty, worried mum, all due to the attitudes of some of the professionals (and other mums) around me. I was too shattered to think straight at the time, but now, I'm angry at the way I was treated.

SirBoobAlot Mon 18-Feb-13 23:17:12

Rightfully so, London. I promise you, however, we're not all like that. In every profession, you will get a mixture of people. You should have had more, effective, kind support, and I'm sorry you didn't.

merrymouse Mon 18-Feb-13 23:46:49

I have no idea who this 'breastapo' is.

I had one lovely NCT breastfeeding counsellor who gave advice according to current best practice guidelines, but was pretty laid back about the whole thing; and everybody else (midwives, health visitors) was happy to suggest a bottle at the drop of a hat.

The whole discussion about breastfeeding always ends up with these brestapo/nazi thing. If they are so bloody powerful how come formula is what MOST people in this country use to feed their babies?

Completely agree.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 19-Feb-13 00:01:17

Yes it would Sirboob. I wanted to BF for the health benefits. I did BF because it was normal to me.

Me and my extended family were all BF'd. FFing was seen as an unnecessary faff and expense. They chose when to switch to FF and it wouldn't even cross anyone's mind to judge. When I hit some problems my mum would be there with words of comfort and advice, reminiscence and general old chitchatty bollocks. The problems werent minimized, but normalized and treated as part of the whole Having A Baby Thing.

I think the media have a huge part to play in this. The more we see realistic depictions of breastfeeding, the more normal it will become.

Cubtrouble Tue 19-Feb-13 00:18:05

Titty Taliban, that has cracked me up. Nice one rubber duck.

My mum calls myleene, myleene glass, as in her name sounds like a nice window cleaning product.

I don't think anyone should take her too seriously, anymore than you would by any of her chavtastic lurid clothes in mothercare.

I think Myleene Klass comes across as a friendly, intelligent woman and cannot see why she is slated so regularly. I am really, really not keen on "Breastapo", however.

PessaryPam Tue 19-Feb-13 01:29:18

McPheetStink Personally, I couldn't help but notice the amount of goo she had slapped through her hair. And the lack of effort in dressing for the telly.

A saucer of milk for my friend here please.

JenaiMorris Tue 19-Feb-13 07:33:04

Titty Taliban. Hilarious hmm

McPheetStink Tue 19-Feb-13 07:36:27

PessaryPam. I expect no other such comment from you hmm

<exit this way>>>>

ChairmanWow Tue 19-Feb-13 08:27:58

"I have no idea who this 'breastapo' is."

Unlike many PPs for me the HCPs weren't the titty taliban. I was visited at home virtually every day by the midwives due to our feeding issues (DS has been admitted to hosp due to weight loss so we had extra help). Actually I found them really encouraging and when we finally decided no more at the end of that month they agreed that at this stage and after all the effort we'd put in it was highly unlikely I'd start producing milk. They were really positive about how hard I'd tried and felt we'd made the right decision.

Actually it's the bullies I see on forums and the women who have glared at me at baby groups, the one who tutted and shook her head at me when I pulled a bottle out and started feeding my son at an NCT group and the cow who walked past me in a cafe and said loudly 'that baby should be breast fed'. And finally the 'friend' who accused me of 'giving up' on my son.

Sorry if that's a bit ranty but I get sick of titty taliban denial. Try being on the receiving end. It's maddening!

JenaiMorris Tue 19-Feb-13 08:43:46

Until La Leche and the NCT start forming militia and patrolling the streets with guns this language will remain ridiculous and offensive.

SirBoobAlot Tue 19-Feb-13 11:23:29

It's very offensive. However... The phrase is recognised. It shouldn't be, but it is, and that is why she used it.

She was in a difficult position, trying to sound reasonable and promote breastfeeding at the same time, which is damn near impossible to do. People turn off. They don't want to listen.

I've been called a Nipple Nazi before. I also know for a fact that I have helped mothers, and that I have made a difference to their lives, because they have come back to tell me so. A few have thanked me in the streets months afterwards. I've been sent a few cards, and even a bunch of flowers. So if I can support breastfeeding, and help mothers when they are struggling, I can take being called a few names.

BegoniaBampot Tue 19-Feb-13 11:48:55

mcpheet stink -your comment was totally bitchy. don't dish it out if you can't take it.

McPheetStink Tue 19-Feb-13 18:51:24

I'll say what I like thank you smile

PessaryPam Wed 20-Feb-13 11:49:13

Thanks Begonia, I thought so too. With women like that you don't need men to grind you down!

Springdiva Wed 20-Feb-13 20:59:09

As I said before, I truly believe the pressure comes from ourselves
Well there has to be pressure when we are bombarded with info on how breast is best. Gawd, just a bit of balance would be nice.

The whole discussion about breastfeeding always ends up with these brestapo/nazi thing. If they are so bloody powerful how come formula is what MOST people in this country use to feed their babies

Because alot of what is said is not true.
It's easy - hmmm for some and how on earth someone can continue breast feeding whilst woh a long day and presumably expressing milk for the childminder to use - plus getting up to feed through the night, usually more often if breast feeding than Ff, and keep down a demanding job.
It's always on tap, yes, your taps, FF means you can pass the job to someone else.
It's natural - it's so natural that, now I no longer mix with young mums, I haven't seen someone breastfeeding for years, years.

Alot of this is societal. And more bfeeding on tv etc would be a great idea, but meanwhile let's cut back on the diktat.

I found the mw on the maternity ward really helpful this time. Nearly 3 weeks in and bf is going well for the first time ever (this is ds4)

Shagmundfreud Wed 20-Feb-13 23:03:22

"I think the media have a huge part to play in this. The more we see realistic depictions of breastfeeding, the more normal it will become."

Hmmm. The fact that glimpses of breastfeeding are rare as hens teeth on a documentary series about childbirth (OBEM), which has now run for four seasons, tells you how far we've got to go.

"Try being on the receiving end. It's maddening!"

Why is there no similarly insulting and nasty name for those people who make breastfeeding mothers feel uncomfortable? "You're not feeding that baby AGAIN are you?" , "I don't have a problem with breastfeeding as long as it's discrete invisible, and the midwives who undermine breastfeeding by suggesting formula instead of offering help when bf is tough? 'Formula facists' maybe? 'Bottle bullies'?

BumBiscuits Wed 20-Feb-13 23:13:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BegoniaBampot Wed 20-Feb-13 23:29:30

She's half Filipino, probably knows and understands third world culture (at least in the philippines) more than many celebs. Why wouldn't she be a good personan to reach out to fellow Filipino mothers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now