Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have chosen not to wear wedding rings when married?

(43 Posts)
Cornflowerdreams Sun 17-Feb-13 13:44:40

My husband and I got married a few years ago without doing the ring thing. Neither of us wanted to wear rings ever, as we both hate jewellery on our hands, and to us the meaning of ring wearing is not important in the least.

We love each other, have been together for 15 years and have two beautiful children.

Sometimes I get paranoid and get the impression people might think we don't wear rings because we want to send the message to the world that we are available or that we are not committed enough.

The only message we intended to send to society is that we just don't care about the ring's significance, we care deeply about our relationship.

I have even been called "weird" for doing that by an old acquaintance. Shall we try to comform to society rules?

hanreeoak Sun 17-Feb-13 20:23:00

My husband and I rarely wear our wedding rings, which is fine we have been together 15 years and are very happy. We moved to a small village two years ago as did my parents, my dad however was very confused one day when a man knocked on his door asking for my father in law. I think it was assumed that I was not married (and my children's surname was known from being in the local school) the man had heard that my father might be able to help him with a project, was being polite and then totally confused as my father kept telling him 'that's not me'.

plentyofsoap Sun 17-Feb-13 20:19:03

I wear mine rarely as I developed a skin condition on my hands after being pregnant. It's just a ring. My marriage had not changed since I stopped wearing it. wink

scottishmummy Sun 17-Feb-13 20:01:16

Wearing a wedding ring isn't indicative of commitment or chaste behaviours
entirely up to you,don't want to wear ring?don't wear one
old fashioned and naive to presume wedding ring=strong relationship

CockyFox Sun 17-Feb-13 19:53:27

My Nan and Grandad have been married over 60 years, neither one of them has ever worn a wedding ring. I don't think anyone would ever say they are not commited enough or have marital problems.
My Dad has never worn one, my mum does married 35 years.
DH and I both wear one married 12 years.
It is a personal decision and no indication of health of marriage or level of committment.

baskingseals Sun 17-Feb-13 19:28:22

i don't wear a wedding ring, i don't wear any rings day to day. the older i get the more i go off wearing jewellry it just gets on my nerves.

i do sometimes wear a victorian ring dh bought me from a local market, but it only fits my middle finger.

Snazzynewyear Sun 17-Feb-13 19:28:15

I did do the ring thing and so did DH. But on the other hand smile I didn't change my name and plenty of people find that weird. What's important is how you understand your commitment to one another, which is not, in my opinion, defined by labels or visual symbols. Who gives a stuff what others think?

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:30

I wear mine because I like rings. DH wears his. My friend hardly ever wears hers because she has to take it off for work and forgets to put it back on. Her DH wears his all the time. SIL hardly ever wears hers because it aggravates her eczema, DB wears his all the time. FIL never wears his. MIL wears a different one that she likes better. It's your hand, it's your business.

BegoniaBampot Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:09

Yes, YABU.

simplesusan Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:57

I am surprised that anyone notices.

I am not wearing mine today. I am happily married so the notion that only those with marital problems don't wear them is stupid.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

RichardSimmonsTankTop Sun 17-Feb-13 19:21:32

Surely having two kids and 15 years of happy marriage means more than a bit of jewellery!

We don't wear them either, I have a habit of taking rings off and leaving them in stupid places. No one has ever mentioned my lack of ring.

notnagging Sun 17-Feb-13 19:21:08

I don't, dh does. Some people comment but I don't care. Dh makes a fuss about it sometimes.

exoticfruits Sun 17-Feb-13 19:19:56

Sorry-the point was-do whatever you like.

exoticfruits Sun 17-Feb-13 19:19:20

Absolutely nobody notices! I tried it. I was a widow with a baby and fed up with everyone assuming that I had a DH or a DP so I took my rings off and it made not one jot of difference!

We only had a ring because we couldn't be legally married without one. I have no idea where it is now, it's here somewhere but it's been a while since I saw it, let alone wore it.
I have a tattoo on my left ring finger, and that does me grin

zlist Sun 17-Feb-13 19:10:38

I wouldn't notice and if I did I wouldn't think anything of it. I think not wearing a ring is only significant if you did and then suddenly stop doing so. I did this when my first marriage wasn't too great - no one ever commented though.

perplexedpirate Sun 17-Feb-13 19:07:31

DH and I do, but I wouldn't think twice about someone not doing.
Do whatever's right for you.

rubyslippers Sun 17-Feb-13 19:06:10

congrats mamateur!

rubyslippers Sun 17-Feb-13 19:05:54

I go through phases

i am wearing both my wedding and engagement rings at the moment but quite often don't

DH hasn't worn his for years

don't really think about it to be honest

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sun 17-Feb-13 19:03:46

Im not into jewellry at all, so its unlikely i'd wear a ring if i got married. Its just personal preference, you dont have to wear it if your choice is not too, free will and all that.

mamateur Sun 17-Feb-13 19:02:55

I got married yesterday (grin). DH asked his best man if he could borrow a ring for the ceremony (he won't be wearing a ring because he doesn't like jewellery) - but his best man couldn't lend him a ring, because he himself borrowed a ring from his best man at his wedding. In the end we bought one from Argos the morning of our wedding just for symmetry really, because my mother wanted me to wear her mother's band and I had said I would.

ukatlast Sun 17-Feb-13 19:02:07

YANBU I thought we were the only ones until reading this!

Methe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:00:12

I wear mine. Dh doesn't wear his. I've never really given it much thought tbh..

KC225 Sun 17-Feb-13 18:56:50

Same as climbingpenuin - I don't wear mine but DH wears his.

ClimbingPenguin Sun 17-Feb-13 18:44:29

I don't wear mine, DH does

StrawberryMojito Sun 17-Feb-13 18:39:41

Each to their own. I wear mine during the day but take them off each night as I can't aide wearing jewellery in bed. If you are both happy, who cares about what other people think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now