to hate speaking to people on the phone?

(44 Posts)
Megatron Sun 17-Feb-13 11:48:31

I am aware this makes me sound like an anti social arse but I really actively avoid actually talking to other human beings on the phone. I am pretty friendly and sociable but I will text, FB message ANYTHING to avoid it. I have even been known to phone people when I know they're out so that I can leave a message for them and not talk. What the hell is wrong with me? smile

Loughrigg Mon 18-Feb-13 02:52:28

I hate the phone. We are just about to get a land line again and I an dreading it.

I currently have some one who has phoned my mobile at least 4 times this week and I have ignored. It is a mobile number but not sure who. It may well be the builder who I do really need to talk to. Why can't he send a text?!

Dottiespots Mon 18-Feb-13 02:42:11

Me too so are we phone phobic then???

weegiemum Mon 18-Feb-13 02:34:16

I HATE the phone! At work I make multiple calls "hey person I've never met, would you consider funding my project?" but at home I religiously screen calls and only answer my dc. My dad, my dh and my best friend!

ToysRLuv Mon 18-Feb-13 02:25:12

I hate the phone. I only ever happily call or answer a call from DM or DH. Everyone else gets voice mail and a text back from me (unless it's the HV or dentist, bank etc - in which case they will have to wait until I have amassed the courage to call back.. in fact, the HV is still waiting to hear back from me right now, a week after she first called blush ).

I much prefer texting and e-mail (you can construct what you're saying with thought and time - not being put on the spot, like with the phone). English is my second language, which also has an effect (when I get nervous I forget words and stutter). Additionally, I find I have a very hard time understanding accents (Indian, broad Irish, Glaswegian, etc.) on the phone and am too embarrassed to say "excuse me, what was that you said, please" for the tenth time, so just agree with whatever they say and end up with a new phone contract, or something else (happened twice), I didn't want, just to get rid of the callers sad. I hate how they try to push you stuff at any given moment and it's not always clear whether it's free or a paid service or what. Gets me so nervous!

So, I try to get DH to call people like banks and phone provider for me. It's quite embarrassing and often DH can't speak for me for legal reasons, so will have to hand me the phone back for at least the confirmation of personal details, which is bad enough..

DM used to call people for me, so I guess I was one of those kids the OP about teenagers not being able to sort out their own stuff and having interfering mums, was about. sad

I have had several jobs where phone contact (sometimes even cold calling shock ) was an integral part of it. I felt suicidal every morning. Didn't dream about ever ignoring the phone, though. So had to pull through with every ounce of internal strength. I'm clearly too conscientious for my own good. What these jobs taught me, is that I CAN make and take calls, but hate it and stress is sometimes off the charts, so I now choose not to - if I can avoid it.

Despite having 3 uni degrees, I used to dream about working in a supermarket store room at night or somewhere where there would be NO contact with ANYONE, except peers. I now happily run a small (well, it's a start-up) craft business from home, using e-mail for my contacts.

MyCannyBairn Mon 18-Feb-13 01:45:29

I loathe phonecalls cept for oh, mum and MIL ( yes really ), I also find texting awkward as sometimes it's not always obvious when the conversation has ' ended '. I used to love email, now I just can't be arsed. I only have equally cynical non boastful bitter contacts on fb just so I don't get lame shite on there tho sometimes I add someone I thought was ok and turns out to post showy offy shite .

LineRunner Mon 18-Feb-13 01:34:23

God, this is me, too.

I don't want to be unkind about any of my family and friends but why do they need to go on and on for so long? I have things to do.

I hate talking to banks or businesses because they always try to sell me insurance.

JeeanieYuss Mon 18-Feb-13 01:27:51

Talk about repeating myself blush

JeeanieYuss Mon 18-Feb-13 01:27:19

Thank heavens there are people like me out there!
You ANBU at all, and I am glad to see that their are so many other like minded people out there too, lol!!!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

andubelievedthat Sun 17-Feb-13 16:45:58

Iam with you ! if i have to, i will quickly exchange facts and hang up.

GoingBackToSchool Sun 17-Feb-13 15:45:49

I hate it too, I'm a much better texter.
When I was in primary school (I still remember so it must have scarred me!) one of my 'friends' rang me at home pretending to be another of my friends and told me that they didn't want to be my friend anymore. Children are cruel sad

YANBU chuckling to myself at most of what's been written. I thought it was just me! Phew.

Hate chatting. My mum just wants to fill airspace for hours, drives

PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 17-Feb-13 15:02:06

YANBU but I'm the opposite. I have to spend ages writing out emails/text to ensure that they sound 'right' and would rather pick up the 'phone.

My bf is like you and I find it really hard because I'd love to call her and have a chat. We live 100+ miles apart and sometimes a text just doesn't cut it especially when you really need to talk.

It has meant that news such as 'I'm pregnant' etc. have come via text and I don't get to convey my feelings to her spontaneously! A human voice isn't the same as Text/email.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 14:54:07

I don't answer the landline and just leave it to the others to get it. I'll only answer my mobile if I can see who it is who's calling.

I sometimes ignore the phone at work blush

I often struggle to hear what's being said - not due to any hearing problem as I've had my hearing checked - I just struggle with hearing over the phone and making the words out for some reason.

acrabadabra Sun 17-Feb-13 13:35:54

Hate phone calls. Love texts/email.

Always assumed it was because we didn't get a phone till I was in my teens and then it was a party line. You had to be quick or one of your neighbours would be interupting you so they could use it.

<disclaimer: I am not ancient. I am 35 38 >

myalias Sun 17-Feb-13 13:21:45

Yes can't stand it and I can tell who it is going to be most of the time. If it is Sunday after 8pm it will be my bil, when he has had all day to call!!!!!!!! other times he calls are when we are just about to eat/get in the door from work or just on our way out somewhere. My ds thinks it's highly amusing and insists on giving the phone to me as he knows it winds me up - oh and when he does ring my dh is at work or in the bath grin

In this day and age with mobiles and emails there is no need to phone someone. I would gladly get rid of my landline for good.

xxDebstarxx Sun 17-Feb-13 13:11:26

I hate ringing people because you don't know if you are interrupting them doing something and for some reason if you have people will answer the phone and moan that you have interrupted them. I always feel like saying why did you bloody answer then?!

I love having caller display because if a number is withheld/blocked someone I don't want to speak to I won't answer it.

GW297 Sun 17-Feb-13 13:08:06

This is very reassuring! I screen all calls and almost never answer!

mum11970 Sun 17-Feb-13 13:07:58

I hate phones too. Thank god I've got caller id so I can just ignore any numbers I don't recognise or people I can't be bothered talking to. My mum can talk pure drivel for hours on the phone and I'm get to the point ASAP, goodbye.

Megatron Sun 17-Feb-13 13:06:25

I've done that too Flossy how awful is that?

Flossyfloof Sun 17-Feb-13 13:03:07

Moi aussi! I screen almost every call, even if it means I have to call back - I suppose it means I do that under my own conditions. I used to be a real party animal, would chat to friends for hours on the phone. Now I hate it. Although when I worked I used the phone all the time. I think you are a bit weird and so are we all.
Seriously it can be an issue. I have ignored kindly phone calls from relatives since my Dad's death, even resorting to answering but when I realise who it is bellowing "Hello? Hello? HELLO????" then tutting and putting the phone down. Not sure if that foold anyone but it gets rid of them, anyway. How awful is that?

pixi2 Sun 17-Feb-13 13:01:05

Just remembered.....our house phone never rings as I have turned the sound off.

CremeEggThief Sun 17-Feb-13 12:59:31

YANBU. Any other method of communication is preferable.

spiderlight Sun 17-Feb-13 12:54:27

Me too! DS almost missed out on a party last week because the other mum had only put a landline number on the invite and I had to ring rather than text to RSVP. It took me about four days to psych myself up for what was literally a five-second conversation. It's pathetic! I always worry that I'll be ringing at a bad time or interrupting something vital.

EuroShagmore Sun 17-Feb-13 12:47:40

Me too, OP. I HATE the phone. I am quite sociable and love talking to people face to face, but I hate the phone.

Luckily, I work in an international area, and most of my colleagues and clients are in different time zones, so I communicate with them 90% of the time by email.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now