Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

all germanic car drivers

(114 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Sun 17-Feb-13 11:07:46

I know this is a thread about a thread, but it got me thinking its not just audi drivers tha are knobs.

bmw, mercedes, some vw, audi,

all high end german cars driven by people who have done well in life and have a higher opinion of themselves , and for somevreason drive like nut jobs.

aibu. for thinking this.

this doesn't seem to happen with french, italian, Asian car drivers.

Unfortunately the Germans engineering prowess failed somewhat with our previous car - a Mercedes E class estate. Unfortunately it (and the other mercs built at the same time) were made with a batch of non-rust-proof metal, so all mercs of that vintage rotted away, from the outside and the inside. That is why we had to get rid of it - and I loved that car soooo much - me and my PanzerWagen enjoying the open road together. And now I have to drive the BMW instead. sad

ENormaSnob Sun 17-Feb-13 12:04:17

I am a complete nob with a very high opinion of myself.

I drive a Citroen under duress grin

I know loads of people with high end German cars, they are all lovely. The people and the cars.

sydlexic Sun 17-Feb-13 12:08:25

I have a BMW M Sport. This week I have driven my DGD to a medical appointment. Driven 30 miles a day to Mil as I am her carer as she has altzheimers. Clearly I am a twat.

For the record some twats drive BMWs and every other make of car.

Clearly all twats do not drive German cars, you for one do not.

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 12:10:26

Knobbers tend to choose German cars, it's true. Or rather, German manufacturers make more of the style of car that knobbers go for than other manufacturers. I say style quite deliberately there.

But not all drivers of German cars are cocks.

Most drivers of Porsche Cayennes are probably cocks.

FayeKorgasm Sun 17-Feb-13 12:11:32

Seriously OP?

I drive a 2seater mercedes which I love. I am not going to risk an accident by driving like a fool.

I just can't see how you can make a connection like that. It is a lazy assumption at best. I have seen bad driving by car owners of all makes, ages and models.

albertcamus Sun 17-Feb-13 12:14:40

We have two German cars.

I drive my silver convertible VW Beetle like a 'silly cow' because:
* it has a huuuuuuuuuuge blind spot caused by the hood, whether it's up or down
* it is the 1.4 model and vastly underpowered
* I have so many silly things dangling down from the mirror, brushing against the red rose in the dashboard flower holder, that I can't possibly see where I'm going
* the personal plate / middle aged female driver combo raises other road users' blood pressure on sight, especially men when I'm struggling to park

My husband's black BMW X5, on the other hand, is superbly driven by him because:
* it is a brilliantly-designed, good quality, road-holding vehicle
* it's almost impossible to drive it badly, with its parking sensors, array of assistance buttons and general pre-thought design
* even I can put on a semblance of being a reasonable driver / parker in it, which is saying something ...

So, based on my experience, YANBU for having an impression that drivers of German cars are self-satisfied, because I for one am pleased that we have both worked hard enough to afford good-quality, reliable, versatile and fun cars, one ideal for winter, one for summer smile

wherearemysocka Sun 17-Feb-13 12:17:24

ah, don't worry. It's ok to be jealous.

ByTheSea Sun 17-Feb-13 12:18:10

Lots of people who drive German cars are fine, but is does inevitably seem to be German cars which get right up on your arse and leave no braking distance at all. I have noticed this time and time again in my 120-mile-per-day commute. Oh, and Range Rovers too. I have often commented to DH that German cars must have awesome brakes as their drivers seem to have amazing confidence in them.

sugaree Sun 17-Feb-13 12:37:03

Without a shadow of a doubt YABU!

ChairmanWow Sun 17-Feb-13 13:23:37

In my experience twatty drivers tend to go for those makes. You know when someone decides to drive right up your arse flashing even though you are going faster than the middle lane, there are no gaps and you are therefore overtaking that it is far more likely to be an Audi, BMW or Merc than any other make.

However there are lots of drivers of German cars who don't go out of their way to endanger the lives of other road users because of some kind of inflated sense of entitlement. Therefore fair to say that most twatty drivers drive those cars, but not all drivers of German cars are twats.

NumericalMum Sun 17-Feb-13 13:29:58

YABU. It is making assumptions based on a car. A huge range of cars at that! I have driven a hugely powerful awesome Audi and a bottom I the range cheap as chips Citroen. Where I live driving a car is only possible at maximum 20mph so as I rarely go far or fast I have a cheap car. Does that mean I am still a twat but I have downsized my car?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buzzardbird Sun 17-Feb-13 13:45:23

I read it as it is written "germanic car drivers" was very confused how you can tell? confused

FellatioNels0n Sun 17-Feb-13 13:51:01

all high end german cars driven by people who have done well in life and have a higher opinion of themselves , and for somevreason drive like nut jobs.

You are being completely ridiculous and you sound like a right moaner.

feebeecat Sun 17-Feb-13 14:01:03

Between us dh and I have one German and one British car. I tend to just take whichever is closest to the road when going out - does that mean I now have to alter my personality/driving to suit?
This is going to be really confusing, I usually tend think I'm doing well if I come back with same number of dcs I left with confused

Waferthinmint Sun 17-Feb-13 14:04:44

I'm a knob and I drive a BMW. I love it. I live the kudos that comes with it. I love the clean expensive smell of the leather, I love the fact it cost me lots. I love overtaking others in it. I love the noise of the engine. I love how good it makes me feel. I love looking down on others in a car park.

So there.

Buzzardbird Sun 17-Feb-13 14:07:43

Wafer grin

ShowOfHands Sun 17-Feb-13 14:18:58

Oh we have a lowly polo. So near and yet so far.

ComposHat Sun 17-Feb-13 14:31:04

I don't think Victor knows that he has a German heart and I'm not going to tell him

If Victor had been fitted with the British made K series engine he probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale. The head gasket tended to go BOOM at rather an alarming rate. If I were forced to go for a Rover I would go for the 75 diesel with the BMW engine. The rest of their range was outdated junk. badly screwed together by half arsed communist brummies.

TomDudgeon Sun 17-Feb-13 14:43:23

We swore we would never have another French car as every one we had caused us untold grief.
The German cars never did
Though actually we have American and Italian cars at the moment.
Given a choice we would 90% of the time choose German cars. Not because we're knobs but because the Germans build good cars

Donnadoon Sun 17-Feb-13 14:43:31

I lurrrved my golf but after more kids we out grew it and upgraded to a bigger and more sensible passat...we are not knobs though I kinda get what you are saying. So many people get sucked into 'road status' it's slightly ridiculous.

Donnadoon Sun 17-Feb-13 14:44:49

*passat estate

LtEveDallas Sun 17-Feb-13 14:54:25

I have owned, in order: Nissan, VW, Rover, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, Subaru, Toyota.

Currently have Toyota and Fiat.

Does that mean I was once a knob, but not all the time? I'd like to think I was pretty well rounded.

MrsBW Sun 17-Feb-13 14:56:43

I drive a BMW M Sport
I have done relatively well in life (although there will be many on here who have done far better if what you mean by that is how much I earn)
I do have a high opinion of myself. Why wouldn't I? I'm awesome.

I don't drive like a 'nut job'

Dunno about being unreasonable, but you are incorrect if nothing else.

ComposHat Sun 17-Feb-13 15:01:47

MrsBW. is your BMW powered by petrol, diesel or a colossal sense of self satisfaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now