...to call myself "Mrs"?

(148 Posts)
LolloRosso Sat 16-Feb-13 20:03:20

Am in my thirties, gay, single, with two DCs. I've never been married (my children were born thanks to a sperm bank).

I used to be very keen to call myself "Ms" in my twenties, but now I think "Mrs" maybe sounds more respectable/authoritative...in reality, I don't know that many women who go by "Ms" now (and it's tricky enough to pronounce...)

I find that the GP, Health Visitor etc address me as "Mrs" anyway.

My only reservation, besides not being sure if I am legally "allowed" to call myself "Mrs" if unmarried/not in a civil partnership, is whether it might lead even more people to imagine that I must have been deserted by a partner. When I can be bothered, I often find myself having to explain already that I'm a single mum by choice.

CockyFox Sat 16-Feb-13 20:40:28

I am intrigued by people who take their husband's name , I understand keeping your maiden name and using Ms. I just don't understand why you would be comfortable and happy to give up your own name but still use Ms; the fact you have the same name as your husband surely gives away the fact you are married if that is your argument.

LineRunner Sat 16-Feb-13 20:40:37

I still fail to see in what circumstances discussing one's title now arises. It is simply not an issue.

If anyone asks me, I say, 'Why do you need to know?'

LineRunner Sat 16-Feb-13 20:41:23

Actually I might become 'Mr'.

KatieMiddleton Sat 16-Feb-13 20:41:42

Sod it, I'm going to be Frau Middleton from now on.

wem Sat 16-Feb-13 20:42:03

CockyFox, married women are not always accompanied by their husbands...

KatieMiddleton Sat 16-Feb-13 20:42:26

Or Lord Admiral?

KatieMiddleton Sat 16-Feb-13 20:42:54

shock wem!

LolloRosso Sat 16-Feb-13 20:44:05

The question is whether it's better to refuse to go along with it by using Ms, or subvert it altogether by using Mrs when you aren't in fact married....

Thanks purpleroses, that is what I meant by my question I think. I don't want to have a second-class/marked name, I think that "Mrs" is still the 'unmarked' version i.e. neutral, whilst 'Ms' does have different connotations, even if (some) feminists try to put those connotations in a really positive light (Zavi says: "How many married shrinking violets or doormats do you know who refer to themselves as Ms?" I.e. "Ms" is seen as an assertive choice of title)

I think now it would be great if everyone took Mrs.

foxywoxy Sat 16-Feb-13 20:44:13

I don't think that's cockyfox's point. more why make on kind statement via the title, and then completely undermine it by taking the man's name.

kim147 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:45:08

At what point would you transition from Miss to Mrs grin
Should men go from Master to Mr too?

purpleroses Sat 16-Feb-13 20:45:34

Cocky - using your husband's name only lets on your married if you're with him - in which case you'd probably be happy for people to know that. Whereas using Mrs says that you're married even when your DH is nothing to do with whoever you're dealing with (car insurance, booking a work trip, etc)

digerd Sat 16-Feb-13 20:46:59

I do like the german language. Once you are an adult all females are called Frau married or not. There is no distinction in title. But we live here and have always found MS a bit naff as ridiculous to pronounce. I would like the title Lady or Madame, but the former is restricted to being the wife of a Lord in english.
OP call yourself what makes you want.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Sat 16-Feb-13 20:47:30

I think people will look at you funny if you introduce yourself as Mrs and it then subsequently emerges that you're a spinster. You will get hmm faces galore. If you don't mind that then there's no law against it.

Tortington Sat 16-Feb-13 20:47:37

whatever floats your boat - i have to say that i think your letting the side down a bit - the womens and possibly gay side - its the 21st century for fucks sake, for professionally to assume a woman with children is married is ridiculous.

i am married - i call myself Ms.

i am known professionally by my maiden name and i retain my bank account in my maiden name

i have been married 24 years and i do regret not keeping my own name. SO one day i thought fuck it - and used it anyway. and that was that.

do what makes you feel right, - i really mean that

digerd Sat 16-Feb-13 20:47:56

Ps
strike out makes.

purpleroses Sat 16-Feb-13 20:48:19

kim I think you should make that transation around the same time you become a woman, rather than a girl, or a man rather than a boy. Would probably depend on context, but our society already has different language for adults and children.

LineRunner Sat 16-Feb-13 20:48:46

it then subsequently emerges that you're a spinster

Yes, yes because this happens all the time in the real world ....

Yama Sat 16-Feb-13 20:49:32

LineRunner - if someone phones me and asks Mrs Myname? (or even Dh's Name), I will correct them. Anywhere where I am not addressed by my first name my title is used. If they pluck for the wrong title I will correct them.

Actually, as I said earlier I only correct Mrs. And, contrary to other posters' experiences it is only men who persistently get it wrong. I have only had to tell women once.

LolloRosso Sat 16-Feb-13 20:49:39

I don't know what I want confused
A glass of wine right now and will sleep on it.

SilveryMoon Sat 16-Feb-13 20:51:45

I'm a Ms. I changed my surname by deed poll last year to make it the same as dp's and our ds's, I thought a bit about the title, whether I wanted to stay a Miss or not, but decided on Ms because I wanted to acknowledge that I'm not single, but not married, so I went for the one that's in the middle.
When in conversation, I do refer to dp as my husband though, is just easier.

OP I don't think it really matters though, and you should do whatever you want to. Miss, Mrs, Ms, whichever one you prefer, it doesn't actually make much difference does it?

purpleroses Sat 16-Feb-13 20:53:18

Yama - why do you correct them though? (unless they've got it wrong before of course and you're annoyed with them?) I tend to take the opposite approach and though I don't call myself Mrs, if someone else does, I don't bother to correct them. Seems a step in the right direction of saying it's none of their business and shouldn't matter

Yama Sat 16-Feb-13 20:55:35

I correct them because I don't want to validate the need for women to change their title upon marriage. Men don't. Parity and all that.

kim147 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:56:47

YY to that Yama

LolloRosso Sat 16-Feb-13 20:56:51

LineRunner grin
Yep, people have assumed many things about me in my time, but no-one has voiced their suspicion that I am a "spinster".

Custardo as for letting the side/s down. I don't mean to do that. I actually think it's a tricky dilemma as a feminist as to which to use Ms/Mrs as purpleroses expressed the question.

I have held up my hands to it being my own silly prejudice that "Mrs" sounds more respectable, but I maintain it still has different connotations than "Ms". "Mrs" stands as itself as an answer, "Ms" (like it or not) seems to attract more questions.

LineRunner Sat 16-Feb-13 20:57:54

It is also IME mainly men who ask, dither and sigh about women's titles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now