Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Poxy Cocktail Sausages

(97 Posts)
Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:38:56

Was at a Childs Birthday party with my ds, We don't eat sausages purely because they are full of utter crap, At the buffet my ds doesn't even go to pick up a sausage as we never eat them so fills plate up with other things but some other Mums at the party question me so I explained we don't eat them, Unbeknown to me whilst my ds is in the other room another mum says to him 'Quick don't tell your mum but I've got a sausage for you', and hands one to him. AIBU to watch to question her on this when I see her next and/or punch her in the face

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Feb-13 07:44:34

That sums it up cozie. grin

cozietoesie Sun 17-Feb-13 07:20:03
FamiliesShareGerms Sat 16-Feb-13 23:00:08

But the whole point of party food is to be able to scoff "poxy cocktail sausages", isn't it?

It is completely off to give another kid food that you have already been told he can't eat, but unless you have a genuine reason (ie dietary or cultural) you should have raised it immediately or let it go. If you think that your son has been poisoned from ingesting a party sausage and it would be fair game to punch someone over it, you really need to get out more.

RougePygmy Sat 16-Feb-13 22:56:08

Was a sausage and mash éclair!

bedmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 22:48:02

Rouge I'm having a hard time imagining that as anything other than cream eclairs!

RougePygmy Sat 16-Feb-13 22:46:23

At my sisters wedding buffet, being the classy bird she is (and i do love her to bits) they had full size sausages, cut down the middle, then mash piped down the split in the sausage. They were lush! Never seen that again since though!

And the only good cocktail sausage is one wearing a coat of bacon!

Not sure why or how anyone would bother noticing what others were putting on a plate at the buffet, unless a production was made of not choosing sausages!

Allalonenow Sat 16-Feb-13 22:03:07

Wait till your kiddie goes off to university and will eat kebabs and pot noodles by the bucket full. In the grand scheme of life, it is not important.
Have a wine or a bowl of icecream, and stop BU !!

bedmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 21:59:24

OP, I think you need to relax. It's a cocktail sausage. For what it's worth, I don't eat sausages. I don't know what's in them, don't really like the taste either. DP and DDs eat them, but I wouldn't buy cocktail ones at home cos they're cheap shite. But parties are all about stuff you wouldn't normally have at home - that's what makes them fun! I do think the woman was being disrespectful to go out of her way if you had made it clear you didn't want your DS eating them for her to go out of her way to sneakily give him one.

Bubblegum - what on earth is in your £10 for 2 sausages? GOLD?! What butchers do you go to? That would cost me £40 for sausages for one meal for my family! It's cheaper for us to buy fillet steaks for all of us!

kinkyfuckery Sat 16-Feb-13 21:59:24

Oh FFS what bullshit. How would the other mum have even noticed your kiddo didn't have a sausage?? Why would not just assume he didn't like them??

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:58:21

smile DeepRedBetty

mrsbunnylove Sat 16-Feb-13 21:53:45

i don't know why people do this. instead of just accepting that some people are particular about what they and their children eat, and leaving it at that, they have to stick their noses in and hand round the sausages.

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:49:11

No I'm not paranoid! Luckily another Mum said to her 'No you can't do that,he doesn't eat them'! She really wanted him to have it, I think she thought he has been missing out on these amazing bloody sausages!

DeepRedBetty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:48:13

That's ok Popsie. I'm afraid I've started on the wine myself now... there must be a Silly Thread somewhere grin - coming?

Floggingmolly Sat 16-Feb-13 21:46:01

The other mum kept looking to see where you were in the hope you'd leave the room?????? Nobody in ther right mind would be that invested in making sure someone else's child ate a sausage! Are you a touch paranoid in other areas if your life too, op?

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:42:29

Thank you DeepRedBetty, It is real and I am more angry at the other Mum for secretly trying to give him it, we have never eaten sausages and ds is happy with that, I wasn't being precious!

jinsymaw Sat 16-Feb-13 21:40:34

In the name of JINSY! Can we just try and rationalise this situation! The OP, understandably doesnae like the ingredients of the usual, common bangar. Along comes interfereing Mumsy. Poor child isn't eating pigs whatever! Will offer it to child, tho I have no authority! I eat donner kebabs. So I have no fear in life but when it comes to my innards! but if someone went behind me back, regarding the kiddyminsters. Well I would have to get all medievial on their asses!

DeepRedBetty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:37:32

Popsie... it's Saturday Night in AIBU. So please don't expect more than the odd intelligent, considered response, in amongst all the wine fuelled jocularity.

Assuming you are for real, yanbu, it's not on to undermine parental choices with food, unless you are a professional with a child protection brief and the parental choice is something like starving a child to death because the parent believes it to be possessed by a demon.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:30:50

Are you not sure it may have been horse? Or maybe even dog?

myfirstkitchen Sat 16-Feb-13 21:29:51

Sparkling - sausages in everywhere. Not just a cocktail one too.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:29:35

Ha ha that is the modern way, sue their arses. You know it makes (financial) sense. So glad I am old and we were more rational 20-15 years ago. Before anyone says I always thought Jimmy Savile was a bad man so we weren't living in denial.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 21:22:29

'When sorry isn't enough'. Pessary. sad Where there's blame there's a claim.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:20:53

There could be a claim there Nyan?

NynaevesSister Sat 16-Feb-13 21:14:17

Oh come on! Of course OP is right to be peeved at another mother acting that way. It was out of order.

I mean who on earth does that with another persons child, even if you don't agree with it. For crying out loud she just said no to a sausage not all the party type food.

GazpachoSoup Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:35

Not read the other poss, so apologies - although going by the OP it's opinions you're after.
Can I just say, how OLD is your ds?
Is he old enough to decide he actually wants to try one of those sausages himself?!
Because, by the sounds of your original post, you say YOU say you don't eat those crappy, full of garbage things. Not your ds.
If he wants to try it, then surely that's up to him? He's his own person when it comes to food. Should you be foisting your tastes and ideals onto him?
If he turned round and said "bleeee, yuck!" then you'd have a point. He doesn't want the crap.
If it's a case of you saying that we "don't eat that" then that's different. YABU.
Let your child make up their mind what they do and don't want to eat.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:12:34

Counseling for at least 10 years may do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now