Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ds birthday presents

(25 Posts)

I tend to do one big present for birthdays but that's mainly because both of them have birthdays just after Christmas. So lots of smaller pressies for Christmas, in stockings etc and one big one (a maxi micro scooter this year) for birthdays.

Backtobedlam Sun 17-Feb-13 08:27:59

It depends what they need...one year they got a playhouse which was very expensive, they've had new bikes (we do a lot of biking as a family so quality ones are important) but equally if there's nothing big they need I'd happily give them a £20 toy instead. They get lots of smaller things off family and friends so no shortage of presents, so I prefer to get one main thing that I know they'll use. I don't buy much in between Xmas and birthdays though.

nagynolonger Sun 17-Feb-13 08:18:50

We always bought one larger gift for birthdays. That's when they had bikes etc when they were younger and phones etc as they got older.

At Christmas they had smaller gifts and often one more expensive gift eg games console which 3 siblings shared.

I always bought books as extras at any time. Too many according to DH!

bleedingheart Sun 17-Feb-13 08:15:45

Ignore your judgey parents.
You grabbed some great bargains there!

JustCallMeFish Sun 17-Feb-13 08:12:40

Love-not liveangry

PoppyWearer Sun 17-Feb-13 08:12:15

What you've spent sounds reasonable. Good work on the bargain-hunting!

We spend around £50 on birthdays (plus the expense of a party!) and £100 at Christmas.

Because I had bought Christmas presents over the year in the sales, our present pile at Christmas was big. We had lots of tutting from my DPs and PILs.

Well, they were just as bad with the present-buying, all we suggested to them was a £10 present and money for savings, and the DCs were given more besides...grin

JustCallMeFish Sun 17-Feb-13 08:11:45

I would give them all to him.

You bought them out of live for your child and managed to be extremely thrifty with it.

You don't have to justify yourself!

Hope he enjoys grin

Catchingmockingbirds Sun 17-Feb-13 08:05:41

It depends entirely on your situation. We don't have a lot of family to give DS presents or cards so it's just us that buys his birthday and Christmas presents. Because of this I usually get him a bit more. I think what you've got your son sounds great smile.

Dinkysmummy Sun 17-Feb-13 07:58:03

I spend as much as I save. I try to do £75 for both Xmas and birthday.

However today being dds 5 th birthday and her having a party at wacky warehouse too she got £60 in presents (rrp was a lot more!), and the party is going to set me back £75 (which is not bad considering)

So all in all she got £135

Astelia Sun 17-Feb-13 04:54:42

I would be extremely cross if my parents commented on what I had given a DC in such a way. It is none of their business what you give unless you are asking them to pay for it, which you're not.

In my family some older relatives are a bit the same, they are appalled at the cost of phones, laptops, electronics but do manage to keep it to themselves mostly.

However it is DH who needs to say something to his parents, perhaps before the next birthday or Christmas if they are going to be with you for the present opening or wrapping.

Altinkum Sun 17-Feb-13 04:26:48

Right we I got ds1, skylanders giants and 12 characters to go with it. For £48 bundle on eBay new ( massive bargain, considering their is 3 big giants, which at £15 each is a massive bargain) we also fot him 4 halo Lego sets, which was supposed to be just under £100, however sainsbury's had a 90% toy clearance on, so we got them all for £9.85.

He also got some starwar fighter pods again in sainsbury's for £1 each.

So putting them out and his gift pile looks quite substantial, even tho we have spent only all £60.

Dh mum and dad came round yesterday while we were wrapping them up and said it was a obscene amount of gifts, however we always spend £70 on gifts for the boys, we have put the extra £10, in his card.

I'm now wondering if I should put things by, however I don't know when is give them him as toys they only get at birthdays and Christmas.

thegreylady Sat 16-Feb-13 22:18:25

The rhyme is for Christmas stockings
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read
An apple to munch on
Chocolate for fun
Something to play with
That's everything done.
smile
For birhdays it is all relative-a combination of what the child wants adapted to what the parents can afford.

bedmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 22:11:17

It's all relative. We spend quite a lot compared to what's been mentioned so far, but we have a fair chunk of spare cash each month after savings. Years ago while DP was establishing his business, we had less cash and so spent a lot less.
If we weren't able to put money aside into savings accounts etc, I wouldn't be spending it on birthday stuff.

Catsdontcare Sat 16-Feb-13 21:54:45

It changes in our house. If there is something really special that I know they will I will get it even if it's more than I would normally spend, but it will be there only gift.

themindwonders Sat 16-Feb-13 21:52:12

we spend upto £50 for birthdays

AnameIcouldnotthinkof Sat 16-Feb-13 21:50:31

For my DDs 7th we spent £50
She got the thing she really wanted (Sylvanian Families stuff)
and some books from me and DH. We try not to go over £50 per DC. I always get the thing they ask for and depending on the cost we use the left over money on small gifts.

Purple2012 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:15:10

My DSD is 15, she gets one big present on birthdays usually and maybe a couple of small ones, depending on how much the main present costs. The cost of the main present depends on what we can afford. We don't go mad. And we don't go mad at Christmas either.

CockyFox Sat 16-Feb-13 20:08:40

In our house Birthdays are 1 present up to the value of £50 but usually a bit less.
Its the rule my mum and dad always had and I've carried it on. Tgen at Christmas the same 1 main present upto £50 and a little stocking I don't really understand getting loads of presents it just overwhelms children.

WorraLiberty Sat 16-Feb-13 18:49:53

£1.93p

4 gifts

PrettyKitty1986 Sat 16-Feb-13 18:48:04

Ds1 had one present for his 5th birthday, a bike.

My sister was disgusted, she thought he should have had more. His birthday is one month after Christmas, i refuse to get a sackful of stuff just because.

hippo123 Sat 16-Feb-13 18:41:47

I only ever get my dc 1 present at birthdays / Christmas, I've never quite understood why people buy loads. We probably spend around £30 on a present but I guess it all depends how much spare cash you have at the end of the month, which in our case in very little.

INeedThatForkOff Sat 16-Feb-13 18:36:36

I think it's wear, not play.

Cailinsalach Sat 16-Feb-13 18:35:44

I remember someone posting a rhyme about presents

Something you want
Something you need
Something to play(?)
Something to read

Perhaps another mumsnetter can remember the exact words

HollyBerryBush Sat 16-Feb-13 18:03:15

That entirely depends on the parents purchasing power. There is no right amount.

What is the AIBU about this?

Altinkum Sat 16-Feb-13 18:02:06

What would you class as a reasonable amount to spend on a 7th birthday, and how many gifts would you class as reasonable from just the parents?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now