To be annoyed at being accosted in Sainsbury's to buy a Red Noise Day Charity ticket by a member of staff?

(12 Posts)
MinimalistMommi Sat 16-Feb-13 19:51:05

Gazpacho I realise that they've been told to do it as I used to work in retail when I was at university, I just think its a bit much inside a supermarket. In our town there are a lot of charity workers on the street so it feels like getting hassled a lot. Ad the guilt trip, because I wish I could do more but, like for a lot of people at the moment, money is tight so I do what I can where I can. I hate seeing the charity adverts on TV as it makes me feel so guilty. We're so lucky in the UK with stuff we take for granted like clean water etc.

SpecialSubject that's shocking!

GazpachoSoup Sat 16-Feb-13 19:10:58

YABU. Just say, "no thank you," or "I've already bought one" even if you haven't
Why the guilt trip? You said yourself that you're buying one closer to the day anyway. So it;s not like you're not buying one at all, is it?!
From their point of view, they've probably been told by annoying management type people that they have to try and foist one of the nozzles on every poor sucker who comes through the door.
Like all the charity chugger type people, just say NO if you don't want to! smile

WhatsTheBuzz Sat 16-Feb-13 18:28:15

I would say yabu, a) they'll have been told to do it and b) good on them,
someone's got to do it. People automatically say 'no' to stuff like
this which I think is a shame.

Tailtwister Sat 16-Feb-13 18:17:22

YANBU. I always feel awkward when I have to say no and think you should be able to do your food shopping without being accosted for charity donations. We give regular donations to our chosen charities by direct debit, but even then they are constantly calling up to ask us to increase our donations. It's getting out of hand.

specialsubject Sat 16-Feb-13 18:13:12

'no thanks' is a perfectly reasonable response.

Comic Relief could fund even more good causes if they weren't creating all that plastic litter. This thread made me look at their accounts. I really hope I am mis-understanding them, because it appears to cost about £17m a year to generate £86m of funds.

Joiningthegang Sat 16-Feb-13 17:29:58

"no thank you"

maddening Sat 16-Feb-13 17:28:47

Yabu - they can offer you can decline and all is well. Unless you say no and they keep pushing for a sale then they wbu

kinkyfuckery Sat 16-Feb-13 17:18:46

YABU, just say no! If you feel the need for an explanation, tell them you already bought one.

YABU. Just say "Not today thanks"

It's not really pushy unless they harass you or do a hard sell.

TeamEdward Sat 16-Feb-13 17:16:43

Just say no. Perfectly valid answer, no need for embarrassment or explaination.

firawla Sat 16-Feb-13 17:15:49

yanbu it is a bit pushy

MinimalistMommi Sat 16-Feb-13 17:15:14

Just been waiting in self service queue and a member of staff was asking each customer to buy a Red Nose Day ticket.

It's embarrassing to say 'no' and I felt guilty. I know that closer to the day I will be buying the red noses etc for the children ready for the Red Nose Day in school so that is when I will choose to give to that particular charity. The lady behind me was obviously embarrassed too and had to say, 'Sorry, I have no change.'

Having red noses for sale on the counter is one thing when a customer can choose to pick one up and purchase it off their own back. I think this has taken it to anther level.

Am I being unreasonable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now