To hate the school gate

(164 Posts)
littlebillie Fri 15-Feb-13 18:56:27

That's it I hate it!

maisiejoe123 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:47:33

I have to say, not the centre of my universe tbh. More things to worry about in life.

libelulle Wed 20-Feb-13 19:49:41

Well, actually the first comment wasn't particularly aimed at you, it was aimed at everyone who comes on a thread about someone worried about school gate politics and says, in essence, that anyone who cares about such things must have a small and sorry life. It happens all the time, not just on this thread, and it's Not Very Nice.

Likewise it IS unpleasant to say 'chair of PTA you think that's a mover and shaker hahaha'. I'm not calling you names, I'm calling you up on what I see as you belittling others and their concerns and choices.

scottishmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 19:55:38

Re-read your own posts, 2sneery, 1unpleasant person,by you to me
Not mightily bothered mind,but dont seek to make out you're only saying,and I'm stroppy

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Wed 20-Feb-13 20:01:15

My DS is only 2 so obviously isn't in school yet, but I have a 7 year old DSD who I pick up sometimes.

One mother there really has it in for me, always saying very loudly "that's just her STEPMUM." (Yep, lovey I am. Problem? You seem to love pointing that out. Although really I am not her stepmother I am daddy's partner, but go ahead and try and drill something in to me that I already know lol.) She glares at me every time I am there, and without fail will have sly digs about something or other. His ex thinks she is a loony too.

I never feel like I have a right to be there as she seems to think I am trying to play mummy when really, I am definitely 100% absolutely not.

scottishmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 20:08:59

Heehee you need to act like pantomime villain step mum then,crank it up
As you pass her, pause and say pat butcher style,yea and its the cellar for 'im
High comedy, don't sweat it seeing you'll never be friends but do have fun

Springdiva Wed 20-Feb-13 20:13:06

hmm

libelulle Wed 20-Feb-13 20:15:39

You misunderstand me - I'm actually reiterating what I said to you. It isn't stroppiness, I actually think it's quite important not to sneer at others. And saying 'hahaha PTA chair, mover and shaker?!' is unpleasant and sneery. I stand by that.

scottishmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 20:18:30

whateva

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Wed 20-Feb-13 20:47:34

Scottishmummy that is actually not a bad idea lol. I'll make sure DSD knows the floors need scrubbing as me and DSD walk past her lol.

scottishmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 20:48:57

Yes this mum making the oi stepmum comments you could get lots of mileage out that
How v v funny of her,I'd definitely camp that one up,big time
Have a ball,the jokes on her

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Wed 20-Feb-13 20:55:39

The joke really is on her I'm telling you smile It's quite funny because none of us retaliates so she just looks like an idiot lol.

IfNotNowThenWhen Wed 20-Feb-13 21:03:30

Here is what I do:
First, be a bit late-as you rush past everyone do a big shit-eating grin indiscriminately at everyone you pass, and a queenly wave.
Second, say "morning!/afternoon!" at everyone, throwing in " awful weather!" or somesuch.
Thirdly chat inanely to anyone who wants to.
Er. That's it. I don't really care if someone I normally chat to is ignoring me/talking to someone else.
I don't assume they have a well worked out plan to snub me. I am friendly, and assume everyone likes me.
I may be deluded. I don't care.
Plus, about 40 % of our school gate "mums" are dads, and I don;t think they notice any school gate politics either.

scottishmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:54

I do a Kate winslett,smile wave,walk for dear life like it's the baftas
Works every time

Ilovexmastime Thu 21-Feb-13 09:24:24

I have no problem at the school gate, it took me a couple of years to make some 'proper' friends there but before, and now, I would just smile at everyone (so I can't be accused of being a snooty cow) and talk to whoever I was stood nearest to.
However, from reading this thread, it would appear that our school is nice and friendly compared to others. I would hate to have to put up with people judging me loudly on what I wear (if they do it quietly behind my back then I don't mind because I don't know about it).
I do wonder about the whole clique thing though. .. maybe someone could explain to me the difference between a group of friends and a clique? Genuine question...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now