to be angry at what I feel is a racist comment on Facebook?

(72 Posts)
peedoffbird Fri 15-Feb-13 07:50:42

My blood is boiling. Comment by family member about Crimewatch having no custom if it weren't for foreigners.

ashesgirl Sat 16-Feb-13 17:59:38

Yes it's just deeply ingrained prejudice. It makes you furious because it's so ignorant. They have massive privilege on their side but still choose to considers others inferior. The injustice of makes me seethe as well.

peedoffbird Thu 07-Mar-13 20:33:42

I have had more issues with racist shite from my family member. Saying that BNP or UKIP could be a good move for GB. People who aren't born in this country should not receive benefits and so on. I am really upset as I believe he is purposely trying to wind me up as he knows it's important to me. I don't agree with goading someone like this and would not do it to him.

I have not reacted but feel so angry and the biggest problem now is that I feel unsupported by my dp over this. he thinks I am over reacting but it genuinely upsets me. I feel very different from them and wonder whether I need to chill out more. God I bloody hate racism and bigotry. I don't know sad

peedoffbird Fri 08-Mar-13 18:36:23

bump

Ilovexmastime Fri 08-Mar-13 19:11:13

I can sympathise OP, one of my family members shared a picture from the BNP going on about immigration the other day... a few months after emmigrating herself! Oh the irony... and ignorance sad

peedoffbird Fri 08-Mar-13 19:23:12

God that's awful Xmas. How do you cope with it? Do you ignore or do you confront?

Maggie111 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:35:38

I report anything racist I find to Facebook and hide the post so I don't have to look at it.

YANBU.

Fakebook Fri 08-Mar-13 22:39:47

Why don't you just block instead of getting vexed and repeating it on here? You're using up precious Internet space.

oldraver Fri 08-Mar-13 22:55:19

Ilove My Mum has been sharing BNP photos/status and others such as 'Proud to be British' etc. I knew she had become very vocal recently about 'foreigners'. I was mortified but luckily its on my 'just for her' FB which I am considerind deleting. I'm also not happy if she is going to be like this around DS

And yes she has recently returned to Britian after living abroad for a few years

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 04:40:29

Oldraver what don't they get about the total irony of having lived elsewhere themselves. This person has a parent who is a "foreigner" but clearly he is unable to see the ridiculousness of his views considering this

Ilovexmastime Sat 09-Mar-13 08:44:39

Another family member beat me to it, and pointed out the irony, so I just added under his comment that he'd beaten me to it and laughed (he had laughed at her too). I didn't want it to get nasty, which is why I just laughed at her even though I didn't think it was that funny. But when one of her friends posted in support of her I let loose with a very sarcastic post and lo and beyond she removed the whole post grin

Ilovexmastime Sat 09-Mar-13 08:47:31

Oldraver that must be pretty grim for you, my mum has some fairly right wing views(although never racist) and thats bad enough!
How do you have a Facebook just for her btw? Is it a completely different account?

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 10:44:07

Maybe laughing is the way to go. Am surprised how much it's getting to me but I think it's the racist stuff together with the purposeful wind up and lack of support from dp. He has made comments too about uni being pointless and students being weird when he knows my dc goes to uni. Don't know why people behave like it. I need to let it go but it's hard.

Any advice on how to do it would be gratefully received !

Ilovexmastime Sat 09-Mar-13 12:34:17

That's a bit weird OP, is he trying to wind you up deliberately?

Sunnywithshowers Sat 09-Mar-13 12:48:10

YANBU at all. I fell out with my mum and dad on FB after she shared a BNP post, and I commented. Then dad piled in. I've deleted them from FB (and Dad's nasty wife) and my life is a tiny bit better.

I'm glad I stood up for what was right, even though it caused ructions.

Ignore the uni comments, I'd bet money that he went to 'the school of hard knocks' followed by 'the university of life' and knows people who are too clever to tie their own shoelaces blah blah blah. (I'm at uni at 41 and I love it - not pointless at all/)

Fakebook Sat 09-Mar-13 13:04:34

I need to let it go but it's hard.....Any advice on how to do it would be gratefully received !

Delete and block? Or hide this persons posts? Really, why are you carrying on this thread? hmm

Sunnywithshowers Sat 09-Mar-13 13:10:41

Delete and block - it's much easier.

lljkk Sat 09-Mar-13 13:17:00

Technically I would call that Xenophobic not racist.
(I don't care if the UN deems nationalities to = races, it's a stupid view).

Many British people are Xenophobic as far as I'm concerned, I find it strange but ordinary here.
So it would not make my blood boil, just make me pin them down as ignorant.

I am foreign, btw, but racially I am extremely British (family history buff).
People of my nationality would find it between utterly bizarre & truly insulting if you described us as all one race.

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 13:19:11

Ilove I believe he is trying to wind me up yes. but of course I am the one who is over reacting !

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 13:20:12

Sunny yes you've got it! Well done you for going to uni! never too late and can only lead to good things

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 13:22:13

Facebook why are you being so rude. Don't post if you don't like what Im saying.

Fakebook Sat 09-Mar-13 13:45:22

How am I being rude? I'm giving you a suggestion about blocking the person who is offending you, but you seem to be ignoring me.

Why don't you block the person or hide their posts? You have a choice to not read racist comments, but you are choosing to and then sharing them on here. What do you hope to achieve by this?

peedoffbird Sat 09-Mar-13 16:36:41

Fakebook I do not have to answer to you. This is an issue that I find difficult which is why I am posting. If you don't like it don't post on this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now