Schoolboy taught in isolation for wearing a real tie not a clip on one

(52 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Thu 14-Feb-13 18:51:59
fluffyraggies Fri 15-Feb-13 07:14:28

3 DDs through secondary school have gone from proper ties, to clip on ties, back to proper ties again.

sigh

The school have changed the design of the latest tie twice. They have changed the PE uniform twice. They have changed the blazer once. They have come down hard on the type of skirts, trousers and shoes the girls are wearing (fair enough) but now are trying to dictate the colour and style of outdoor coat that the children are coming to school in confused Why on earth does that matter?

I'm in favor of school uniforms, but this school is stretching my patience thin now.

<needed a vent>

meditrina Fri 15-Feb-13 07:15:27

I don't think they look the same - you can often see the pointy edges of the fake knot standing slightly away from the collar. It looks dreadful, as do all obvious fakes.

flow4 Fri 15-Feb-13 07:29:08

Ties are ridiculous: it's just plain weird to make girls wear them, since women never do... And why pin a phallic symbol to your chest anyway?! confused grin

lljkk Fri 15-Feb-13 07:52:12

They don't look any different to me but DS hated clip on so much he ended up tearing it part. We were told no regular ties at his school but then, lo and behold, regular ties available at yr7 induction evening. I bought 2 & one has gone missing (argh).

I agree no ties at all would be best.

thebody Fri 15-Feb-13 07:56:37

This is why school uniform is quite frankly ridiculous and outdated.

It has no research based evidence to suggest uniform equates better results, see the whole of Europe, and is simply a stupid class throw back where everyone knew their place.

Waste if money.

bigTillyMint Fri 15-Feb-13 08:01:40

DC's school have velcro ties, but my DC have managed to procure the old-stylie real ties and have not yet got into any trouble, despite doing the big knot thing.

I think they were introduced to stop the big knot thing, but TBH you can butcher the velcro ties to have big knots toohmm

valiumredhead Fri 15-Feb-13 08:12:16

All schools have clip ons here as uniform and they are very strict about the rules.

If kids flout the rules they are taught in isolation.

I imagine this kid has been given lots of warnings and he decided he knows better.

If you go to school you abide by their rules wether you agree with them or not.

Yes, no ties would be better imo but we're not at that point yet.

I'm really glad ds's school have clip ons, they are a boisterous lot and clip ons are safer.

Bunfags Fri 15-Feb-13 08:31:04

This is too stupid for words. If only their were a face palm emoticon.

They should concentrate on teaching, not bloody ties.

valiumredhead Fri 15-Feb-13 08:32:38

But it's not about the tie...

Bunfags Fri 15-Feb-13 08:33:54

What is it about?

Shesparkles Fri 15-Feb-13 08:34:46

Mne have been wearing ties since the age of 5 and they're still alive. I've not heard of any fatalities either.

Madness!

valiumredhead Fri 15-Feb-13 08:35:20

Breaking the rules.

Bunfags Fri 15-Feb-13 08:48:27

I just can't get fired up about school tie policy.

I didn't even realise anyone wore clip-ons at school!

I went to a girl's grammar and we didn't wear ties or blazers.....loved it.

flow4 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:23:25

When my DS's school brought in clip ons, they said it was because kids had been varying the number of stripes they had visible - not the four they should have, but five, or even (shock, horror) three and a half! shock

It's not about 'breaking the rules' IMO; it's about enforcing power - including petty, ridiculous mis-use of power.

There's no connection between ties and attainment, by the way: the two neighbouring high schools do not have ties, and are rated 'good' by Ofsted. Ours has just gone into Special Measures. Despite the ties. sad

Flobbadobs Mon 18-Feb-13 09:35:30

Year 7's at DS's school wear clip on ties then from year 8 they wear proper ones. It's a stupid policy, at his old primary school they have an optional tie which many of them wore, not a clip onthough, a normal one! He's perfectly capable of tying one but they're not considered responsible enough until they are 13... It's the only thing that boggles my brain about that school...

Bunfags Mon 18-Feb-13 09:36:11

I know flow4, and these people get paid from the public purse. I think most of us would prefer them to expend their efforts on educating our children, not on concocting Byzantine rules about ties...and they wonder why their pensions are being cut!

Oh I hate the you must always abide by the ridiculously petty school rules at all times point that inevitably comes up in every MN thread about idiotic school rules. It might be a fair point if people actually had a choice over where to send their kids to school. But the choice is entirely illusory. The idea that you 'chose' (the only school your kids met the admissions criteria for) it just used as a way of keeping you in line. Utter bollocks.

I agree it's just petty, arbitrary (mis)use of power for it's own sake. That's something we should teach our children to question and challenge. Because a society of people who just follow The Rules regardless what they are is not at all desirable.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Mon 18-Feb-13 09:50:36

Our local Secondary school, that i and now my little sister is going too, have always had real ties, elf and safety makes you shudder sometimes.

Bunfags Mon 18-Feb-13 09:55:25

I agree it's just petty, arbitrary (mis)use of power for it's own sake. That's something we should teach our children to question and challenge. Because a society of people who just follow The Rules regardless what they are is not at all desirable.

I'm so glad I'm not the only mum who thinks this way!

Theas18 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:57:15

It's all to do with the knot isn't it? Trendy fat Knots/short tie/how many stripes showing (sometimes gang associated too I understand). Rather than 'elf and safety....

DS school has no trouble with ties. It's about the only means of self expression- house tie, school rugby tie, anniversary tie (if you were there in anniversary year) and now ... tada....prefect tie!

Interestingly they don't really have much problem with uniform at the school. Boys comply or near enough to not matter and they don't police heavily. Is it because it's a grammar and the lads want to be there? Dunno.... the girls push the boundaries at the girls school at bit but again not a huge issue.

But comps/non selective academies seem to have endless uniform troubles??

Clip on ties are for punishment at dds school, for those who infringe the number of stripes rule on their normal ties. I like it, nice and simple response to the crime grin

flow4 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:20:03

Hahahaha Kitten - so by implication, the head teacher at DS's school is punishing everyone! Yes, I'm afraid that's about right. hmm

Pleasedontpassmeby Mon 18-Feb-13 12:46:17

A question for teachers/school management staff:if the punishment/sanction
for infringements of uniform policy(wrong tie/logo on footwear/blue socks instead of black)is to be taught in isolation-what happens when 10/20/50/all the pupils in the school need to be "punished" on the same day?

inkyfingers Mon 18-Feb-13 13:01:49

It avoids the tie at half mast that looks so horrible. I doubt it's health and safety but constantly asking pupils to do their ties up. I agree, it is babyish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now