To get annoyed at DH for buying me flowers

(152 Posts)
BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:04:03

For Valentine's... Yes one day early!
Annoyed because he dumps them on me and I need to unwrap them, get a vase, dispose of all the wrapping, cut the stems and place them
in water then clear up the mess from leaves and other bits that fall on the floor.
What a faff! I just wish he'd buy me chocolates instead!

Foggles Wed 13-Feb-13 21:57:33

I usually get given supermarket flowers that have been rolling around in the back of DH's car for the last week. Usually a few of the heads are missing.

I still arrange them in a vase and think what a tight bastard he is

grin only kidding

NotSoNervous Wed 13-Feb-13 21:59:30

YABU

<sends usual some roses>

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Feb-13 22:01:00

My sister used to work delivering flowers for her local florist

She said the worst part was when someone wasn't home and she'd have to leave them with a neighbour.

The utter look of disappointment when they realised they weren't actually for them grin

Foggles Wed 13-Feb-13 22:03:09

Worra - I can just imagine.

The florist van pulls up, you see them come up the path, knock on the door and then they ask you to take them in for No. 11.

Bastards grin

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 22:04:16

grin Worra

ladymariner Wed 13-Feb-13 22:04:42

I've heard it all now.....this can't be for real. Can it? Really? Surely nobody is so brattish as to make out sticking a bunch of flowers is hard work?

Well, I hope you've had a relaxing evening with your feet up and a restorative tipple at your side, Op, to help you recover from the stress of this terrible occurrence.....

Libramonkey Wed 13-Feb-13 22:08:10

Thanks TheSit smile

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 13-Feb-13 22:08:24

Give them back to him tomorrow as his valentines?

mumeeee Wed 13-Feb-13 22:08:55

YABU. I love getting flowers and we don't exchange big gifts on valentines. DH usually buys me flowers and we go out for a meal. That's it I don't even buy him anything now as he's not eating chocolate at the moment.

ouryve Wed 13-Feb-13 22:09:01

Say thank you because he thought of you. Sort them out. Remember that he thought of you. Some time in the future, have the conversation where you mention that flowers don't really do a lot for you. I understand that one. It's an expensive gift that sometimes makes my nose run and is gone after a week or so.

Even though we'd agreed not to bother, this year, DH bought me a very sweet little potted plant, today. Small, unobtrusive, my favourite shade of purple, will last and will make me smile whenever I look at it. Just as much as the 10p pot of mini daffs I bought a couple of weeks ago (and which I will plant out in the garden, when the winter is over)

supergreenuk Wed 13-Feb-13 22:10:14

I hate getting flowers too. Over priced too. I agree with all you have said. My husband knows though. I love my chocolates.

Leeds2 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:10:54

What on earth are yellow bic biros?!

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:11:45

Did you arrange the yellow bic biros in a vase?

My neighbour is pregnant with her third. Her husband sent her some beautiful flowers, the van turned up to deliver, but she must've been in the shower. He pulled up after school run just as I was going to offer to have them, so he (looking gutted) signed for them & took,them in. They must've cost at least £40 but something similar from tesco would've been £15, he'd paid the extra for the lovely surprise factor, but ended up just walking in with them himself.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 13-Feb-13 22:13:30

Leeds I think they are Bic biros that are yellow confused

I am aghast at the sheer bastarding cheek of him! Flowers! How bloody dare he. If it's not an eternity ring you should tell him to stuff off.

I would be shoving them up his nostril and stamping my foot. A lot.

Bloody flowers <shakes fist>

You just can't get the romance nowadays.

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 22:18:19

I know what! I could tell him they make me sneeze (I do suffer from hayfever). Thanks for giving

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 22:19:28

Thanks for giving me a brilliant excuse!

miemohrs Wed 13-Feb-13 22:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChairmanWow Wed 13-Feb-13 22:25:18

...and thanks for giving us this hilarious thread.

Hopefully he will make you happy next year by getting you absolutely nothing.

determinedma Wed 13-Feb-13 22:26:33

I will get sweet f.a so enjoy your flowers. I expect I will get my tits groped in a gesture of "love"

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 22:26:51

Hilarious? Really?
Oh well, better than a flaming, I suppose.

Moistenedbint Wed 13-Feb-13 22:32:11

I remember my mate going off on one because her DH had the temerity to buy her supermarket flowers.

Arf, have heard of women remonstrating with their partners over garage-bought flowers.. Superficial, ungrateful, pompous behaviour.

And I always think, you clearly have very little to worry about

Do birds fly over your flowers Bimba? Does your son have a vegetarian girlfriend? I'm not going to say you are or are not being U until I know you aren't someone playing an elaborate joke. This not being as funny as the burnt cakes unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now