To get annoyed at DH for buying me flowers

(152 Posts)
BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:04:03

For Valentine's... Yes one day early!
Annoyed because he dumps them on me and I need to unwrap them, get a vase, dispose of all the wrapping, cut the stems and place them
in water then clear up the mess from leaves and other bits that fall on the floor.
What a faff! I just wish he'd buy me chocolates instead!

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Feb-13 21:34:14

Perhaps he thought you'd look better...you know sitting there all evening behind a large bunch of flowers?

moondog Wed 13-Feb-13 21:35:17

I do think you have a point.
However lovely flowers are (and they are) all that extricating from tight plasic and sellotape is dispiriting.
When I give someone flowers I always take them out of the plastic and rewrap in lovely tissue paper with a ribbon and decant flower food to a little glass jar. I figure like me they will be grateful not to have all that hassle.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:35:48

I'm even more amazed that anyone actually agrees with you.

BMW6 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:36:55

Or maybe he thinks you eat too many chocolates as it is?

I luv you Hilda grin

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:37:09

What hassle?

It takes a few minutes, bloody nora.

The world has gone mad, mad I tell you.

Sidge Wed 13-Feb-13 21:37:49

Maybe you should take your unwanted flowers to a local nursing home, they'd be gratefully received there.

or send them to me

BMW6 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:38:57

Don't bother with a vase OP - just shove em up your arse.
That'll show him. The bastard.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Wed 13-Feb-13 21:39:19

Alfrex? Greensleeves?

Are you at it again!

grin

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:40:21

Wouldn't mind if he sorted them
out and looked after them until they're disposed of in the green bin.
As it is, it feels like a cheap gesture

ENormaSnob Wed 13-Feb-13 21:40:23

My dh has bought me chocolates.

I am 7 months pregnant. Does the selfish twat not realise I already have 2 stone to lose post baby sad

Bloody thoughtless grin

Worra grin

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:41:51

Who's alfrex?

Moistenedbint Wed 13-Feb-13 21:43:05

What a frightful misogynist shock and so controlling ....perpetuating benevolent sexism and undermining the women's revolution. Leave the bastard, call women's aid, etc etc etc.

PoppyWearer Wed 13-Feb-13 21:44:01

OP, I don't like DH buying me flowers. Yes, the mess/hassle but for me I just don't like watching them wither and die. I'd rather have a plant and then forget to water it.

My one exception is daffodils, I love to fill the house with them at Easter.

Just tell him! Have told my DH not to buy me flowers, he wasn't the slightest bit offended.

MIL always brings flowers when she visits and her, no, I don't dare tell.

NapaCab Wed 13-Feb-13 21:44:29

Flowers for Valentine's Day that you have to cut up and put into a vase?

Leave the bastard!

Oh I want flowers now. envy
I LOVE flowers.
<narrows eyes as hairy DH watches sodding football obliviously>

I'll have them.

miemohrs Wed 13-Feb-13 21:46:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ridersofthestorm Wed 13-Feb-13 21:48:07

My god how inconsiderate of him confused

Libramonkey Wed 13-Feb-13 21:50:00

Wish someone would buy me flowers... or chocolates.... or anything. sad

floweryblue Wed 13-Feb-13 21:53:04

What do you get your DH for Valentine's OP?

Adversecamber Wed 13-Feb-13 21:54:04

I remember my mate going off on one because her DH had the temerity to buy her supermarket flowers.

Ragwort Wed 13-Feb-13 21:54:05

I agree with you grin - I really hope my DH doesn't buy me flowers tomorrow, 1) they are sooooooooooo expensive, I would rather have a bog standard bunch every week for the next two months than a huge bouquet - 2) I am going away on Saturday so it would be a real waste.

Surely a true gift is something that you would value and appreciate, I would love it if DH got my car valeted or bought me a dustbin grin - either of those gifts would make a real difference to my life, a bouquet will not.

Equally I suppose I know that the present my DH would like is an hour or so 'unreserved' attention in bed, and no, he's not going to get that grin. I've bought him a £1 box of maltesers grin.

zipzap Wed 13-Feb-13 21:54:49

YANBU - valentine's flowers are a rip off and only show that the person buying them has been suckered by a massive marketing machine...

Same goes for cut flowers most of the time. DH knows better than to give me flowers too - would prefer to have a pot plant or plant for the garden that will last for longer and give pleasure for much longer too. Partly this is because I refused to give cut flowers to my mum and his mum when we got married as is often convention (not least because they were staying away from home) - instead I got them a couple of little rose bushes each (including making sure they had nicely named and appropriate species of roses), wrapped up nicely. Now, 10 ish years down the line, the rose bushes still live on in their gardens and both like them as pretty flowers in the garden and as a more long lasting reminder and genuine thank you to both of them. Cost the same as cut flowers if not a little less, but the value was significantly more.

I once received a beautiful bouquet of flowers when leaving a job that was actually a fairly long term consultancy post (18 months). The people involved had become good friends (and I went on to work with a lot of them a little later in a different company) - they knew me, knew I loved chocolates and wine amongst other things that are impersonal thank you type presents to give when a present isn't needed. They also knew I was going on holiday abroad for a couple of weeks the next day. And yet - they still gave me these beautiful flowers that I got to look at for all of a couple of hours when I got them home, then I gave them to some relatives that I lived closest to and could easily get them to, as otherwise they would have sat in my flat and been dead by the time I got back. It just felt like they had ordered them without thinking for a moment (and admittedly they were all men so maybe they had wives that would have liked them or they had a florist account for such things but no account for wine or chocs. But despite knowing they meant well, it still felt like a kick in the guts because even if they had spent a fraction of the money on a box of chocs or bottle of wine it would have been more personal and useful. And then on top of that you end up feeling guilty because you know they went to some trouble and thought they were doing something nice so that just compounds the bad feelings.

You ungrateful bugger OP. Send them here, I've been debating buying myself and the kids some for tomorrow anyway. Washed and polished a vase ready! grin

Libra thanks

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:57:19

I've got all my vases ready, I know interflora will be knocking all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now