To expect mums to get their children vaccinated?

(272 Posts)
againagain Wed 13-Feb-13 20:17:14

Met two mums at play group today who said they didn't/weren't. Their reasons were autism, all that stuff on the Internet, drugs companies making money and keeping their children 'clean'. WTF?? Am I right in thinking their kids are safe though because 'the herd' is immunised? I just think there's a certain mother type who thinks anything 'non-natural' or scientific is wrong. Rant over

deardeer Wed 13-Feb-13 21:12:23

To be fair when I started university in 2009, we had to fill out vaccination records - and all foreign students were routinely asked to have a BCG jab. Afaik anyone missing their other jabs - MMR, MenC, DTP etc were offered/asked to have those too... It just makes things a lot simpler really to get it done and out the way when they're young I guess. Afaik as well some universities will require you to have certain jabs before they let you in halls.

That said - I do wonder if in the future they will discover things about vaccines, in particular the HPV, and we'll end up regretting having them.

glossyflower Wed 13-Feb-13 21:14:04

holly I am using my iPhone and can't figure out how to put direct links but go to Wikipedia list of vaccine ingredients, if that's bona fide enough for you. It's listed as human diploid cells.

LAK11 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:14:20

grin at Pag ODFO or ODFOD.....

HollyBerryBush Wed 13-Feb-13 21:14:29

Bovine cells are used in chicken pox - I knew that.

but I want to see concrete published research that aborted cells from 2 particular foetus back in the 60's (^*Foetal cells taken from two foetus's abortions back in the 60's/70'*^) are the hosts today for the vaccinations.

jellybeans Wed 13-Feb-13 21:14:46

'Am I right in thinking their kids are safe though because 'the herd' is immunised?'

Yes YANBU

redspottydress Wed 13-Feb-13 21:15:53

Also autism is not simply genetic. If one identical female twin has autism there is only 50% chance that the other one will too. Environment is also a factor.

glossyflower Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:18

If this works also a link to the direct manufacturer Merck.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/m/mmr_ii/mmr_ii_pi.pdf

tomatoplantproject Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:38

Personally I couldn't live with myself if my child died from a terrible disease that I had chosen not to protect her against. I would be beyond furious if she were to catch something before we can fully vaccinate her against it, purely because other mothers choose not to vaccinate. I think that the memory of these diseases is weakening and people have forgotten the impact they have had on families and communities.

CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:50

Because it wasn't true?

The orginally 'study' was a farce and the department of health has debunked it all.

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/05/health.children

MMR and autism have nothing to do with each other.

AmandinePoulain Wed 13-Feb-13 21:18:02

this is why it's 'bollocks' owl

Saski Wed 13-Feb-13 21:18:08

The autism link has been discredited so many times; why would anyone even consider it?

We're so fortunate to have access to vaccinations. There are people who would walk a thousand miles to allow their kids the same protection, if it made any difference. My mother in law's sister had polio as a child; we just spent Christmas with her. She has spent her entire life unable to walk. WTF? Why is this even an issue?

ReallyTired Wed 13-Feb-13 21:20:23

"do any of you actually understand what autism is and how severely and profoundly it can affect people? "

Autism is not a death sentence. Measles can be a death sentence.

Many people with autism lead happy and productive lives. Certainly there is a massive spectrum of how autism affects people. I think a lot of people are very scared of autism because they don't understand it. Profound autism is severely disabling, but life is still worth living.

Sadly there are lots of other ways that children can aquire brain damage/ learning difficulties. Complications of measles, mengentis caused by mumps, rubella in utro etc.

I believe that the risks of vacination out way the benefits.

glossyflower Wed 13-Feb-13 21:20:32

holly go to google scholar and type in 'human diploid cells MMR'.

CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Wed 13-Feb-13 21:22:03

Autism is a truly profound condition.

However, suggesting that the MMR causes it, is as crackers as suggesting that MMR causes HIV.

socharlottet Wed 13-Feb-13 21:26:35

They are BU . 500 million+ MMRs given is proof enough.Wakefield has been thoroughly discredited.There are lots of theories on the rise in autism diagnosis

Owllady Wed 13-Feb-13 21:28:04

autism is not a death sentence? really?

have you ever lived with a child with severe or profound autism?

without anyone there to care it is a death sentence

and mmr does not cause all autism

Owllady Wed 13-Feb-13 21:28:44

you are all completely brainwashed

AmandinePoulain Wed 13-Feb-13 21:30:03

owl the MMR does not cause any autism. See the links posted earlier.

noblegiraffe Wed 13-Feb-13 21:31:55

It is humbling to watch, on a Comic Relief segment, women in Africa queuing up for hours and hours to get their babies vaccinated and to listen to Bill Gates talk about his quest to eradicate polio, as smallpox was eradicated. Vaccines work and are a marvel of modern medicine. It is because they work that certain western parents have the luxury of reading scaremongering shite on the Internet and thinking 'no, that's not for my kids' because they haven't actually experienced the real horror of these awful diseases that vaccination protects us from. If they had, they might think again.

CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Wed 13-Feb-13 21:32:10

What makes you think that the MMR causes autism?

Stating that the MMR does not cause it, is not making light of the condition.

glossyflower Wed 13-Feb-13 21:32:39

holly two references for you if they can be found online ...

1. Plotkin, S.A.; Cornfeld, D.; Ingalls, T.H.: Studies of immunization with living rubella virus: Trials in children with a strain cultured from an aborted fetus, Am. J. Dis. Child. 110: 381-389, 1965.

2. Plotkin, S.A.; Farquhar, J.; Katz, M.; Ingalls, T.H.: A new attenuated rubella virus grown in human fibroblasts: Evidence for reduced nasopharyngeal excretion, Am. J. Epidemiol. 86: 468-477, 1967.

CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Wed 13-Feb-13 21:34:19

I'd choose a few aborted fetus cells over serious disease myself.

NumericalMum Wed 13-Feb-13 21:34:52

YANBU. My DC has had 3 MMRs as we live in SE London and there was an outbreak when she was 12 months so she had her booster at 13 months and another before school. It is the least I could do for society.

NonnoMum Wed 13-Feb-13 21:35:16

I don't think kids should be allowed to register and attend regular schools unless they are immunised.

havingastress Wed 13-Feb-13 21:36:57

Flame me now, but I won't be giving my baby the MMR.

I will, however, pay out to have the vaccines done separately. I'm hoping by then that the govt will have removed their ridiculous policy of making the mumps vaccine unavailable.

I don't believe at all that anyone can say categorically that there is no link between the MMR and autism. Too many people who have a story to tell, sorry.

My brother is autistic. My mother is adament his measles jab changed him overnight from a happy, go-lucky, confident little boy with great coordination into the way he is now. Certainly, I've seen video footage, and the difference is startling.

Regardless. I'm not pumping the MMR into such a tiny little body. I'm unsure as to whether I will even give her the measles, given that that's the one I'm most concerned about. I was never immunised against it after my poor brother's experience. Yes, I was a little poorly, but I got over it.

I'm awaiting the flaming grin but I do believe some of you who are so pro-MMR are brainwashed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now