To think cadburys chocolate has changed

(160 Posts)

And those egg & spoon things taste nothing like cadburysconfused

wintertimeisfun Sat 16-Feb-13 21:31:01

digestives have changed, i seem to remember reading they were now fat free? if so then that'll be it. such a shame when people bugger around with a working formula, such egos

timidviper Sat 16-Feb-13 21:32:47

DH bought me a bar of Cadburys for Valentines Day and it was horrid. Tasted kind of oily and too smooth, bit like Galaxy. I was really disappointed

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 16-Feb-13 22:01:42

I think this is what badtempered was referring to:

m.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/feb/13/health.food

Aeros are much nicer than those bubblys - which aren't even bubbly when you bite them

LayMizzRarb Sun 17-Feb-13 01:37:09

Amatuer Chocolatier here!
Chocolate manufacturers sometimes use inferior fats to lower production costs. The finest chocolate makers (like me) use cocoa butter. Other companies use vegetable oil, palm oil, cart grease......

American chocolate very often contains parrafin as this prevents the chocolate melting. American localities have extreme variations in temperature and they want the bar to stay in one piece whether it be headed for sale in Alaska or Arizona. That's why US chocolate can taste dreadful and stick to the roof of your mouth. Bit like stirring in some Vaseline in your ganache.

LayMizzRarb Sun 17-Feb-13 01:38:21

Amateur in spelling as well.....(should really check before posting tsk tsk)

Dfg15 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:03:25

Mmmnoodlesoup - my bubbly's were very bubbly! perhaps you had a duff one?

Sallyingforth Sun 17-Feb-13 12:39:29

I would be surprised if Kraft hadn't changed the ingredients to save money. They've probably put more soya in, since that's a favourite trick in the US to bulk things out.
But it doesn't bother me. I haven't bought any Cadbury's since I discovered how good Lidl's chocolate is. They have several different varieties of cocoa percentage, and very cheap too.

Why can't they leave things be, Messing with my Dairy Milk is not on. grin

ipadquietly I agree with you on the chocolate drink. I thought it was me mixing it oddly, but I get a strange scum of pinkish powder floating about that dispute vigorous stirring will not disappear.

Dispute ? Bloody autocorrect.

sherzy Sun 17-Feb-13 13:37:27

I thought mini eggs had changed two or three years back, most disappointed but still eat them

neverputasockinatoaster Sun 17-Feb-13 13:57:12

I thought I was imagining the change in taste!!

DS and DD have both rejected their chocolate buttons recently as well...

catsmother Sun 17-Feb-13 14:45:24

Yes ..... something has definitely changed. The "solid" chocolate products, like Dairy Milk, Twirl, Flake, Buttons etc are particularly horrid. It does taste different - yes, "oily" - and the texture feels wrong. In fact, it seems to have almost no flavour at all and feels nasty in your mouth to boot.

The "less solid" (well known techical term ! not) varieties are slightly better - probably because the chocolate element is disguised by the other ingredients and flavours. So ...... Picnics, Mint Bubbly, Crunchie, Fudge etc are still just about bearable as you don't suffer that horrid cloying and flavourless gunk feel quite so badly.

And as an aside ....... though it's sort of related, IMO, Cadbury World has gone right down hill lately. I remember going years ago and being a complete chocoholic very impressed with the variety of stuff for sale in their shop - a fair proportion of which you couldn't get elsewhere. Last time I went it was just loads of "normal" stuff and very few bargains either.

I used to always get a bar of Dairy Milk for a not too expensive chocolate fix but wouldn't now. Have still got half a tin of Roses from Xmas which is unheard of - IMO they more or less all taste the same, and that's even with fruit creams and caramels included. I won't buy them again.

I don't understand why the recipe's changed - and it has, even if Cadbury are denying it. Guess when their sales figures drop far enough they might have a rethink perhaps ?

Feminine Sun 17-Feb-13 16:21:09

Well as Hershey's tastes like cheesy vomit, any connection with our Cadbury will be doomed!

AmIthatWintry Sun 17-Feb-13 16:45:59

I noticed it last year, when I had to throw out easter eggs, even DD didn't want to eat them.

Maltesers are our chocolates of choice now

80sMum Sun 17-Feb-13 16:55:55

Let's face it, the stuff that Cadbury markets as "chocolate" is not really chocolate is it? There is very little cocoa solids in it. If chocolate bars were a new product, they would have to be called "chocolate flavoured confectionery bars" or something similar.
You only have to try some real chocolate to tell how different the two products are. It's like comparing orange squash wit freshly squeezed orange juice, for example; one is watered down and tastes vaguely of artificial orange flavour, the other is the real thing.

wildfig Sun 17-Feb-13 17:07:24

I know chocolate purists have always looked down their noses at Dairy Milk but I'm a philistine not keen on the super-refined expensive chocolate - I liked Dairy Milk's sweet, comforting milkiness. Not anymore. It doesn't actually taste of anything, which means you're more aware of the (urgh) 'mouthfeel', which is definitely more claggy. Galaxy has gone a bit off, too.

Sainsburys own brand or Côte d'Or now the choc of choice here.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 17:55:11

Who makes decent quality childrens' eggs then? I don't buy much chocolate at Easter, but I'd like them to have something.

badtemperedaldbitch Sun 17-Feb-13 17:59:30

thanks ItsAllGoingToBeFineI htought i was being censored for something that i said that is, for all intents and purposes, public record.

pooka Sun 17-Feb-13 18:01:35

Tastes wrong.

You don't get the chocolately hit - its all cloying and sweet and oily. Used to be more, I don't know, crumbly I suppose.

And don't get me started one the shape change of dairy milk. Travesty.

Not buying any more. Bought the egg things and thought they were horrible with a really unpleasant aftertaste and 2/3 dcs didn't like either.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 17-Feb-13 18:04:39

green & black may be organic & have more cocao but it is still owned by cadbury.

nancerama Sun 17-Feb-13 18:05:46

It used to be lovely and creamy and chocolatey. Now it's just sweet and fatty. If only someone would dig out the recipe from 1980 I would happily buy again. Until then they've lost my business.

I fear that Cadbury's chocolate being available globally has a lot to do with the decline. I remember looking forward to coming home from holiday because you couldn't get Cadbury's anywhere else. I suspect they've done something to it to allow it to travel or to enable them to make it in larger quantities. So sad for them to destroy their brand like this.

icepole Sun 17-Feb-13 18:11:42

Threw some out the other day, tasted weird.

badtemperedaldbitch Sun 17-Feb-13 18:39:48

they lost my trust... i wont be buying cadbury again.

catsmother Sun 17-Feb-13 21:30:56

Having said all that .... you know those "old fashioned" style sweetshops which seemed to have popped up all over the place lately - it's a chain, can't remember what they're called (brown signage). Anyway, you know they have a "foreign" section - American stuff (pop tarts, M&Ms, Reeses, South African stuff and Australian stuff (cherry ripe yum) ....... well, they have Australian Cadbury stuff there usually - at hugely inflated prices mind - and the Cadbury stuff I bought there tasted quite nice. Much more like it used to be IMO. I bought some bar that had 6 different flavours - like caramel, orange etc. Not that I can afford £2.50 for a choc bar on anything like a regular basis .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now