Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Penistone

(130 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 13-Feb-13 19:12:24

[childish snort]

Imagine living in Penistone grin

MrsGeologist Wed 13-Feb-13 19:38:03

PILs live near Nob End.

Drizzleit Wed 13-Feb-13 19:39:43

There's postcards I'll send you one Taggie! It's a lovely place to live and fun to spell

It really is lovely. I love living here.

pluCaChange Wed 13-Feb-13 20:05:23

Interesting thing about Brest: there are two of them (of course!), on opposite sides of Europe.

grin

There's a Clitsome view not too far from here

Oh and Turkey Cock Lane was close to where I used to live too!

PrincessUnderpaid Wed 13-Feb-13 20:47:58

Upperthong and Netherthong never fail to raise a grin, there is also a Thongsbridge. Slightly obsessive skimpy underwear lovers or just VPL haters? Quite geographically close to Penistone too.

maddening Wed 13-Feb-13 20:49:07

We chuckle when we pass clit heroe on the motorway

Numberlock Wed 13-Feb-13 20:51:23

Not forgetting the singer CeCe Peniston - lol x 10,000

Drizzleit Wed 13-Feb-13 21:06:36

Henrietta let's start a Penistone appreciation thread! Thunderbridge always makes me laugh as well, though I'm not quite sure why grin

we always snigger at Peover in Cheshire (prn Peever, unfortunately grin)

MarianMaudsley Wed 13-Feb-13 21:20:05

i regularly visit a patient who lives on Penistone Avenue
it's been 2 years now, and i still snurk every time i pass the street sign.

i quite liked working near Cock Lane as well. Made me chuckle that it was adjacent to Back Passage

MikeOxardAndWellard Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:25

Hehehe Peeeeeeeeeenis-stone. <childish>

IvorWindybottom Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:59

I am sure this subject has beed done not to long ago

orangeandlemons Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:48

I live nearish to it. I never even realised it had an amusing spelling. I just know it as Pennyston

IvorWindybottom Wed 13-Feb-13 21:24:38

PrincessUnderpaid
do you live near Upperthong and Netherthong ?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 13-Feb-13 21:24:57

When I lived near the Amish country in Pennsylvania I always wondered if Intercourse had been named in total innocence.

SwedishEdith Wed 13-Feb-13 21:27:13

I knew someone who had this as their surname - driving licences only have the first 5 letters of your surname on them <snigger>

Fishandjam Wed 13-Feb-13 21:32:00

Wyre Piddle always makes me chuckle childishly. And Licky End.

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 13-Feb-13 21:35:43

Ah you see, there's the old story, that the people of South Yorkshire had been through a famine, and at the end they felt grateful, so they decided to name a town after something that was important. So they decided to call a town Bairn sley (Bairn being yorkshire for child) as children were the future.

The women the got all uppity, and said if it wasn't for them, there would be no bairns, so they called the next village Wombwell.

Well, the men couldn't have the women having a town named after them, so they demanded a place named after them. They though long and hard about the most important thing, and so Penistone came came into being.

I grew up in that area, but now live closer to Upper Ramsbottom.

Vinomcstephens Wed 13-Feb-13 21:36:31

I drive past penistone a lot and rightly or wrongly have a very childish snigger every time grin

I was in Torquay once, and saw a sign for Daddyhole - I really can't say why but that made me laugh like a drain too! (I think it was Torquay - somewhere dahn sarf in any event!)

BigGiantCowWithAKnockKnockTail Wed 13-Feb-13 21:38:27

I know someone whose surname is Penistone. You know how your driver number on your license starts with the first five letters of your surname...? Poor bloke hates it grin

ArtexMonkey Wed 13-Feb-13 21:41:25

Penistone is v nice smile I didn't know that story ThisIsMummyPig, that is very interesting.

We once drove past Fanny Hands Lane on the way home from holiday, eeeh, we did laugh.

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Feb-13 21:42:09

I went to the Penistone panto too! V random Cinderella staring a Dalek, a camel, lots of ghosts, Vatman and Robin and Gangnam style dancing! 2 x 4 yo and 1 x 1 yo were rapt for 2.5 hours. DH had a beer Shelly.

Penistone is my nearest town. It's a lovely little town. I had never thought of the rude alternative pronouciation until I saw a stand up comedian in Huddersfield (a few miles away) who was struggling. Started on the Penis Town jokes. Died on stage.

Although I work with someone whose surname is Penistone, and you know how your driving licence number begins with the first five letters of your surname....

Shitterton, Dorset

They had to put the place name on a lump of rock, because souvenir hunters kept pinching the road signs.

Gen dit no shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now