to think it is about time the world realised that it is not Kate MIDDLETON?

(84 Posts)
DayToDayShit Wed 13-Feb-13 18:10:44

She has been married for almost 2 years.

I suppose its like everyone calling Princess Diana, Lady Di for about 20 years.

Clytaemnestra Wed 13-Feb-13 21:52:02

grin good typo!

Whatdoiknowanyway Wed 13-Feb-13 21:57:43

Seriously? In 2013 you are commenting that a married woman is still known by her maiden name?

ChairmanWow Wed 13-Feb-13 22:08:13

^ This. I didn't change my name when I married and neither did my blokey.

Also, they can call her Princess Catherine Fuckpants for all I care. They're a bunch of spongers. Time we got rid.

nickelbabe Wed 13-Feb-13 22:15:42

you are assuming that she's changed her legal name.

just because she's got the title duchess of Cambridge doesn't mean she's changed her proper surname.

mediaeval much?

DayToDayShit Wed 13-Feb-13 22:18:31

no, whatdoiknowanyway, not seriously at all if you read my last post, although it has become quite interesting now

nickelbabe Wed 13-Feb-13 22:20:19

and everyone saying "she's royal sge doesn't have a surname"

no, she's royal so she doesn't have to have a surname but like every other person in the uk her legal name is whatever she wants it to be.

I like the fact that people are still using, without comment, her own surname as there has been no official announcement of her having changed it. I look forward to the day when people assume a woman has kept her own surname on marriage until told otherwise rather than the other way round as it still tends to be.

MyLittleMiracles Wed 13-Feb-13 22:28:25

She has no legal obligation to change her surname on marriage, in fact william could legally have taken hers and in fact she could change it by deed poll to anything!

nickelbabe Wed 13-Feb-13 22:31:16

exactly whoknows!

Morloth Wed 13-Feb-13 22:36:47

As a citizen of the world can I just say I don't give a damn?

I have been married 15 years and my name is the same as it was before I got married.

Why does it matter?

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 13-Feb-13 22:42:41

It seems sometimes they need a surname, but most times they don't.
www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheRoyalFamilyname/Overview.aspx

seeker Wed 13-Feb-13 22:47:41

I don't think there's any Debrett type reason why she can't be Catherine (or Kate, if that's !s what she calls herself) Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge. Is there?

Yellowtip Wed 13-Feb-13 22:50:43

I doggedly refer to her as Kate Middleton just to piss her off.

twinklestar2 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:53:13

She can be called Princess William of Wales - check Wikipedia grin

RedToothBrush Wed 13-Feb-13 23:06:04

She's Kate WhateverYouChoseToCallHerSoThatEveryoneSimplyKnowsWhoYouAreTalkingAbout.

So that could be Kate Middleton. Or Katie RoyalWasteofSpace. Or Kate PappedAgain. Or worse.

It's really not important whether you get it right. Its not as 99.999999% who talk about her, are doing so formally and need to get it right.

simplesusan Wed 13-Feb-13 23:17:17

Does she actually refer to herself as Kate, or was that made up by the media ie "waitey katie?"
Anyway I think Catherine Cambridge is cool.

sleepyhead Wed 13-Feb-13 23:24:52

Anyone can call themselves anything, so long as it's not for nefarious purposes.

She could call herself Chesty LaRue if she likes providing she doesn't use the alias to con old ladies or similar.

Mrcrumpswife Wed 13-Feb-13 23:31:05

Our ridiculous Royals seem to make up the rules of their names as it suits them. I think Kate should take on the real name and get back to the true roots of our Royal heritage and embrace it.

Catherine Saxe-Coburg- Gotha has a certain ring to it even if it is a bit of a gobfull!

KobayashiMaru Wed 13-Feb-13 23:52:15

Saxe-Coburg_Gotha is no more the true roots than any other past name attached to the royal family, and would be incorrect even without the 1917 official change to Windsor, since following patrilineal naming practices their name would be Mountbatten (or if you want to be really picky, Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluckstein, which was Phillip's original nominal).

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 14-Feb-13 00:42:54

I think that when they were casting about for a British surname/house of during WWI, they should have just gone back to the last British surname: Stewart/Stuart. It also has the nice touch of being an occupational surname, like Carpenter or Cooper.

sashh Thu 14-Feb-13 02:16:11

Did the Queen stop being Elizabeth Windsor when she got married?

Does it really matter? My son has my maiden name as his middle name. X Middleton-Windsor, or Windsor-Middleton and/or all the other permuatations will always be known as X, assuming he/she will be King or Queen one day. I will PMSL though if they call it Lexi or Alfie.

permutations

:-)

Yellowtip Thu 14-Feb-13 07:46:25

Stuart? Are you joking!!!! This shower are small town usurpers!!!! Of course they couldn't use Stuart shock.

nickelbabe Thu 14-Feb-13 10:06:59

no, the Queen is Elizabeth Windsor when she gives a surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now