to think it is about time the world realised that it is not Kate MIDDLETON?

(84 Posts)
DayToDayShit Wed 13-Feb-13 18:10:44

She has been married for almost 2 years.

I suppose its like everyone calling Princess Diana, Lady Di for about 20 years.

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:53:43

Dwi'n caru dy enw user selsigfach grin

Mae gen i ffrind yn y RAF Fali, Mae hi'n gweithio there.

<utterly pointless post>

DayToDayShit Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:22

of course I couldn't care less what anyone calls them really.

Just felt like starting an aibu for see how many times i would be called yabu grin

LineRunner Wed 13-Feb-13 20:04:14

I think it's quite interesting.

ratspeaker Wed 13-Feb-13 20:10:49

name the wives of Henry viii

how many do you think of with the last name Tudor?

LineRunner Wed 13-Feb-13 20:13:11

That's a bloody good point, ratspeaker. Identity was still couched in point of origin.

So really she is Katie Noname.

Poor her.

CodandLobster Wed 13-Feb-13 20:16:37

Although, Ratspeaker, that may be out of convenience for us, as three of them would be "Catherine Tudor", which would be a bit confusing?

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 20:18:58

She can call herself elvis Presley if she wants providing she has no intention to defraud

Theicingontop Wed 13-Feb-13 20:18:59

Wouldn't it be, officially (if she took his name) Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Wed 13-Feb-13 20:26:57

I dont think so theicing, I think that is another made up surname for expediency. Bottom line is that princes and princesses only need a made up surname when they are in the army, see The Queen and Elizabeth Windsor. Otherwise they dont have ine.

FairPhyllis Wed 13-Feb-13 20:30:08

As a titled royal she does not have a surname. She is simply HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. However if she does ever need to use one, she could use Wales, Cambridge, Strathearn, or Carrickfergus, which are her husband's territorial designations, or possibly Windsor. William has generally used Wales as his surname when needed. Or she could be Princess William of Wales.

Mountbatten-Windsor is the surname intended to be used by descendants of the Queen who do not have royal or princely status - this does not apply to William. But Princess Anne has used it in the past, so the moral here is that apparently you can call yourself whatever the hell you like if you are royal.

KobayashiMaru Wed 13-Feb-13 20:30:12

no, Mountbatten Windsor is for male line descedants that aren't Princes by title.

He uses Wales as a surname for military purposes, but thats not actually his surname. Technically he should, if anything, be referred to as William Cambridge since being made a Duke, but he preferred to stay as Wales.

He doesn't have a surname. And all women who use their husbands name are also still technically and legally still also their maiden names. So she can still be referred to as Middleton.

fluffyraggies Wed 13-Feb-13 20:35:26

Princess Diana sounded ok. Duchess Kate sounds a bit odd.

Weird isn't it?

Clytaemnestra Wed 13-Feb-13 20:36:27

If she was going to be Princess, then unfortunately she would have to be Princess William (like Princess Michael of Kent) She's not a Princess in her own right, only by marriage, so doesn't get to be Princess Catherine, any more than Fergie got to be Princess Sarah.

As far as I know, you can only be designated a Princess if you are born a Princess or are granted an area to be Princess of. So until William becomes Princess of Wales, Catherine either has to stick with Duchess or start calling herself Princess William.

I think technically she could be Catherine Cambridge, as someone said above. Which actually sounds quite nice.

JuliaSqueezer Wed 13-Feb-13 20:38:59

There was a story in the media last year that she had bought a wetsuit from a shop in Anglesey, the shop owner had supposedly failed to recognise her and asked for her name, she told him it was "Mrs Cambridge".

(google 'Kate buys wetsuit' to see)

LucyGoose Wed 13-Feb-13 20:39:38

Zara1984 Does she even use a credit card anymore? Or does she get everything given for free (or from Prince Charles/William)?

Bakingnovice Wed 13-Feb-13 20:53:11

Who cares.

KobayashiMaru Wed 13-Feb-13 20:55:08

She is not Princess Catherine, but she will be Catherine, Princess of Wales, when he eventually becomes Prince of Wales. For now she is a Duchess, not a princess.
Diana was never Princess Di, she was Diana, Princess of Wales as well.

HollyBerryBush Wed 13-Feb-13 20:58:11

The only one that uses Mountbatten Windsor is The Princess Royal.

Abitwobblynow Wed 13-Feb-13 20:59:56

Whatever she is called, she needs to eat a couple of hamburgers.

Sorry. Just saying

selsigfach Wed 13-Feb-13 21:03:26

Diolch Twllbach! Mae na enw "pet" i DH! Dw i'n mynd gyda tim cwn achub.

CasperGutman Wed 13-Feb-13 21:07:03

"Cambridge" isn't a surname for either Will or Kate. If William had a surname, say "Smith", then he'd be William Smith, Duke of Cambridge, not William Cambridge. Compare, for example, Alexander Thynn, Marquess of Bath, or Gerald Grosvenor, Duke of Westminster.

miemohrs Wed 13-Feb-13 21:10:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

William will only become Prince of Wales if Charles, once King, bestows the title/office on him. It's not automatic. Hasn't been since Owain Glyndower vanished into the hills iirc.

KobayashiMaru Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:42

It's not automatic but when was the last time the monarchs eldest son wasn't made Prince of Wales? Edward III, so 1312 or so. I think its a fairly safe bet.

And no, Cambridge is not their surname, but it can be used as a surname for the sake of convenience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now