Aibu to take a risk and stick with my gut feelings?

(93 Posts)

DH have fallen in love with a house. We have put in an offer which has been accepted and we are now going through all rhe builders checks and legal checks. I should point out we live in NZ so a bit different to UK.

The house we love is a bit unusual. Its was designed by an architect who lived in it for 20 years and is now in need of a bit of love and care. Its also in a slightly odd position as its sits in the middle of a small woodland.

Its also on stilts (not unusual in this part of the world) and is built into the rock in places.

My parents have now made it clear they are not happy about us buying this place. They are worried about maintainance and re-sale value. We are having structural engineers and builders check it out. We know the roof will need some repair in the near future (although is fine at the mo).

I just feel like everyone thinks we are rather nutty for buying this property. But we really have considered it carefully and do not want to sell it in the near future - i want my kids to grow up there. I know it needs maintainance - we are prepared for that.

I should point out that my parents have not seen the house in reality - they are going by photos and google earth. My friends also think we are slightly odd - but admit its in a nice location.

Has anyone else taken a bit of risk when buying their dream home. Did it work out in the end. I am worried that maybe I should be listening to people - but then I dont want to own a conventional house when we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to own something a bit different,

Osmiornica Wed 13-Feb-13 20:05:35

It's you who's going to be living there not your parents or anyone else.

I think it looks fab! I love the views out of the windows - would love to live near woodland.

BlackholesAndRevelations Wed 13-Feb-13 20:08:33

That's an awesome house. Your children will love growing up in a real tree house! smile

MrsCR Wed 13-Feb-13 20:15:24

love it! Do it! You're the one who is living there, not them!

McNewPants2013 Wed 13-Feb-13 20:22:49

That house is cool

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 13-Feb-13 20:52:44

Love the pics ! Buy it buy it gringringrin

It doesn't matter what friends or family think! You will be living there, go with your gut, we did, bought a hideously badly converted building on a great open site, lots of building work and stress for sure, but we ended up with a large family home on half acre, something we never could have afforded any other way - everyone thought we were stupid to buy it at the time!

LocoParentis Wed 13-Feb-13 22:15:31

It looks great, follow your gut feelings and go for it. Otherwise you'll always look back and think we could have been living in that great house

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Wed 13-Feb-13 22:24:26

Buy it, ditch the curtains, enjoy. Your families and friends have no soul!

maddening Wed 13-Feb-13 23:22:12

Poa <faints>

Do it - it's like your own mini grand designs!

maddening Wed 13-Feb-13 23:23:34

In a wood, near the sea in new zealand - you will have a wonderful life there.

It's fantastic! When can we come grin

dayshiftdoris Thu 14-Feb-13 00:27:16

Wow... not only is it unique but its now in a state where you can add value and really make it your own.

I want to live there

MusicalEndorphins Thu 14-Feb-13 00:45:00

I like it, looks so serene.

Pandemoniaa Thu 14-Feb-13 00:53:22

That house is fantastic. Buy it this very minute and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise! I'd love to live there.

Oh I love Plimmerton ! (was brought up on Kapiti coast, now live in Wellington) the beach is amazing, so close to town but far enough away to have the country feel. Have a couple of friends who live there, love going and visiting.
House look lovely.

Bogeyface Thu 14-Feb-13 01:16:44

Honestly? I dont like it! Far too many louvre doors and the kitchen is too small for me, but that doesnt matter.

I am not going to be living in it and you are. So you can safely disregard what I am saying about it, just as you can disregard what your parents are saying. The day they are paying for it and living in it is the day they get to have a say!

I hope you enjoy your new home smile

SomethingOnce Thu 14-Feb-13 01:28:30

YANBU, it's fantastic and you will be as happy as Ewoks!

MammaTJ Thu 14-Feb-13 01:42:54

That look amazing!! Do it!

Jojobump1986 Thu 14-Feb-13 01:52:44

Don't do it OP. You don't want to live there really. Now, where did I put my lottery ticket & how does one go about transporting an entire house half way round the world? wink

<Jealous> envy

Iteotwawki Thu 14-Feb-13 02:09:16

Definitely listen to your instincts and if you love the house, go for it. Everyone said we were mad when we bought our section (no experience of house renovating before let alone building) but we went with what we wanted.

My only thought on looking at those pics (aside from the obvious new carpets, lick of paint etc) is that that much wood will take serious maintenance. I have friends who have less than half that much cedar cladding and it needs restaining at least every 2 years. Takes a long time and will be fairly expensive unless you do it yourselves (you'll need some serious ladders!). (Also near sea and in the relatively harsh NZ sun).

However if you've had your offer accepted it's a bit late, you can't back out! Unless you've put some conditions on it (which I imagine you did given you mention building surveys) anyway.

Looks like a fab place to bring up kids smile

Iteotwawki Thu 14-Feb-13 02:11:16

Oh and I wouldn't worry about resale value. Real estate in NZ is slowly improving but if you're staying there long term the resale value isn't important.

KeatsiePie Thu 14-Feb-13 09:23:33

Seriously jealous. That house is AMAZING. Incredibly beautiful! You're going to love it so much.

So obviously I think YANBU, go for it!

firesidechat Thu 14-Feb-13 09:32:00

As someone who last bought a house purely because they fell in love with it, I would say go for it.

Our current house does meet all our needs, but in many ways it wasn't a sensible choice. It was built by the previous owner and is always described as "quirky" when we show friends round. It may be more difficult to sell than your average square box, but we all love it. It's the only house we've lived in that feels like a home, rather than just a roof over our heads. It's warm, cosy, friendly and has loads of "issues". I don't regret buying it at all.

FeistyLass Thu 14-Feb-13 09:41:41

Before I saw the pics, I was thinking 'it doesn't matter what your parents think especially when it's your dream home'.
Then I saw the photos and it's amazing. No wonder you've fallen in love with it. As long as all you're happy with all the structural checks definitely go for it. Who wants to live in a house the same as everyone else when you can live in a beautiful wooden home on stilts in the middle of a woodland?! I love the views from the windows (ugly curtains but that's easily solved!) and the external lines and internal spaces are stunning. Snap it up and I wish you much joy whilst living there.

WireCatWhore Thu 14-Feb-13 09:48:31

It's lovely. Sod what your parents think.

WhichIsBest Thu 14-Feb-13 09:58:08

I think it is really attractive, the way every window has a view of leaves from the trees. Lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now