Aibu to take a risk and stick with my gut feelings?

(93 Posts)

DH have fallen in love with a house. We have put in an offer which has been accepted and we are now going through all rhe builders checks and legal checks. I should point out we live in NZ so a bit different to UK.

The house we love is a bit unusual. Its was designed by an architect who lived in it for 20 years and is now in need of a bit of love and care. Its also in a slightly odd position as its sits in the middle of a small woodland.

Its also on stilts (not unusual in this part of the world) and is built into the rock in places.

My parents have now made it clear they are not happy about us buying this place. They are worried about maintainance and re-sale value. We are having structural engineers and builders check it out. We know the roof will need some repair in the near future (although is fine at the mo).

I just feel like everyone thinks we are rather nutty for buying this property. But we really have considered it carefully and do not want to sell it in the near future - i want my kids to grow up there. I know it needs maintainance - we are prepared for that.

I should point out that my parents have not seen the house in reality - they are going by photos and google earth. My friends also think we are slightly odd - but admit its in a nice location.

Has anyone else taken a bit of risk when buying their dream home. Did it work out in the end. I am worried that maybe I should be listening to people - but then I dont want to own a conventional house when we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to own something a bit different,

tompuss Wed 13-Feb-13 19:15:05

OP you do realise that, having seen this, we are ALL coming to yours now! Just fab, Do it!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 13-Feb-13 19:15:10

Do it do it do it
That house is amazing

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 13-Feb-13 19:16:44

And if it was mine there us now way I'd ever sell, so no need to worry about resale value

ipswichwitch Wed 13-Feb-13 19:19:21

Buy it! Buy it! But it! Buy it!!!
Cos if you don't I'll be in the next flight to NZ with a briefcase of cash <Wales up from daydream in which I actually have more than two pennies to rub together to buy fab house with>

ipswichwitch Wed 13-Feb-13 19:20:01

Wakes up not Wales up ffs

Maryz Wed 13-Feb-13 19:20:08

How long are you intending to stay there?

We bought a house that was (and is) very different. We knew it would be expensive to keep up and to heat, and that resale might be difficult. But we intended to stay until the kids leave home, and we have been here almost 20 years now.

We have never regretted it (though sometimes people who visit us still think we are mad).

I think if you are going to want to resell in a couple of years it's a dodgy choice. If you intend to stay a while, and can take your time to fix any problems, then go for it.

aldiwhore Wed 13-Feb-13 19:22:46

I completely love it, it has so much potential .... I would be tempted to paint it bright colours though. (and get rid of the curtains!)

Do it. smile It's a place you can really make your own.

aldiwhore Wed 13-Feb-13 19:23:37

maryz I want to see your house now!

CloudsAndTrees Wed 13-Feb-13 19:24:28

It looks amazing!

Spinaroo Wed 13-Feb-13 19:24:32

Agree it looks amazing. I don't think you will regret it

Maryz Wed 13-Feb-13 19:25:39

Mine isn't unlke that. Without the trees and the steep roof!

It also has one window held together with duct tape while we save to replace them.

TwoPoundCharityShopShoes Wed 13-Feb-13 19:26:54

Wowee! Its amazing tell everyone else to shut up

thanks everyone - got to take kids to school - really appreciate all your thoughts

stifnstav Wed 13-Feb-13 19:29:59

Buy it, for the love of god, buy it!

LiveItUp Wed 13-Feb-13 19:30:17

Wow - looks amazing. Buy it and let us know when the house warming is...grin.

We've always stuck our neck out on properties and only once did it not work out well - and that was due to shite neighbours. You don't get too many of those in the middle of woods!

That's a gorgeous house. envy. I hope you'll be very happy there.

Lyrasilvertongued Wed 13-Feb-13 19:35:37

Wow...envy that house is amazing! Go for it.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 13-Feb-13 19:36:24

It looks bloody amazing. Dream house. I would buy it imediately!!!!!

thegreylady Wed 13-Feb-13 19:38:40

What a wonderful house do buy it smile

ReluctantMother Wed 13-Feb-13 19:39:00

Wow! Do it!

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Wed 13-Feb-13 19:39:16

I miss NZ houses sooo much and hate living in a little grey house that looks just like all the other little grey houses everywhere.

Do it I say!

Another vote for buy it! it will be utterly fabulous when you've given it TLC smile

soaccidentprone Wed 13-Feb-13 19:45:38

WOWenvy

could you put PV panels on it and generate your own electricity?

and it's near to a beach (even more envy )

magimedi Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:24

Please send me your email, address & phone numbers (mobile & land line) asap so I can book in for a visit!!

It's amazing & you should go for it & WTF are you worried about what your parents say?

cookielove Wed 13-Feb-13 20:02:46

love it smile do it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now