Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why so many people are bitter?

(84 Posts)

Warning: This is a thread about many threads, and includes references to FB and blogs

I truly don't understand if it is a cultural thing or not. I'm not from the UK, and I really don't see the same reactions over here.
I have noticed many threads on MN slating facebook posts. It seems that if you post about mundane things, people are sneery about it being dull, but if you post about fun things then you are being a show off trying to look more popular than you are.
If you mention anyone else in your post, you will make people feel excluded, but if you don't, then your posts are all 'me, me, me' ?
There seems to be an issue with people planning things on fb, and that it should all be done out of sight, by email.
Personally, I don't know many people who use emails like that, maybe it is more common in the UK?
If people feel so emotionally charged about it, why have facebook at all?

Also there seems to be a real hate on for bloggers. No one is making you read them, and as far as I know, you actually have to go looking for them in the first place. I really don't get it?
It comes across as though anyone who enjoys themselves is deluded, doing it on purpose to make you feel bad, or staging it in some way.

Perhaps I am getting a skewed view, because the people who are fine with it don't pop up on these threads.

Beograde Thu 14-Feb-13 16:53:03

I genuinely don't think it's resentment of success, rather than not liking smugness. I quite like that it's a bit of a national trait that we're self-deprecating. I just think it's a very fine line and hard to define when it's crossed, but must of us know it when we see it

Cerealqueen Thu 14-Feb-13 18:01:20

Good point Beograde.

Pigsmummy Sun 17-Feb-13 13:53:14

FB is great for someone like me who works from home, sitting in front of a pc all day is tedious, FB can be fun. I get annoyed by all the bitching about FB, it isn't open, you only see posts from people that you have added so therefore I theory have at least a slight interest in? If they annoy you then don't read their updates and/or unfriend them?

fedupofnamechanging Sun 17-Feb-13 15:04:02

I genuinely liked all the people I added on fb until I added them. Now they frequently annoy the fuck out of me. I don't befriend, because I remember that IRL, I do actually care for these people, but if I judged them on their fb statuses alone I would consider them to be boastful, smug and rude!

My particular bugbear are using fb to sell things to friends ( unless it is a fb page specifically for a business) or constant boasting. A little bit of boasting is fine, but some people have no concept of when to stfu stop.

Bunfags Sun 17-Feb-13 18:20:14

I must have chosen the remainder of my FB friends wisely, as none of them really boast.

andubelievedthat Sun 17-Feb-13 18:23:11

Moistenedbint has nailed it ,i was going to post my own opinion but who,in this world could follow her post ?a genuine classic ! > i salute you ,Moistenedbint !

meddie Sun 17-Feb-13 18:48:32

only 2 things bug me on facebook. The chain 'share this if you want to get this sick child a heart/kidney etc'
and the blatant fishing for sympathy using cryptic messages such as
'Some times life gets you down, but then you just smile through the pain'

Followed by people going "aww whats up babe xxxx" etc etc

domesticgodless Sun 17-Feb-13 18:56:01

hmm I am swamped with facebraggers on my feed. The thing is I do know them (!) and they are not actually bad people. I guess they must be trying to create a warm happy facade... or maybe they are just incredibly open about what makes them happy (and never experience failure, unhappiness or self doubt)... or maybe I read them wrong and they are total narcissists!!

But honestly (and this is an academic thing) do you need to post every time you win a grant, or finish an article? Do you need to spend every day updating people on your gruelling marathon schedule? Or what your wonderful husband gave you for your birthday? (I live alone so sensitive to that kind of thing ;D)

Kids etc I'm not sure about. I post pics of mine sometimes because dammit I am proud of them :D But only about twice a year.

domesticgodless Sun 17-Feb-13 18:57:04

Must say though I have really revised my opinion of 2 or 3 people based on their obsessively braggy FB style. The odd positive/happy post is not it. It's when every second post is a broadcast of achievement/genius, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now