Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be a petulant child and feel Hard Done By?

(76 Posts)
Greensleeves Wed 13-Feb-13 15:23:46

am stuck at home with a knee injury, I can't weight bear at all and need crutches to get even a tiny distance

I have been referred to the Acute Knee Team (who knew?) and should be seen fairly quickly. My GP thinks I have torn my anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus

The real bugger is that I can't get to the loo safely without help, because I can't get the crutches up the stairs and I need them to get to the loo from the top of the stairs. When dh or kids are here they take the crutches up and give them to me when I get there

I needed the loo earlier and obviously dh couldn't just pop home and help me, he is 5 minutes away by bike and would come if he could but he is under serious pressure today. So we agreed (via messenger) that I would try by myself and take my phone so I could ring him if in trouble. So I did it by myself, couldn't get the crutches up the stairs so had to half-hop/weight bear on the bad knee, which is now agonising. Am aggrieved and sorry for myself. Especially as when I was trying to hop to the loo the phone fell on my foot <childish wail>

I can't phone a fried to come and help me go to the toilet, I really can't. And I can't get at food and drink either because I need both crutches to get to the kitchen. This has been going on since last Monday and I am fed up!

self-pitying rant over. Please don't flame me. Am not blaming anyone.

magimedi Argentina Wed 13-Feb-13 16:04:32

Poor, poor you.

I ws also going to suggest some sort of haul rope & tackle device to get crutches up to you.

valiumredhead Wed 13-Feb-13 16:06:30

The stats iirc are something ridiculous like you have an 80% chance of falling and hurting yourself after an accident/injury so be VERY careful OP. I remember being shocked ( and scared!) when my physio told me.

whois Wed 13-Feb-13 16:12:08

Sounds rubbish!

I would defo wee in something and tip down the sink tho, not gong to kill anyone if you give the sink a clean afterwards.

Second the idea for having a rucksack that you can put food and bottles of drinks in to carry from the kitchen to sitting room. Or move the kettle into the sitting room so you can make a cup of tea without moving.

valiumredhead Wed 13-Feb-13 16:15:29

How does one see an OT if you aren't being discharged from hospital? This is what they go through with you before you are discharged.

something like this and a juggrin

thanks for the juxtaposition comment greensleevesgrin

valiumredhead Wed 13-Feb-13 16:16:10

Get dh to make you a thermos of tea before he goes to work to keep in the front room.

Re food and drink - get hold of a flask, or one of those travel coffee mugs - you can then safely carry a hot drink from the kitchen (friend of mine had a hip replacement and this was brilliant, she just kept her china mug beside her chair in the sitting room and refilled it from the flask)

Also a small rucksack - if you are making food, do it like a packed lunch, put it in a Tupperware in your bag, pop it on your back, and then you have two hands free to use the crutches.

A bar stool like this is useful in the kitchen so that you can sit and use both hands to prepare stuff.

If it's the tinkling sound in the bucket that puts you off, put a nappy in the bottom to soak up the wee?

Also, can you manage with one crutch? Leave one upstairs and one downstairs? Do you know anyone with a spare walking stick or two so you could have one crutch and one walking stick?

e.g. my granny's old one is under the stairs in my parent's house, she died 10 years ago but the DGC's still take it out to play, and my DD used it when she had a twisted ankle

valiumredhead Wed 13-Feb-13 16:18:27

Ime a jug is much easier to pee in wink

Can you not just get DH to move everything you need to upstairs?
Supply of food, telly, phone etc.

Sorry, not offering my granny's stick unfortunately it's not mine to give - but you never know who might have something similar!

Floggingmolly Wed 13-Feb-13 16:20:04

Can't you borrow another pair of crutches from the hospital, or is one pair the limit?

Greensleeves Wed 13-Feb-13 16:20:04

I am a bit annoyed about how things have gone actually

I injured the leg once in Feb and once in April last year, both times I was in agony and went to A&E. They x-rayed it and said go home and rest it, so I did. It hasn't been right at all but did get to the point where I could "use" my leg properly. The second time, it was the same doctor, she smirked and said "Still nothing wrong with your knee Mrs X". I felt like a right knobber

so last Monday it finally goes completely. I went to the GP, he poked and prodded, looked at the history and said it's probably anterior cruciate ligament tear and torn meniscus. Says he will refer me and to go home and keep weight off it. Oh and nip up to A&E to ask for some crutches.

It's been a bloody long week, stuck on the sofa on my own. Hence the grumpy whingey thread. grin

I have a couple of friends who popped round and made me a drink and a sandwich after I broke my leg.

thb it was a complete pita. I did internet shopping and bought foods that could easily be cooked. we also had take ways quite a lot, otherwise dh would have been completely shattered.

Greensleeves Wed 13-Feb-13 16:22:17

They also said dh couldn't go up and get crutches for me, even if the GP rang ahead or wrote a note or whatever. I have to schlep up there on one leg, on public transport. Luckily he had a workmate who hadn't given his back yet.

The rucksack/flask idea is brilliant, thank you. Will definitely do that now!

Here is a link to the Red Cross free loan service in case you have a branch near you.

I think you have every right to feel hard done by. Don't write off pissing in a bucket, it's a very handy skill if you ever decide to take up wild camping.

witchwhoknitssocks Wed 13-Feb-13 16:42:24

As regards not liking to pee in a bucket because someone else has to empty it, you can use a pedal bin liner with cat litter in (the wood or paper type stuff is best). the wee gets soaked into the litter so turns 'solid' and can be tied up and disposed of. Its no worse probably better than a disposable nappy in the bin smile and will save your knee

top camping tip so you don't have to trek across a field at night in case anyone was wondering how I discovered this grin

witchwhoknitssocks Wed 13-Feb-13 16:43:30

whoops should have said pedal bin liner in bucket with cat litter blush

maddening Wed 13-Feb-13 16:47:26

Could you get a comode for downstairs? I think the nhs would have one they could lend you?

You need it set up so everything is in easy reach and just go upstairs when you have assistance.

maddening Wed 13-Feb-13 16:47:46

Yanbu to feel hard done by btw

Darksideofthe80s Wed 13-Feb-13 16:52:04

I feel your pain op, I had the same injury a few years ago sad

I wouldn't attempt to pee in a bucket, jug etc, not only would it be impossible for you to squat over a bucket, the chances of you keeping your balance on crutches whilst holding a jug would be quite slim.

Are you brave enough to try tena [grim]

shewee

Booyhoo Wed 13-Feb-13 17:07:30

hook arms through crutches and bum shuffle back wards up the stairs using good leg and hands to push yourself. crutches will be there with you when you get to the top.

why cant you use both crutches to get to the kitchen?

Greensleeves Wed 13-Feb-13 17:11:01

I can get to the kitchen on both crutches, just about, although I can't stand for any length of time once I get there. I would have huge difficulty in getting a glass of water/anything out of fridge/cupboard and carrying it back.

I have tried to get upstairs on my bum with the crutches hooked onto my arms but I just can't do it. I come downstairs that way but going up is more difficult, I need all my arm and upper body strength to keep any weight or pressure off the leg. I am doing my best sad

gallifrey Wed 13-Feb-13 17:18:45

They should have shown you how to get up stairs using crutches while you were in hospital.
if you have a hand rail on your stairs hold onto that with one hand and use the other crutch in your other hand. sort of tuck the other crutch into the same hand. Then you can hop up the stairs and have both crutches with you. Remember to hop first then bring the crutch up after. hope this helps and I just haven't confused you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now