To not believe celebrities when they talk about their diets

(109 Posts)
atthewelles Wed 13-Feb-13 11:22:57

Those articles in magazines where they ask a celeb about their typical day's food intake and its always:

Breakfast: Bowl of porridge with blueberries and mango stirred through

Lunch: A vegetable stir fry

Dinner: Some grilled fish and a salad

I bet most of them live on crisps, cigarettes and free champagne.

ppeatfruit Wed 13-Feb-13 12:12:29

True WorralLibertyit seems that the more obese society becomes the more emphasis there is on food and cooking but not health.

FreudiansSlipper Wed 13-Feb-13 12:13:37

Liz Hurley has been quite open about how much hard work it is to stay slim for her and that she deprives herself and often feels hungry but I guess for her it is worth it

I do not thnk it is all lies some people could eat and eat and do nothing and stay slim I was until i was poorly a few years ago one of those lucky people. Though some that have suddenly lost a lot of weight by little changes I think is not being honest you have been over weight most of your adult life you will have to work hard to loose weight and keep it off

limitedperiodonly Wed 13-Feb-13 12:13:40

Yes, they do CailinDana

Hammy02 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:14:16

No skinny celeb is naturally like that. Look at old photos of Victoria Beckham or Kate Middleton. Both were normal sizes before they were famous.

Bogeyface Wed 13-Feb-13 12:14:18

Cailin it matters because it creates a false expectation of young girls who feel failures when they are eating well and exercising but arent a size zero (4 or 6 I believe in UK sizes). They dont know that they couldnt possibly be that size without a gastric bypass or drugs, so they feel bad about themselves. In a vulnerable young woman that could (I said could) lead to an eating disorder.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Feb-13 12:14:52

Bogeyface Fern didn't need to prove 'celebs lie'.

Celebs are human and many humans lie

What I find a bit strange is the assumption they're all lying

And also the interest in what famous people put in their mouths and then shit out the next day.

<< Overly frank emoticon >>

CailinDana Wed 13-Feb-13 12:16:43

Fair enough Bogey, it just boggles me a bit that people actually read a list of what someone they don't even know eats confused. It must be weird for the celebrities too - even their food is on show. It also surprises me that young girls would read shite like that and actually believe it. But I suppose it makes sense.

poozlepants Wed 13-Feb-13 12:18:58

Natalie Cassidy lost weight because she said she was eating like this and exercising. Oh yes and abusing laxatives and nearly developing an eating disorder. I remember reading an interview with Julianne Moore yonks ago where she said she was hungry all the time and so were most Hollywood actresses. It's sad really because although they say they are a size 0 because they are naturally thin and have a super healthy lifestyle they are losing weight or staying so thin because they aren't eating enough of whatever it is healthy or otherwise.

Bogeyface Wed 13-Feb-13 12:20:27

I dont read it, I dont care if a celeb eats seaweed or unicorns! I just remember that one Liz Hurley thing because I thought that she must really stink!

But young girls do read it. They want to look like VB or whoever, and dont realise that the reality isnt "Fresh air, lots of water and regular exercise" but starvation, drugs (for some) and cigarettes.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 13-Feb-13 12:20:30

Agree that Liz Hurley is actually quite honest in this department. She has talked about how she shut herself away after giving birth (albeit chez Elton), to do load of exercise and eat very little, as being seen larger would be detrimental to her work. She's talked about how she easts very little when she has an event, how it's a choice she's made, etc etc.

Most of what you read in magazines is made up. Probably by the publicist.

Bogeyface Wed 13-Feb-13 12:21:15

I wonder how many of this generation of skinnies will end up with bone problems when they are older sad

ppeatfruit Wed 13-Feb-13 12:25:16

Historically (if you look at a star like Marilyn Monroe) the fashions change in weight as well as everything else. Perhaps it's good to emphasise this for impressionable young insecure girls to help them understand.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Feb-13 12:26:26

Isn't the readership of stupid gossip magazines much higher in the over 25s than in teenagers?

Personally I wish parents would stop reading them. I don't think it shows a good example to their kids at all.

I genuinely couldn't tell you who eats what, who's wearing what and who's shagging who...and I doubt any of my family could either.

If people stopped buying/reading that shit, it would no longer exist and then there would be nothing to worry about regarding the influence it has over young women/girls.

CailinDana Wed 13-Feb-13 12:26:58

Sounds like a rotten way to live. Who in their right mind would want to be famous? It just seems like you lose all your comforts, even the ability to eat something nice after a long day.

Saski Wed 13-Feb-13 12:28:28

I agree Worra. I don't like to see parents reading Heat or whatever in full view of their kids.

atthewelles Wed 13-Feb-13 12:33:36

The thing is Worral I'm sure some celebs eat like that. But you never seem to see an article where they deviate from that pattern; its always grilled fish, brown rice, lots of veg, no mention of a sneaky glass of wine with dinner. Always.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Feb-13 12:37:04

I get what you're saying atthewelles but crucially here the food listed in the OP was a typical day's food intake.

On a typical day, many people don't eat chocolate/crisps/drink champagne etc...because those things are treats and not part of a staple diet IYSWIM?

limitedperiodonly Wed 13-Feb-13 12:43:26

Fern Britton was disgracefully pilloried for having a gastric band. The woman had an eating disorder. She had medical treatment for the effects and possibly counselling to tackle the cause. She wasn't obliged to talk about it.

If you read her interviews prior to the expose of her terrible crime, she actually tried to play it down, talking about calorie counting and bike riding and then moving on. The reason why she said anything was that the kind of magazines she appeared in are obsessed by weight and many of their readers are too.

I know one magazine editor who felt personally affronted by the news. She believed that kind of rapid weight loss could come about in that way even though she's been on enough diets to know it wasn't true. It was her and not Britton who was responsible for endless fucking: 'Woo, woo! Hooray for Fern!' articles so she only had herself to blame.

That this woman has major body issues and is obsessed by what other people eat and is always searching for the dream diet was no coincidence.

I also agree that Liz Hurley has been honest.

Floggingmolly Wed 13-Feb-13 12:47:55

Wasn't she pilloried for denying she had had a gastric band fitted, and in fact publicly endorsing some slimming products, claiming they were the reason for the weight loss?

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48:15

I think that menu sounds quite nice.

What about the old chestnut, "I am just such a busy mum/actress/model/whatever that I just forget to eat". yeah, right

ppeatfruit Wed 13-Feb-13 12:50:08

worral sadly there are a lot of ridiculous celeb. programmes on telly for any impressionable people to watch.

ChairmanWow Wed 13-Feb-13 12:52:00

They might not all be lying, but you can bet they're not all telling the truth. Or is there some special sleb gene they have which enables them to eat like a horse yet maintain the figure of a 10 year old boy, which seems to be the, ahem, 'feminine' ideal these days.

Fags, charlie, diet coke.

And don't get my started on plastic surgery denial. I mean have you seen Kylie these days? She doesn't even look like Kylie! grin

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 13-Feb-13 12:52:47

I agree with you, limited, but up to a point. I do think that with regards to the media, if you invite the wolves in, don't be surprised if they bite you. So in Fern's case, she had talked a lot about weight loss and diet. She was advertising Ryvita. Her media persona was all about accessible/approachable honesty. Hence people - the audience - also had a right to feel let down when it turned out that she had not been utterly upfront.

showtunesgirl Wed 13-Feb-13 12:52:58

The only people I know that are skinny as anything and can eat what they like are dancers but then they need the calories.

Without exception, all the thin actresses I know are either on a very restrictive diet or have an eating disorder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now