To cry every time I hear Slipping through my fingers in Mamma Mia

(148 Posts)
crazy8 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:44:47

I have a gorgeous, beautiful sometimes bratty DD who is 7. I can't imagine her growing up and leaving home. I know it will happen one day.

Floggingmolly Wed 13-Feb-13 12:26:03

Oh littlejo, sad

eminemmerdale Wed 13-Feb-13 12:26:24

littlejo sad I am so sorry.
I have a 22 year old dd and a 7 year old dd and,due to many things, wasn't the best mum to dd22 sad When I first heard that song I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. So true. 'sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture..' Oh yes please.

FreudiansSlipper Wed 13-Feb-13 12:29:40

littlejo I am sorry sad

We can all miss a time that has passed too quickly but a time that can never be is heartbreakingly sad I hope you can remember the happier times with your dd x

Yep - a veritable sobfest here whenever I hear it, and I am crying now.

So sorry for your loss littlejo.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:37:15

Littlejo, my deepest sympathies for your loss.

I'd never heard the song until Mamma Mia, was it written for the film/show? I knew all the other Abba songs in it.

pigletmania Wed 13-Feb-13 12:39:34

I agree dd is 5 and has ASD I have not been the best mum to her, I am trying to before its too late

littlejo67 Wed 13-Feb-13 13:06:21

Thank you all for your kind words. Freudian, so true - it is painful when we also grieve for a future that was stolen from us.

bruffin Wed 13-Feb-13 13:10:15

First time I head it was at the cinema with Dd then 13. I sobbed as well. Toy Story 3 had the same effect on me as Ds 17 was born the year toy story came out and was always a huge buzz fan andcwill hopefully be off to university next year.

SassySpice Wed 13-Feb-13 13:16:40

I cried too when I saw it at the cinema.
I've watched the DVD many times, and always have to pause it to recover my composure after this scene.
When I watched it with DH I had to go upstairs when the scene began as I knew he'd laugh at me sobbing and I would have punched him

Abitwobblynow Wed 13-Feb-13 13:52:59

Has anyone else noticed how dark some Abba songs are? They sound so pop and 'wall of sound' but the lyrics are really meaningful.

'Winner takes it all'
'SOS'

Errr... [mind gone blank]

It is lovely to hear how much you love your little peeps. And it really is true: how I wish I could turn back the clock and have them all over again. I would have had more, and this time NEVER got impatient, once confused

Abitwobblynow Wed 13-Feb-13 13:54:25

And for when your sones are pre-teen: Master and Commander.

When the little midshipman gets his arm cut off. And the little lieutenant gets killed.

[Sob]

Abitwobblynow Wed 13-Feb-13 13:57:32

And another one!

Wall-E. When Eva goes blank and withdrawn, and he keeps calling to her: Eva, Eva

This film was on when my H was having an affair (but I didnt' know), and this is what it was like.
Or if one of my chidren died!

[Wobbly wailing]

awaynboilyurheid Wed 13-Feb-13 14:15:19

Daughter no2, my baby, has just left home too so yes I do shed a tear bawl eyes out when I hear that song she will be back its only for a few months then I can go back to happily moaning about the mess she makes again!

ladymariner Wed 13-Feb-13 14:32:08

Toy Story 3 had me absolutely howling.....I watched in the cinema with dh, ds and friends and I was in absolutely bits. He too will hopefully be going to university next year and the thought of him leaving home is breaking my heart (although not in front of him, obviously!), so when Andy gave the toys away it was just so poignant.....I was a total mess and then even when we got out to the car park I started again!!!! And pretty much every time I've watched it since......(note to self, for gods sake toughen up, woman!!!)

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Feb-13 14:34:37

I can't watch any Toy Storys as I find them too melancholic/sad. Also I feel like I'm being manipulated. Not keen. Luckily neither are my kids.

Shagmundfreud Wed 13-Feb-13 14:39:07

SOBBED watching this for the first time.

But as I live in the SE I now comfort myself with the knowledge that my dc's won't be able to move out until they're 40, or until I die and leave them the house. Whichever comes sooner. grin

eminemmerdale Wed 13-Feb-13 14:41:00

I have never seen Mamma Mia, just know the song via my sad teenage obsession with Abba blush

eminemmerdale Wed 13-Feb-13 14:42:24

It's on the Album 'Visitors' 1977 I believe, written for Bjorn and agnaethas daughter. <goes to find a life>

Lynned Wed 13-Feb-13 14:46:08

Just thinking of my dn, nearly 13,' whose dm has missed nearly the whole damn lot, ( she died when dn was 2.5) hmm

shallweshop Wed 13-Feb-13 14:52:58

I am in tears just thinking about that song, let alone actually listening to it!! DD is 8 and I just want time to slow right down.

I hate it when people constantly say things like 'before you know it she'll be a teenager' and 'it seems like yesterday that so and so was that age' etc. I try hard to appreciate every second and beat myself up if I have had a shouty day.

DDs 18 and I am so not ready to let her go sad but I will have to let her I know, can`t listen to that song. Oh its gone so fast.

shallweshop Wed 13-Feb-13 14:58:01

Still in tears and need to pull myself together for the school run!

bloody hell, stupidly just listened to it sad sobbing like a blardy idiot now. DD making cakes for a fund raising thing shes doing tomorrow and needs my help with the icing, so she still needs me grin

But, it is horrible as it only seemed like yesterday that she use to slip her little hand in mine as we walked along, I loved that and remember thinking then I must`nt ever forget that feel.

Lambzig Wed 13-Feb-13 15:07:39

I put it on my ipod, but cant listen to it out in public as I howl inconsolably. DD is 3 and I cant bear that one day she wont hold my hand.

nooka Wed 13-Feb-13 15:28:50

I've never really understood the premise of the song as I love watching both my children grow up and have no regrets for the past (especially the screaming times!). I'm also looking forward to them leaving home and starting their own independent adventures.

But of course it's not unreasonable for other people to feel sad, I just don't share it (especially as my 12 year old keeps telling me how she'd like to speed up time and get through high school fast as she finds it so stressful).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now