Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To cry every time I hear Slipping through my fingers in Mamma Mia

(148 Posts)
crazy8 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:44:47

I have a gorgeous, beautiful sometimes bratty DD who is 7. I can't imagine her growing up and leaving home. I know it will happen one day.

I grew up listening to Abba and me and my mum used to sing "Slipping through my fingers" I could never understand why mum cried.

Now I have my own DC I sob every time I hear itsad

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl.

DD is almost 5, DS is 7, I feel like i've blinked and missed it all. <Blub> sad

And this bit......

Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Good god, Balling my eyes out now sad

Shodan Wed 13-Feb-13 10:02:52

Oh god it's awful.

I get a sore throat and snotty nose when I listen to it- I have just one more year with DS1 until he leaves home for uni.

Ugh. I am going to be one of those mad women who goes into their bedroom to sniff the left-behind clothes, I just know it blush

ladymariner Wed 13-Feb-13 10:17:01

You and me both shodan xx

hippoherostandinghere Wed 13-Feb-13 10:29:45

Had to You tube that song and it made my cry especially the line 'funny little girl'.

Butterfly Kisses makes me cry every time, especially when I was getting married.

MsVestibule Wed 13-Feb-13 10:42:32

Although I've always liked Abba, I'd never heard this song before the film Mamma Mia. I was watching it cuddled up on the sofa with my DD (now 6) a few months ago on a rainy afternoon. This song came on and I just started crying sobbing which set DD off too!

She drives me nuts sometimes, but it's impossible to think that one day soon she won't want me to be involved in every aspect of her life and thoughts. <sobs again>

choceyes Wed 13-Feb-13 10:51:45

Never watched Mamma mia and don't wish to, but have head the Abba version. Yes it is sad. Got a lump in my throat right now. DS is 4 and DD is 2. They drive me nuts and I always wish they would grow up quicker (especially DD - please grow up and sleep through the night!! - I've had over 4yrs of disturbed nights and I've had enough!!). But it is awful to think that one day they will go off on their own and I won't see them everyday anymore. I have 7 more months with DS before he goes off to school in Sept. Must make the most of them.

pookamoo Wed 13-Feb-13 10:51:45

STOP IT ALL OF YOU I am tearing up just reading the thread! grin

springlamb Wed 13-Feb-13 10:53:39

I think the song was specially written for the play/film (by whatsisface).

I can't bear to listen to it. You think you have it bad, with your 6 and 7 yr old dds, wait until they are 11 and you are watching it happen day by day.

Waiting for the 1 March letter to say which secondary school she'll be at for the next 7 years.
Nodding gravely at her suggestion that she hides a small sanitary towel in her rucksack in case she starts her periods at school.
Being told by violin teacher that less than a year after moving to a 1/2 size, she now needs a 3/4...how could I not have noticed!
Measuring her chest at her request to ensure she doesn't need a bra yet like her friend...I hope I was right in saying that 27AAA means we have a little time.
Respecting her decision to start using the upstairs bathroom rather than the downstairs shower room (then hanging around in her towel for 20 mins like she used to).
Spontaneously hugging her older brother after his acting performance last night and yelling 'you were great'...she used to hate him.

God I'm going back to bed or something.

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 13-Feb-13 10:57:01

Spring, it wasnt, its a proper ABBA song from years back.

I always tear up hearing it. "What happened to the wonderful adventures....." that bit always gets to me.

MsVestibule Wed 13-Feb-13 11:04:16

Just watched it on Youtube twice get three pieces of kitchen roll first and blubbed lots more. Bogey me too - and it's not even big adventures she's bothered about. Far too often, I'll say impatiently 'in a minute, I'm busy' when she wants me to colour in with her or read to her sad.

springlamb Wed 13-Feb-13 11:04:17

Really? Well I never knew that, I never ever heard it before! I shall hunt it down, I'd like to hear their version. I must be confusing it with some other project Beny and Bjorn provided original stuff for.

Spice17 Wed 13-Feb-13 11:07:26

It was played at my cousins funeral, she was only 44 and died of a brain tumour leavinng 2 children, so cannot listen to it without sobbing uncontrollably. It was absolutley heartbreakingly awful at the funeral as you can imagine.

I also now have a 4 month old DD, so has a double meaning. Tearing up just thinking about it.

Floggingmolly Wed 13-Feb-13 11:09:13

My dd is 12. The sang a (slightly modified) version of this at the Year 6 leavers assembly last year; and the hall nearly had to be swabbed out with mops and buckets. I still can't watch the recording without dissolving again sad

Scrazy Wed 13-Feb-13 11:10:01

YANBU. I first heard it when I went to see Mamma Mia at the cinema and didn't expect to be sobbing uncontrollably at what was a feel good film.

I was a single mum of one teen daughter, so the lyrics got to me.

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 13-Feb-13 11:11:28

They did co-write Chess with Tim Rice, that might be what you are thinking of. Imo the original version is better than the Mama Mia version.

ledkr Spain Wed 13-Feb-13 11:13:39

I feel ok until when she says all the and we had. Dd is 11 and I get all regretful that we haven't had any adventures like living on a lush Greek island with lots of exciting friends

TisILeclerc Wed 13-Feb-13 11:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scrazy Wed 13-Feb-13 11:21:14

It was an actual Abba song. I liked their version but only goggled it after I saw the film.

The lines that got me was 'What happened to those wonderful adventure, the places we had planned to go and see, well some of them we did but most we didn't and why I just don't know'. This inspired me to make the most of DD and not put off lovely holidays etc.

The other line was 'I watch her go with a...... and I sense of guilt I cannot hide'. I brought her up on my own from day one and yes, sometimes I felt guilt at her not having the normal family set-up.

She is now at uni and tells me how proud she was of me and the way she was brought up.

Welling up now reading this thread.

ladymariner Wed 13-Feb-13 12:11:24

"the wonderful adventures....." lines are the ones that set me off too, I look at ds and he's so grown up and handsome and becoming more and more independent and I think I'd give anything to do it all over again with him.....oh god, I'm going again.....

FreudiansSlipper Wed 13-Feb-13 12:18:51

I have started to cry long before while watching MM through boredom

I do not feel like about ds, I often wish time would slow down. I want him to go off and see the world when he is old enough after university

littlejo67 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:19:21

I was so choked when I saw this song. Had to watch it a few times. It stirred up memories, especially the bit where mum was running her fingers through her daughters hair. I did that for my daughter all the time. My daughter died in 2002 when she was nearly ten. It was a terminal illness. So slipping through my fingers is so apt. I see 20yr old girls now and think how beautiful they are and how lucky the parents are- that should be me. I have two boys as well but she was my only daughter. The time is so precious, its good to know that people realise what they have while they still have it.

pigletmania Wed 13-Feb-13 12:20:35

Reminds me of jade goodies funeral, they played that there

pigletmania Wed 13-Feb-13 12:21:28

Littlejo so sad for you big hugs

littlejo67 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:24:31

Thank you piglet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now