to think some people just don't know when to stop (FB related)

(7 Posts)
kim147 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:07:31

A few weeks ago I posted about our walking group. It's a little one and we have a FB page. Someone was putting on loads of photos about his own life and hols on there and people asked him to stop as this was clogging up the page.

So he complained about that and posted a letter to the "management" on the site.

The comittee decided to wait till next week's AGM to discuss this but had decided in the interim to ask people to keep the page relevant.

He's just posted even more irrelevant photos - and then he posted the PM message he received from a committe member who had asked him to stop.

I can get he's upset but he's just going on and on about this and TBH making himself look like a complete idiot. Posting private PMs on a FB site crosses a line in my book.

AIBU to think some people don't know when to stop and wait till a sensible time and place to have a mature debate rather than airing their grievances in public?

Nanny0gg Tue 12-Feb-13 22:10:35

Why don't you just have one or two 'managers' of the site, and set it so that you can't have random people putting up what they like?

Bit more work, but if he stays part of the group you're going to have a problem.

kim147 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:14:07

nanny We did that - and got accused of censorship and dictatorship.

kim147 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:15:30

I just wish he'd shut up and wait till the AGM rather than going on and on. It does not give a good impression to new members. He's been asked to stop and wait.

But no one tells him what to do.

aldiwhore Tue 12-Feb-13 22:15:36

This happens everywhere not just FB. My Dad has become the BAD GUY by keeping committee stuff private and confidential and another committee member tittle tattling to make my dad look bad... it was a serious issue about a certain volunteer's suitabilty to be involved, reluctance to CRB check, you can guess the rest.

All you can and should do as either a casual group or formal committee is do things by the book... however, I do not think that everything should wait until the AGM especially as the situation now has changed.

Posting private messages should mean instant ejection from the group pending enquiry. That much only should be made public. No mentioning of names (it will be obvious) but a defense of procedure and being seen to be doing something.

Not sure that makes sense, YANBU.

Unfortunately, introducing a rule will work against the morale of the group... so the wording must be clear "no personal irrelevent shit" = low morale, "excessive posting of unrelated material will result in it being deleted in the first instance, a warning in the second and ejection from the FB page in the third" is more open ended. It's very tricky.

aldiwhore Tue 12-Feb-13 22:17:49

By the way, problems need solving as they happen... can you imagine what the reaction would be if MNHQ posted a statement saying "Please wait until our AGM in October before we even consider discussing this issue let alone solving it"???!!

Nanny0gg Tue 12-Feb-13 23:18:58

Suggest to him that he starts his own group?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now