to think people who serve up American pancakes on Pancake day and crepes for breakfast should be shot?

(110 Posts)
ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:03:10

Well am I?

I have to add a disclaimer that one of my parents is American and the other English so the only time I got crepes/thin pancakes was on Shrove Tuesday and American pancakes were a frequent breakfast treat (which I really don't like).

I would be soooo disappointed (and have been in the past) to get them served at the wrong time.

AIBU?

crepes to me are more even textured... like this but ignore the poncy garnishing and are spread with a

3.bp.blogspot.com/-gCt4niCvPto/Tyl3mg4k-oI/AAAAAAAAAIs/t659JhKvEYU/s1600/breakfast%2520crepe.jpeg

english ones look more like this

anthonywindram.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/english-pancake.jpg

and American ones like this

www.averagebetty.com/images/flapjacks_stack_far420.jpg

I don't use a recipe for any of them, I do it by how the batter looks and feels.

Noone making yummy german ones? OMG yum.

PiggyPlumPie Tue 12-Feb-13 19:38:31

Proper thin pancakes on Pancake day with lemon and sugar only - nothing else is right IMO!

Fat/American pancakes can be had at any other time of year with whatever sauce takes your fancy.

giraffesCantFlipPancakes Tue 12-Feb-13 19:41:36

I made drop scones - where do they come in to it?

CarlingBlackMabel Tue 12-Feb-13 19:42:05

I agree with SpoonyFuckers classifications.

And do Scotch pancakes, or drop Scones, count?

Lemon and sugar, or orange juice and golden syrup.

My mother used to put raspberry vinegar on.

Nutella is a newfangled topping, and better deployed on crepes, IMO.

I'm meant to be fasting until lunch and this is not helping.

Piggy, what if you have the lemon and sugar version first, is it allowed to indulge further with different ones after that?

(patiently waiting with nutella in hand -- only 20 minutes until lunch)

Meh, I made American pancakes today, simply because the dc like them! So shoot me.

I made pancakes for the children today. Some turned out like crepes, others turned out like American pancakes...

We're having pancakes tomorrow. Two and half hours in a dentist chair has not put me in the mood to slave over the stove this evening. Luckily the DC are understanding smile

witchface Tue 12-Feb-13 19:53:29

Yeah i am pretty sure that scottish pancakes were exported to america and are just coming back.

Dh calls Scottish pancakes bannocks!

WitchOfEndor Tue 12-Feb-13 19:59:27

I make dropped scones aka Scotch Pancakes as per my old BeRo cookery book, I make them using a whisk instead of a spoon and they are thick and fluffy and lovely and I make them the size of American Pancakes

Thin pancakes are horrible.

PhilMcAverty Tue 12-Feb-13 20:05:52

DH made the pancakes tonight. I ate them smothered in nutella, while making the right sounds.

I didn't have it in me to point out that pancakes shouldn't be CRUNCHY. shock

LauraPashley Tue 12-Feb-13 20:09:39

Feeling slightly more enlightened!

Yy to whoever said Scottish pancakes went to America.. I make pancakes with a raising agent but they are little sized, they are just "pancakes" to me as I am Scottish! Cooked in butter, in a frying pan.

In my house we have lunch pancake followed by pudding pancake! (Cheese, then Nutella grin)
Where do you make Crepes then?

thebody Tue 12-Feb-13 20:11:29

Yeuk, pancakes are vile anyway.

I made pancakes with apple sauce for me and DS today. Yummmmmy.

I think all this faff about American pancakes and crepes is bollocks. A pancake is a pancake, whether it's thick or thin. Thick ones are better though! grin

YABabitU for judging people on their pancake day eatings. I think that's a bit weird.

Laura, if you really want pudding pancake you should make this...

riascollection.blogspot.com/2012/05/30-layered-nutella-crepe-cake-for-my.html

(well not that specific one, I haven't tried her recipe but have done a pancake cake with nutella that went down very well with the family)

CarlingBlackMabel Tue 12-Feb-13 20:13:15

OMG!
The Be-Ro cookery book! Is it a little narrow pamphlet?
My Mum had one of those and she swore by it.
I wish I had a Be-Ro cookery book.
envy

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-Feb-13 20:14:36

Crikey OP did you get out of bed on the wrong side hmm

What I thought was a light hearted thread has actually made me cross. I am sorry that "some people" keep getting it so "wrong" <bows in reverence to OP>

Sheesh!

Hassled Tue 12-Feb-13 20:14:55

I'm with GalaxyDefender - a pancake is a pancake. You make the batter (in my case, identical to my Yorkshire Pudding batter) and you fry some. You bin the first attempt because it's always a dud. Whatever else emerges is a pancake.

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 20:17:35

@threebeeonegee those were neither a crepe or American pancake. They sound like a culinary disaster.

You DO NOT decide whether a pancake is one or the other as it comes out of the pan.

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 20:18:43

@galaxy it is not bollocks.

That attitude is why I never accept pancakes of Brits (except myself).

ethelb: you are so right! They tasted good though!

skullcandy Tue 12-Feb-13 20:20:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FellatioNels0n Tue 12-Feb-13 20:23:15

YANBU. I despair of people sometimes, I really do. Have they no sense of tradition? No shame? No standards?

Don't worry, I don't think any of us will be offering you pancakes anytime soon anyway ethelb. wink

I cook for appreciative polite people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now