Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU weddings and ds

(36 Posts)
yojojo1 Tue 12-Feb-13 11:58:44

I suspect, I may be BU but anyway….
Firstly I need to say that me and sil aren’t close, in fact she’s generally quite rude whenever we do see each other.
So bil and sil-2b are getting married this year, saw them at Xmas asked how plans were going etc etc all seemed very laid back.
I bought my ds an outfit to wear to the wedding, got it early as last year I wanted something similar and they sold out.
Saw bil and sil 2b in Jan, and they then said they would like to buy ds an outfit to wear to the wedding, it was pointed out that he would not be expected to do anything and he was not a pageboy (ds is 2) me and dh politely declined saying we’d already got him something to wear that he’d be comfortable in.
A week later mil emails and again mentions an outfit for ds, again we politely decline saying we already have something for him.
This week bil emails to say they’ve already bought him an outfit and that they want him to be pageboy. I’m really not sure ds would be any good as a pageboy, he’s in the terrible two’s and he likes to tantrum when he doesn’t get his own way (what 2yr old doesn’t!) and he’s super clingy to me, so not sure he will want to leave my side. I think it will be less distracting for the bride and groom to just have him as a guest.
Now am I BU by saying that I’d rather he wasn’t a pageboy and that he wears what me and dh have chosen for him?
Dh thinks we’re being a bit rude by saying no, but I feel they’re being rude by ignoring us when we politely declined and going ahead and buying the outfit.

AmberLeaf Tue 12-Feb-13 14:36:38

What Scholes said.

TheElephantIsADaintyBird Tue 12-Feb-13 14:44:40

I think YABabitU, it really shouldn't be this big of a problem to just go along with it. They don't sound very bridezilla-ey, they probably just want their nephew to have a small part in their day.

Shut up moaning and get on with it.

TalkativeJim Tue 12-Feb-13 15:09:31

If they want a miniature Victorian pub landlord in their photographs, that's their call!

GreenShadow England Tue 12-Feb-13 15:15:11

It's their day. Let them have their way.

It's unfortunate that you have already bought him an outfit, but there are bigger issues to worry about and I really wouldn't make too much of a fuss.

Dogsmom Tue 12-Feb-13 15:20:28

I'd say yanbu, it seems very odd that even after you telling them that you had bought an outfit that they twice said that they were buying him one and again ignored you.

It's also odd that they've just decided that he WILL be pageboy and bought an outift anyway, surely people ask first if the parents are ok with it and then the child is taken to try the outfit on?

usualsuspect Tue 12-Feb-13 15:20:36

'PFB vs Bridezilla. It's like Mega Shark v Giant Octopus'

grin

Op , just let him wear their outfit, it's no biggie really.

He will probably get his buffet all down it anyway. Then you can change him.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Tue 12-Feb-13 15:47:06

Another YABU. (Sorry) I would go along with it and not worry about it. Take the original outfit for a spare.

yojojo1 Tue 12-Feb-13 19:14:22

Thanks for all your responses, I did suspect that I was BU!
We have now decided that ds will wear what the bride and groom have chosen!
Thanks all smile

Arithmeticulous Tue 12-Feb-13 19:25:43

Ah so the Octopus wins Round #1 grin

foslady Tue 12-Feb-13 20:29:55

Ebay your outfit and put it towards the begging poem the gift

GreenShadow England Tue 12-Feb-13 20:33:36

Good to hear you've made a decision.

Hope the day goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now