Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask how common is it to get pregnant from the withdrawal method

(65 Posts)
AmberSocks Tue 12-Feb-13 10:37:02

or from putting the condom on just before "the moment"?

I know,very silly that i dont even know but until i read the other thread i didnt realise it was so common.

I thought it was one of those things you are told not to do because there is a very rare chance you could get pregnant but really everyone does it,are you supposed to put the condom on as soon as it gets hard???

{confused}

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 12-Feb-13 13:41:11

We use it. Three pregnancies in three years, all in the supposedly safe period, and with a clockwork cycle. AVOID!

Softlysoftly Tue 12-Feb-13 13:42:45

thedoctrine tmi but we don't stop for condoms we get to "the moment" then withdraw in the nick of time.

Alligatorpie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:43:06

Dd1 is a result of withdrawl method. In my mind, it doesnt work. But i love her to bits!

JessieEssex Tue 12-Feb-13 13:43:17

We used it after DD1 and I got pg (sadly mc'ed though). I agree with chica - we wouldn't have used it had the prospect of another child been an absolute no-no. Am now 33 wks pg (planned!) with DC2 and we will not be using it again after this, as we want to settle at 2 DCs.

DP wants a vasectomy while I recuperate in the post natal ward!

Sallyingforth Tue 12-Feb-13 13:58:07

But doesn't withdrawal spoil the feeling?
What if you are about to come just as your partner pulls out? OK there are other ways to finish off, but IME there is nothing else as satisfying as finishing together, PIV.

aldiwhore Tue 12-Feb-13 14:04:06

Well I have two children, conceived inbetween my usual contraceptive devices, both whilst 'being careful' (which of course we actually weren't being!) on the other hand, we had many instances of being (not) careful where a baby didn't happen either.... it's a Russian Roulette method!

we have successfully been using the withdrawal method for 15 years. Only one unplanned pregancy - how many planned ones?

AmberSocks Tue 12-Feb-13 14:04:06

sallying i agree,i actually find it a bit uncomfortable too when he pulls out,puts a condom on and then puts it back it,im not keen on condoms at all ihate the feel o fhtem,weve tried all of them too.Dont want the coil or anything.

I would like more babies but dc4 is only 18 weeks so would like to wait longer,hmm.

Theicingontop Tue 12-Feb-13 14:07:29

Me and OH used the withdrawal method for three years with no pregnancies, but it was quite stressful sometimes, if for some weird reason my period was late. But we did it with the full knowledge that it was likely to fail, and was prepared for it to do so. But for us, it didn't.

Softlysoftly Tue 12-Feb-13 14:36:01

It's not as good as finishing no but condoms I find uncomfortable and hormonal contraception turns me into a looney so until I'm/he's sure we want no more and get snipped its the best option. I think stopping, adding condom, starting again would be even worse!

Though I may try the coil soon.

NumericalMum Tue 12-Feb-13 14:49:26

How do you use it and it fails three times?? Once maybe but 3 times?
Used it for 5 years, no problems, had planned DC and now use coil as I would not be happy if we had an "accident"

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 12-Feb-13 14:52:07

Diaphragm?

Mosman Tue 12-Feb-13 14:54:35

I have a niece and a nephew as as result of this particular method, sweet as they are it don't work.

Adversecamber Tue 12-Feb-13 15:20:39

Well I know a very cute 3 year old that is the outcome of the withdrawal method.

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 12-Feb-13 16:31:48

Numerical, I originally put it down to our high sex drives (in those days lol) or the fact that 30% precum has sperm in it, (maybe hes a leaker) but at the end of the day, its an unreliable method for us anyway.

specialsubject Tue 12-Feb-13 16:37:48

Vatican roulette...or am I thinking of something else?

anyway, sex to the end is fun because that is how the human race is encouraged to reproduce. Withdrawal is ruining the fun with not much chance of affecting the result.

scary that anyone actually thinks it is reliable! OP, the mantras include 'no glove, no love', or 'no admittance without a jacket' . Or the other methods, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now