Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why do some mums do this?

(14 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Mon 11-Feb-13 22:56:30

Our library is running a competition were children have to draw their favourite literacy character.

A mum and her ds were sat at the same table.He was sixish. Library was very busy.

The library assistant gave the boy the form and asked him who his favourite book character was and who he was going to draw.
Boy replied Dennis the Menace

The mum was horrified
"He's not your favourite ds is he, remember ds we like Dickens, shall we find a book and find our favourite character...
Boy carried on drawing Dennis.

His little brother picked where's wally and it just all seemed too much grin

Ah, competitive parents. Love them.

WorraLiberty Mon 11-Feb-13 23:04:52

Love it! grin

VerySmallSqueak Mon 11-Feb-13 23:07:17

Bet she's a bundle of laughs.

Poor little boys sad

simplesusan Mon 11-Feb-13 23:07:30

I thought you were going to write that the mum drew the picture and coloured it in so as to win the competition.
Bizarre reaction by the mother there.

manicbmc Mon 11-Feb-13 23:07:56

Brilliant! grin

VerySmallSqueak Mon 11-Feb-13 23:13:15

They probably have Shakespearean themed parties,and are learning Ancient Greek for fun too.

Why,oh why,can't kids be kids?

(And tbh as an adult I'd prefer Dennis and Gnasher to mouldy ol' Dickens)

larks35 Mon 11-Feb-13 23:17:28

Is Denis the Menace still about then? I used to call my dad that back when I was wee and very cheeky circa 1976. (It was his name, my older bro had the comic, I was 3 and very cocky with myself)

Bless her, the mum I mean. I know that I would probably try to steer my DC to something literary rather than cartoony, not to appear anything better than others but just because I like good books and would want my children to feel the same.

MariusEarlobe Mon 11-Feb-13 23:24:01

Yes there's New cartoons and the library has the beano annuals.

INeedThatForkOff Mon 11-Feb-13 23:29:15

Nah, I don't believe you ...

Ozziegirly Tue 12-Feb-13 03:27:32

I have never heard a parent doing anything like this-i always hope I will!

I might start doing it.

piprabbit Tue 12-Feb-13 03:40:13

She was an MNer on a wind-up.

Sugarice Tue 12-Feb-13 07:39:02

Yes like all 6 year olds enjoy reading about the misery of the workhouse and the hard slog of life in 19th century hmm.

She was telling a porkie I'm sure!

SunflowersSmile Tue 12-Feb-13 07:46:41

Oh you do get mums like this though Dickens? Are you sure?!
On different theme Mum I know boasting to myself and other parent about her dds love of fractions and equations [age 7]. Actually embarrassing and I tried to wriggle away in case people thought I was participating in conversation.
Her poor children under so much pressure it is sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now