AIBU to use the disabled toilet at the restaurant today??

(80 Posts)
clumsyoaflike Mon 11-Feb-13 20:10:34

Okies, am 41+3 with severe SPD (also crippled in pain after major back surgery 18 months ago) + I have two broken bones in my left foot after falling down the stairs Friday just gone so am pretty immobile atm. I had a sweep this morning and on the MWs suggestion decided to try and have a walk (shuffle) round the shops. I really couldn't cope so DP took me to the Toby for some lunch before returning to the sofa. The male/female toilets are up a windy flight of stairs so I asked the waitress if I was allowed to use the disabled one (downstairs) and she said that this was ok. I was only in there for literally 5 mins and when I left a lady started shouting at me that I am a young fit woman (I had only opened the door so she didn't see me shuffling). I was in bits, left my dinner, paid and went home.

I only use my stairs at home when I really have to and have been pretty much bed bound.

So should I have struggled with the stairs as I am NOT registered disabled and am a 30 year old woman??!!

JenaiMorris Tue 12-Feb-13 11:38:16

God I sound like a right cow. And I'm going to get flamed. She does suffer and I sympathise, but she'll shuffle along in an even more shuffly manner than usual, and 9/10 times she hasn't even made it to the corridor before the disabled loo is free again. Maybe she shuffles more than usual because she's desperate for the loo and isn't making a dramatic gesture after all. blush

elliejjtiny Tue 12-Feb-13 12:06:44

Jenai My DS2 will put on an exaggerated limp if we go on a double decker bus and I decide it will be easier to fold the wheelchair rather than wait for the next bus. He can walk to a seat on the bus fine as long as I carry him up the steps.

OP YANBU. I have a disabled DS who uses a wheelchair if he needs to walk further than 100 yards or so and I would have had no problem with you using the disabled loo. In fact if I'd seen you trying to get up the stairs I would have suggested you use the disabled loo and told the old lady where to go as well.

weare I think the old lady should have been punished asked to leave

sashh Tue 12-Feb-13 12:07:50

and 9/10 times she hasn't even made it to the corridor before the disabled loo is free again. Standing for me is much worse than walking.

Also if I have to walk further then I know I have to walk further back and that may make me move more slowly.

She could be putting it on. But if there really are a gazillion then there should be one free.

JenaiMorris Tue 12-Feb-13 12:18:20

sashh I feel a bit of an arse now. Sometimes it takes getting something out to realise your thoughts are possibly way off the mark. Or at least it does with me. Hope I've not offended anyone blush

Just to fully out myself for the prejudiced individual I am, I once assumed a v.nice roadster was illegally parked in a disabled bay. Because of course disabled people don't drive cool cars hmm

badtime Tue 12-Feb-13 12:28:01

Some people have no consideration for what a disability might be.

I can merrily bound to the toilet, but in some places the cubicles are so small that my OCD and anxiety go pretty damn wild (I. Can't. Help. Touching. Things!!! because of the lack of space) so I have to use the more spacious disabled cubicle. I have never been called on it, but I know I would say in response 'no, actually, I'm mad, and that's a disability'.

You are currently disabled, just as someone with a broken leg would be, regardless of your general health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now