to turn red meat free until UK do correct checks on meat that comes in from EU

(70 Posts)
seaofyou Mon 11-Feb-13 18:49:15

it has totally turned my stomach. not so much horse but diseased chemically vacs horses that were not fit for hunan consumption.

bought meatfree pies today in Tescos! will stick to fish and chicken (free range and UK bred)

anyone else giving meat a miss until this whole meat EU checks are enforced/tightened.

dubai71 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:34:17

I believe in buying my meat from the UK in a local butcher that sells only free range. Yes, it costs more so I eat less meat but it is worth it.

Even before this did one really imagine that if you, for example, get 4 beef burgers for £1 that the meat was good quality and that the animals were treated humanely?! The reason cheap sh!t is cheap is that it tends to be sh!t wink

MoreBeta Tue 12-Feb-13 10:33:54

If you can't buy local meat form a known source (which is difficult and time consuming) then I suggest doing what I do which is to buy only fresh meat (no frozen or processed) in the premium range from a supermarket. No need to go organic though.

The main problem seems to have been in processed and frozen value products so I wil avoid those until this gets sorted out. Not all processed and value products obviously are affected but my personal choice is just to minimise risk.

LittleMissFantabulous Tue 12-Feb-13 10:28:39

We've started going to see Mr Norman the local butcher recently. I'm trying to avoid going to the supermarket as I buy so much I don't need. We're enjoying it, the taste is much better. His sausages are superb.

LittleMissFantabulous Tue 12-Feb-13 10:28:09

We've started going to see Mr Norman the local butcher recently. I'm trying to avoid going to the supermarket as I buy so much I don't need. We're enjoying it, the taste is much better. His sausages are superb.

Pufflemum Tue 12-Feb-13 09:25:15

I buy a fortnightly meat box from Riverford Organic. They deliver to the door and the meat ( and fruit and veg) is excellent quality and locally produced. It really encourages cooking from scratch and as a result doesn't work out at bad value. Also the DC love to see 'the farmer' deliver the box and it has really improved their eating habits.

sashh Tue 12-Feb-13 09:24:13

Wouldn't it make sense to not buy processed food rather than red meat?

redplasticspoon Tue 12-Feb-13 09:16:25

Yanbu

I have noticed lately the vegetarian sandwiches are always selling out at the supermarkets nowadays. Clearly other people think the same.

There have been numerous health scares with meat over the years, and vegetarian food is proven to be far healthier, so why not?

andubelievedthat Tue 12-Feb-13 00:12:05

Stop that, PurplePidjin ! me pissing myself ,the imagery of your post !

EuroShagmore Mon 11-Feb-13 21:54:05

As I understand it the problem is with processed meat and "meat filler" (whatever the fuck that is). I was veggie until a few years ago and when I started eating meat again, I decided I would only eat identifiable meat - no processed crap. No mince (unless meat minced at home), no sausages, no ready meals. I'm currently very glad about my decision. I'm not going to stop eating meat because of this. I am going to carry on only eating "proper meat" though.

sansucre Mon 11-Feb-13 21:48:29

I think yabu. The issues only seem to be with processed meat/food, so I think if you steer clear of that, you should be ok.

I've boycotted Tesco, their meat in particular for many years now as I don't think it's great quality and they don't treat their suppliers well. Their cheap chicken is reared in the most appalling way.

I buy from my local butcher, which is well trusted and actually far more reasonable in price, and is cheaper than Tesco. Indeed, they posted this today.
And if I don't buy from there, it's from Waitrose. I often wait until I know they're doing markdowns and fill up my freezer!

However, I realise I am extemely fortunate and not everyone has access to such a good butcher. But I strongly believe that if you want to eat meat, it should be from animals that have lived a good life. In addition, you get what you pay for. If meat is cheap, there's a reason why it is.

MyDarlingClementine Mon 11-Feb-13 21:37:33

There are lots of fiddles, smoke screens and subterfuge going on in all the supermarkets, The only one that has a reputation to protect is Waitrose.

Waitrose is rarely affected by or dragged into these dubious practises going on. They also stopped Battery Farmed Eggs years before they actually had too.

TheOriginalLadyFT Mon 11-Feb-13 21:34:04

For clarity, the Red Tractor logo does not signify British origin per se; it actually signifies assured standards of production and welfare. It is theoretically possible for non British food which complies with these standards to be Red Tractor assured. In practice, it doesn't happen. Red Tractor logos which also carry the union flag are British in origin.

In answer to the OP - YABU not to eat meat. Buy local/regional from butchers and farm shops, the sort of business where they can tell you which farm the animal comes from and how it has been reared. Many of these places also produce ready meals using this meat as well

Tee2072 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:33:49

It isn't necessarily more expensive.

YABU. As others have said, buy from a butcher who can tell you where the meat is from. More expensive but well worth it, tastes so much better too.

JumpingJackSprat Mon 11-Feb-13 21:11:43

ive recently started buying meat at the butchers in my local farm shop. if i cant get there i get it from sainsburys as everything is so well labelled as british with massive flags and tractors on it. the prices are comparable and the taste is incomparable. im trying to cut out processed food although does help that i enjoy cooking. i hate throwing meat out as i feel terrible for throwing away part of an animal that died for my consumption. im one step away from becoming veggie i think.

seaofyou Mon 11-Feb-13 21:00:49

Thanks softlysoflty I found a butcher on the website you listed only 4 miles away. Only one too phew as next one 50 miles away.

No more supermarket meat, will only buy at that butcher from now on! This if anything will build up UK farming and butcher business again I imagine which is a good all round!

whatsforyou Mon 11-Feb-13 20:52:55

Whoops! Foot and mouth blush

whatsforyou Mon 11-Feb-13 20:51:46

I'm sure Morrisons butcher counter can tell you where their meat has been sourced from. It makes sense though, if importing meat (whatever kind) from Romania or the Ukraine through umpteen different middle men is cheaper than buying from the farm up the road (when farmers are going bust every day due to poor prices) then you are not getting meat of the same quality or the same standards.

It was the same after the bse and don't and mouth crisis, people started buying Argentinian beef, yeah because they have much higher animal welfare standards hmm

squeakytoy Mon 11-Feb-13 20:35:27

yabu

it is only minced and mainly processed meat dishes that have been affected.. a joint of beef is still a joint of beef, a leg of lamb is a leg of lamb..

This is going to cripple our farming industry if people panic and do not understand what is in the news.

TheFunPolice Mon 11-Feb-13 20:34:29

Mmmmmm DD 9mo loves venison, cheap here as well! I buy my meat from a local farm shop, the cattle are grazed on fields that I can see from my house, it's actually cheaper than buying it from a supermarket and is much tastier.

PurplePidjin Mon 11-Feb-13 20:31:17

Venison is in season at the moment, how about a nice haunch of Bambi?

Cheap round here, too, little buggers keep throwing themselves at cars wink

GettingObsessive Mon 11-Feb-13 20:27:17

Seriously OP if you go down the meat aisle at the supermarket and don't trust your own eyes know that what you're buying is pork and chicken, I do wonder what you've been doing all this time

I appreciate it can be difficult to tell one kind of minced or diced red meat from another, but have you been paying no attention at all?

YABU. You get what you pay for. If you go to your local butcher and buy locally sourced beef you can be sure of what you are buying (because the point of being an independent butcher is that you source your own stock) or you buy cheap, processed meat from a chain for a fraction of the price with no accountability. Granted, we didn't imagine there'd be horsemeat in the stuff, but it was never going to be something you'd want to think too closely about, was it?

Softlysoftly Mon 11-Feb-13 20:25:20

Look Red Tractor in supermarkets and the Quality Standard Mark in butchers (England only, wales and Scotland look for local marks).

The Quality Standard Mark means it's been tracked from farm to the shop and is rigorously audited by these guys www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk. find yourlocal one from the site.

Q guild butchers are also excellent. Www.qguild.co.uk.

It doesn't actually have to be more expensive if you talk to them they can get you the right cut for the dish you want to make at the best price and also cut to your family size so less waste.

And absolutely no horse.

Or humans <<boak>>

I work in a butchers and people do ask where the beef/pork/lamb/chicken is reared and slaughtered. Especially recently. We can always tell them. I totally agree that the problem is processed rubbish. I think that eating less meat but buying better quality is the answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now