to turn red meat free until UK do correct checks on meat that comes in from EU

(70 Posts)
seaofyou Mon 11-Feb-13 18:49:15

it has totally turned my stomach. not so much horse but diseased chemically vacs horses that were not fit for hunan consumption.

bought meatfree pies today in Tescos! will stick to fish and chicken (free range and UK bred)

anyone else giving meat a miss until this whole meat EU checks are enforced/tightened.

FeistyLass Mon 11-Feb-13 19:28:30

TheFallenNinja Soylent Green

Eeek! That was not a thought I wanted in my head [pale and possibly vomiting smiley]

Be careful of fish too! Apparently some Birdseye fish fingers are up to 80% seahorse. shock

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:01

YABU - if you buy local, properly reared beef and pork in the first place then this isn't an issue.

As someone has said, if you buy red tractor marked products then you are buying UK meat and all is well.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:17

Southern grin

revolting (quite) I said that on here a few days ago too. Legitimate concern IMO.

Suddenly 'naice ham' is the least of our concerns!

Mrspringle Mon 11-Feb-13 19:31:12

Use your local butcher, ours tells us where all our meat is from. Don't use your supermarket, I've never bought from anywhere else other than our butcher.

FrankWippery Mon 11-Feb-13 19:32:07

Surely all this horsemeat is in processed shit masquerading as 'lasagne' and burgers etc.

The mince/steak etc one can buy in the supermarkets has not come from the rump of horse FFS.

Eat shit food, expect shit ingredients imo.

Chandon Mon 11-Feb-13 19:34:45

But you still buy at Tesco?
Maybe just swap for meat from a proper butcher!

ouryve Mon 11-Feb-13 19:34:59

More sensible, if you eat red meat, anyhow, would be to eat unprocessed UK produced red meat.

ouryve Mon 11-Feb-13 19:37:30

And DS1 munched his way through a veggie soya burger, the other day, muttering that it came from Sainsburys, so must have horse in it grin

seaofyou Mon 11-Feb-13 19:41:45

my ds is gluten and dairy free diet so his meal always consists of meat....no veggie meal for him as all have milk or wheat in etc...so I have no choice but to buy it....will need to find a trusting butcher for ds steak and pork chops and now chicken too...I don't mind not touching the stuff again but ds relies on meat in his diet and has a restricted diet to add to the problem due to food problem phobia?

FrankWippery Mon 11-Feb-13 19:45:45

FFS, the steaks and chicken and pork chops in a high street supermarket will be exactly that. Not horse meat for goodness sake. Ridiculous to assume otherwise. Processed meat products and ready meals are in a different league and are already full of shit, before one considers what meat is used.

Tee2072 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:54:00

Yes, as Frank said. (MWAH, BTW, lovely)

It's the cheap processed stuff with horse/whatever in it. Your basic steak/mince/chicken is fine.

Talk about hysteria over nothing! At least learn what's really happening rather than feeling sick over what isn't.

Quilty Mon 11-Feb-13 20:02:55

YABU
buy British meat and make the pies yourself! Put them in the freezer for healthy ready meals.
Also the problem is not just with red meat, the whole processed meat industry if rife with horrors, this is not new news by any means. Chicken nuggets, cheap sausages, processed ham etc etc. If everyone knew the full truth the local butchers would be selling out of everything very quickly!

PurplePidjin Mon 11-Feb-13 20:05:54

YABU. My local butcher is cheaper than Tesco (i paid £1.50 for 1/2lb mince the other day, 6 beef sausages are about £2.50 and they're lovely fat juicy ones, non-watery chickens £4) and he can pretty much tell you the name of the animal it came from - I'll have a nice fillet of Eglantine today, please Mike.

Support local business and keep the high street alive!

thebody Mon 11-Feb-13 20:06:42

Buy local.

MousyMouse Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:07

sea don't know if you have realised, but UK is part of the EU. hmm

MyDarlingClementine Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:40

waitrose has cofidence in the integrity of its food chain, it only uses Brit suppliers.

SilverOldie Mon 11-Feb-13 20:14:56

If you don't buy ready made crap but do buy free range meat and cook from scratch, you won't have a problem eating any kind of meat. I only buy free range because of animal welfare. It is more expensive so I eat less meat but I prefer it that way.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 11-Feb-13 20:17:46

Frank, stop! You are spoiling the OPs perfect opportunity for hysteria wink

I work in a butchers and people do ask where the beef/pork/lamb/chicken is reared and slaughtered. Especially recently. We can always tell them. I totally agree that the problem is processed rubbish. I think that eating less meat but buying better quality is the answer.

Softlysoftly Mon 11-Feb-13 20:25:20

Look Red Tractor in supermarkets and the Quality Standard Mark in butchers (England only, wales and Scotland look for local marks).

The Quality Standard Mark means it's been tracked from farm to the shop and is rigorously audited by these guys www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk. find yourlocal one from the site.

Q guild butchers are also excellent. Www.qguild.co.uk.

It doesn't actually have to be more expensive if you talk to them they can get you the right cut for the dish you want to make at the best price and also cut to your family size so less waste.

And absolutely no horse.

Or humans <<boak>>

YABU. You get what you pay for. If you go to your local butcher and buy locally sourced beef you can be sure of what you are buying (because the point of being an independent butcher is that you source your own stock) or you buy cheap, processed meat from a chain for a fraction of the price with no accountability. Granted, we didn't imagine there'd be horsemeat in the stuff, but it was never going to be something you'd want to think too closely about, was it?

GettingObsessive Mon 11-Feb-13 20:27:17

Seriously OP if you go down the meat aisle at the supermarket and don't trust your own eyes know that what you're buying is pork and chicken, I do wonder what you've been doing all this time

I appreciate it can be difficult to tell one kind of minced or diced red meat from another, but have you been paying no attention at all?

PurplePidjin Mon 11-Feb-13 20:31:17

Venison is in season at the moment, how about a nice haunch of Bambi?

Cheap round here, too, little buggers keep throwing themselves at cars wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now