To think that Julie Burchill must be a bit horrible.

(73 Posts)
StuckForAUserName Mon 11-Feb-13 17:39:57
MiniTheMinx Mon 11-Feb-13 20:28:14

I'm sure she probably felt she was doing the right thing. Having heard her speak, I think she probably did the right thing

She is full of dichotomies. She likes a bun fight.....she appreciates her very calm husband and on it goes.......She doesn't care but she can't go back to Bristol because it might upset her. She courts attention but prefers her own company.

She either has some form of personality disorder or she is just disingenuous and false.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Feb-13 20:28:53

If your a piss poor parent and know you are and that drugs will always come first for you . then the best thing you can do is walk away and leave the child with the other parent.

recall Mon 11-Feb-13 20:35:54

I agree with allyours JB is just being honest, and it's others that have a problem with that, would it be better for her to simper publicly about regrets just to please others, yet secretly have none ? She can't force herself to feel an emotion, she could pretend to experience one, but what is the point ?

She never pretends to be anything other than "fucking awful"

Merl0t Mon 11-Feb-13 20:42:09

She only did what thousands of men have done. plenty of mumsnetters are married to men who have done the same thing.

CartedOff Mon 11-Feb-13 20:51:45

She did the whole walking out on a son with a new lover thing twice over. I think that's pretty unpleasant but at least her children stayed with the stable parental figure instead of being dragged along with her.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 11-Feb-13 20:56:41

i doubt very much i would like her but she is just honest, and i usually find myself begrudgingly admiring her ability to give not a fuck what anyone thinks.

i could do with a bit of that.

recall Mon 11-Feb-13 21:16:07

MinitheMinx she openly admits that she must have some form of personality disorder...."there is something missing from me from birth"

recall Mon 11-Feb-13 21:25:54

cartedoff She lost custody of her second child - not the same.

Dawndonna Mon 11-Feb-13 21:34:56

She did Theology at Brighton.

anonacfr Mon 11-Feb-13 22:50:27

Once again I'll say- I find that type of honesty very overrated. The least she could have done is to keep it between her and her sons.

And I am truly the only one to be shocked she married her lover's brother?

Agent64 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:52:08

Not a JB fan, but listened to D.I.D yesterday as I thought it might be an interesting programme.

It was one of the dullest ones I have heard.

She said that she found herself completely fascinating.

Ah well, at least she enjoyed it.

lljkk Tue 12-Feb-13 07:34:15

never pretends to be anything other than "fucking awful"

Do people enjoy reading awful tripe from an awful person? Why is there demand for that?

scottishmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 07:42:51

I dont know if shows horrid,she seems impulsive and egocentric
I find her writing provocative for the sake if it
she doesn't really bother me greatly,and don't get the indigation she provokes

FayCorgasm Tue 12-Feb-13 07:54:10

I listened to part of her Desert Island Discs and I couldn't quite put my finger on why I just didn't like her. It was just something about her, nothing she said, but just a quality I found distasteful or repugnant somehow. I also couldn't stand listening to her awful voice. I think she might be one of those hideous women who uses a baby voice to create a facade of being sweet and innocent but underneath is a cruel snake in the grass. I'm not sure she's the kind of woman other women like. A bit like Samantha Brick but, once again, nothing to doing with being too beautiful or anything else in a similar vein!

Moominsarehippos Tue 12-Feb-13 09:14:31

I am not sure if she actually is a 'real' person of a character (like Lily Savage). Either way, she just spouts to be heard. I never liked her - always thought she was like the class big gob who only ever wanted to be the centre of attention, no matter what. Reminds me of Y3 english class where one such god was wailing 'but miss, we're so pooooor, we can't afford a dictionary!' (which was bull) and the poor teacher gooing into a lengthy discussion aboutb saving pocket money to buy one, etc. The stupid girl just couldn't be bothered to check her work properly.

cory Tue 12-Feb-13 09:29:30

She makes nice money out of being an enfant terrible and she gets attention, which is what she craves more than anything else.

Agree with posters who find it tedious with a teen attitude in a middle aged woman: teens do that sort of thing so much more elegantly.

Eskino Tue 12-Feb-13 09:33:48

I agree with recall. Ive always found her honest and that is worth a lot in my view.

I wonder how many other things that she has written or appeared on that Fellatio "hasn't bothered" to look at before providing us with that insightful picture of JB.

Tony Parsons wrote a book about the whole experience with his son and sons mother. It's a good story, not often told.

FayCorgasm Tue 12-Feb-13 09:39:01

But Eskino, surely honesty isn't as straight forward as it should be nowadays? I think people now have a tendency to think they can do and say whatever they like based on the premise that "they are just being honest". There are many instances where this theory doesn't deserve to be applauded.

FayCorgasm Tue 12-Feb-13 09:39:28

Not everyone, obviously. Just to qualify that post!

Punkatheart Wed 13-Feb-13 10:50:39

Her latest Facebook post:

To all my atheist, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Christian comrades. Against the rising filth of Islam.

Unacceptable. Childish. Offensive.

ubik Wed 13-Feb-13 12:42:08

She's just nuts

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:44:59

I find both of them unlikeable. Poor children.

Xiaoxiong Wed 13-Feb-13 14:55:20

I didn't know who she was until I listened to her on Desert Island Discs, which I listened to like rubbernecking a car crash.

If that's how she comes across in a comfortable "tell me about yourself, interesting person" kind of interview, she must be really truly unpleasant in person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now