What happened to the thread about the 16 no 17yo dd who was ungrateful?

(89 Posts)
lollilou Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:29

I was reading it this morning. The op was being given a huge flaming, did it all go horribly wrong?

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 16:52:31

I miss dd. She has gone to Devon for a few days at half term. So I am getting all soppy in her absence. When she comes back I will start grumbling on MN again about the draped towels and the missing teaspoons. grin

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 16:57:02

The outraged parents are usually the ones whose kids aren't teens... yet!

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 16:57:15

Aww GOML I remember a few years ago when I first joined MN, your dd was coming to my town for the day and you were very worried.

I don't keep a spreadsheet btw it just stood out because, like I said, it's my town!

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 16:59:39

Indeed valium. They'll be campaigning to have the entire play park dug up and turned into an amphitheatre or something in a few years time. Assuming they still give a stuff and haven't got bored of being parents.

My 16 year old baby is 6'3" now. He is the gentlest soul I know, and was terribly worried about going to stay with his Dad this week and missing my birthday. He gave me a big hug before he left and promised he'd ring me! shock.

A friend of mine reposted THIS piece of mean-sprited bile on FB this morning. He was disagreeing with it, but it made me feel so sad. I don't know any teenagers who have this sort of sense of entitlement - they are mostly terrified about their futures, are told at school that only A grades count, are looking at taking on £50k+ debts to go to uni and there are scarcely any jobs out there, even with a degree.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:03:58

OOOH was that when she went to Bath and I was a bit worried about her changing trains at Swindon? grin

God. She now gets the train all over and I don't bat an eyelid. And stays in hotels on her own. And drives a bloody car.

<sobs>

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:05:17

Well that was written by a miserable bastard lapsed.

And it's nearly 20 years out of date. Why would someone post that on facebook?

Whyriskit Mon 11-Feb-13 17:05:40

There are some very odd trolls on MN at the moments. Is someine somewhere carrying out some kind of experiment to see how we respond to stuff or is that overthinking it?

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 17:06:26

Gawd that's a horrible post LP <waves btw>

The average fuckwit cries "Life is not fair" at least 5 times a day. It's what keeps the Daily Wail in business.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 17:06:59

There are some odd people about.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:07:08

I remember also a hand wringing thread I started about dd being allowed to go to the under 18s night at the local disco. I let her go in the end. She thought it was boring and hasn't been back since. No drugs and alcohol to be seen. grin

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 17:08:02

Haha yes GetOrf. I take it she changed trains OK grin

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 17:15:02

I hope she didn't make a noise on the train, GetOrf.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:15:24

Yes she did grin.

I remember being very worried because Swindon station was quite large and had lots of PLATFORMS and interchanges and I was worried she would end up on the wrong train.

I go to Swindon station a lot now. What on earth was I worried about? grin She was 13 iirc.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:16:10

Oh god usual this thread is like a refuge for the NORMAL compared to that mad one.

Someone will say Idi Amin was indulged on a train next.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 17:17:24

lol, I'm a bit scared of the posters on that thread.

can I hide in here? tis earlier but I changed my name in honour of Freddie Mercury last night and again this morning because I thought of a better one.

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 17:22:58

Swindon station is quite large. My own ds is 13 this year and I would fret. In fact I've ummed and ahhed about the reasonableness of him catching a train into Temple Meads because there are Improving Activities I'd like him to do in Bristol and he hasn't even asked yet.

I don't even want to think about the journeys I negotiated at a similar age I spent the fare on cider

There is an Idi Amin thread?

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 17:24:16

No it's a thread about noisey toys on a train, it's gone a bit odd though.

JenaiMorris Mon 11-Feb-13 17:25:44

Sounds scarier than Snakes on a Plane.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:28:41

I think 13 is fine. DD was on the cusp of 14 iirc.

It depends on the child doesn't it - if he is sensible I am sure it will be OK, and if they go with an equally sensible friend. Bristol is easy from Bath isn't it, no changing involved.

I was a bit fretful when dd first went to London (15) - I kept texting her making sure she was on the right tube line and then fretted when she didn't answer (without thinking that she couldn't answer because she was on the tube)

OddBoots Mon 11-Feb-13 17:30:38

If you're not there already some of you need to come over to the In praise of teenagers thread. smile

My parents had to put me on international planes at the age of twelve, on my little lonesome.
It's only now that I'm starting to understand why mum cried every time.

I was worried about everything in my teens. Except catching flights-could do it blindfold by 14.

TheSecondComing Mon 11-Feb-13 17:33:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GetOrf Mon 11-Feb-13 17:35:10

Hahaha at 'who the fuck is this cunt' did you really? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now