To think you don't let your toddler play with noisy electic games on a packed train?

(291 Posts)
Hammy02 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:14:59

Or any train for that matter. I was on jam packed train at the weekend (no spare seats, aisle full of people standing up) and one woman was sat with her small child playing with a toy that said 'triangle', 'square' etc when the kid pressed each shape. I was a couple of seats in front & could hear it! AIBU to think this was utterly selfish of the mum? Other people were giving her the evils but she seemed oblivious.

glossyflower Mon 11-Feb-13 15:22:10

And why do you have to bribe your kids with noisy toys to keep them well behaved?

Trills Mon 11-Feb-13 15:25:20

Also: people who make their phones go "click click click" or "beep beep beep" when they type.

You can see the word appearing, you don't need the noise to know that you have touched the keyboard.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 15:28:02

Oh glossy. I don't bribe my child. He likes it. And he's really well behaved.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:29:56

Because glossy ,some children get a bit restless on long journeys.

Fenton Mon 11-Feb-13 15:30:22

Oh I didn't think of crayons and paper on a crowded train with a toddler sat on my lap, - no can't see any draw back in that method of distraction AT ALL.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:31:00

Not yours though glossy, I expect your children are like little angels.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:31:50

I expect someone would give you evils if the paper flapped about though, Fenton.

Fenton Mon 11-Feb-13 15:32:50

At least my child would have duck tape strapped across his mouth, just in case.

Lottapianos Mon 11-Feb-13 15:33:06

'And why do you have to bribe your kids with noisy toys to keep them well behaved? '

Exactly glossyflower, exactly

It would have driven me up the wall as well OP. Some people don't seem to have any concept of being in public and having to share space with other people - as Lynne Truss describes it, 'my bubble my rules'. And that extends to their children. It's rude and inconsiderate and unnecessary.

KatieMiddleton Mon 11-Feb-13 15:35:07

6pm?! Heavens to Betsy no child should be out in public then, much less being kept entertained! How disgusting. You must write to your mp.

Or get over it and be grateful you don't have a toddler.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:35:45

My bubble my rules? jesus wept.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 15:37:04

Chatting loudly on your phone when every other word is 'fucking' in front of children is inconsiderate, and is what happens everyday on the trains around my area. So I move. Keeping a child occupied with a toy, probably their favourite which they wouldn't leave the house without, is called parenting. It may not be the activity you would choose, such as pressing flowers, reciting poetry, learning Latin, but so be it.

Fenton Mon 11-Feb-13 15:38:38

It's hard to keep your bubble the way you want it on a crowded train.

sad
sad
sad

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:39:26

You mean you don't read Shakespeare to your child on the bus, TheOne?

Lottapianos Mon 11-Feb-13 15:40:01

And why do some people insist on seeing these situations in black and white? Why is it either a screaming child or the whole carriage being disturbed by the noise from their game? There are other options, like turning the sound off the game for example....

You've never heard that phrase before usualsuspect? Well you learn something new every day, I'm glad to be the one to bring you some new information today smile Look around you, I see it all the time - lots of people who have no consideration for others and expect everyone else to just lump it.

woozlebear Mon 11-Feb-13 15:40:15

YANBU. It's rude and inconsiderate. I'm sure there are quiet toys that would have kept the child occupied, or engaging it in quiet conversation. I don't see why some people have said YABU for expecting peace and quiet on a packed train - the more crowded the place, surely the more reason for people to be considerate to each other? And actually many packed trains can be very peaceful - on commuter trains most people just put their heads in their book/paper and stay silent. Weekend trains on the otherhand tend to be awful mayhem. Ditto the argument that YABU for having a problem with this when adults make noise with phones / headphones etc - yes, they do, and they're being inconsiderate too, they're just not the topic of your post.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:41:52

I never want to hear that ridiculous phrase again TBH.

BarredfromhavingStella Mon 11-Feb-13 15:42:23

Yabu, it was a child being entertained with a toy-I fail to see the problem tbh.

As for the 'my bubble, my rules' hmm

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 15:42:36

Well, he's only little so we're starting with Austen, usual. We hope to move on to Shakespeare after Easter. But only off-peak in an empty carriage, naturally. grin

Lottapianos Mon 11-Feb-13 15:44:39

Why do you think it's ridiculous usualsuspect? Genuinely interested, not snarking.

choceyes Mon 11-Feb-13 15:44:40

I have a 4yr old and a 2yr old and I travel to London from Manchester regularly. Noisy toys/games on phones are an absolute last resort for me. I hate electronic noise on the train (I get travel sick easily and this makes it much much worse for me and gives me a splitting headache). My DCs are not quiet angels by any description, they are rather unruly and feral and even I manage to get them to play with something quiet. Reading books, sticker books, drawing, snacks etc etc will usually last them the 2hr journey. If all else fails I let them play a game on my phone with the minimum of noise, so quietly that I can barely hear it when I'm sat next to them.

I do this mainly for self preservation and to avoid me getting a migrane, but also as a consideration for other passengers.

Can't do more than a 2hr journey though, so OP, You don't how long this mother have had to travel with the toddler, she might have exhausted all resources. It's not our place to judge IMO. But yes it is irritating when people, not just toddlers , use electronic stuff on trains and other enclosed spaces.

woozlebear Mon 11-Feb-13 15:46:24

Why all the shock and hmm about 'my bubble, my rules'? What am I missing? It does seem an accurate description of the mindset of some inconsiderate people.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:50:09

We would like to live in a bubble, but we don't.

We have to give and take. A child being entertained by a noisy toy on a train wouldn't bother me because it's keeping the mother and child happy.

It's not all about me.

MrsDeVere Mon 11-Feb-13 15:51:59

'My bubble my rules' must surely be the epitome of selfishness.

You cannot have a 'bubble' in public. You have a certain amount of personal space and if you are lucky you get to maintain that but nothing else.

My 'bubble rules' would mean that everyone would be required to dress in vintage dress and carry flowers and kelly handbags everywhere. No one would be permitted to use a mobile phone but roberts radios tuned to some light jazz would be allowed.
Dogs would be obligatory and the only pastime allowed on the underground would be obscene cross stitch, knitting and crochet.

Conversation would be mandatory and the only food would be sherbet coloured icecreams.

No more unreasonable than expecting small children to be quite at all times and no one to smell or carry a rucksack I think....

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 15:52:11

My bubble my rules is nearly as bad as my house my rules.

Stupid meaningless phrases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now