Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

" Just marking my place.." WTF?

(124 Posts)
Dryjuice25 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:27:30

Why do people feel the need to go on a thread to "mark my place"? How does that contribute to the discussion underway? I get really annoyed by this action and it's the most pointless thing a poster can do. Why oh why?

Please someone enlighten me to the point of this 'marking of place' .To me it's rude, pointless and utterly unnecessary. I get the "bumping" of thread bit, but the marking of place, I don't get. To me it's self-indulgent, rude, and just plain attention-seeking! Why oh why?

LittlePinkMouse Mon 11-Feb-13 12:29:17

<marks place>

If you are following a thread it means it pops up on your 'threads I'm on'

SassySpice Mon 11-Feb-13 12:30:03

Just marking my pl....

calandarbear Mon 11-Feb-13 12:30:49

I don't know the reason for doing it, is it to do with being able to find the thread? It doesn't annoy me though.

BertieBotts Mon 11-Feb-13 12:30:55

So you can view it on threads I'm on - I've done it for example on a thread which has a discussion I'm interested in and want to post on but don't have the time to compose an in-depth post.

MrsLettuce Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:00

Is better than this:

MrsLettuce Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:06

BertieBotts Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:32

I think it's rude to do so on a sensitive thread, though.

Allicando Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:34

It's not rude or attention seeking imo it's just a way of book marking a thread.

BumpingFuglies Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:45

So it turns up on Threads I'm On. How is it rude? confused

funnymum71 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:31:51

I mark my place on bunfight threads these days just so I can see the HQ deletion message as some of them are genius. I sometimes mark if I don't have time to comment, but want to come back later.

Other than that, I generally watch threads instead of place marking where I'm interested in the topic, but don't have anything to contribute.

But really OP, YABU to get so upset - its hardly attention seeking to write "marking place" is it? Its not like someone has gone onto a thread and said "Fuck off OP" which would be a lot more rude and attention seeking eh.

Pandemoniaa Mon 11-Feb-13 12:32:10

I suspect that place marking is often done so that it moves the thread into the "I'm On" category. I do admit that the phrase slightly irritates me though. It's the combination of slightly voyeuristic and "can't be arsed to say anything useful" that grates.

BlackAffronted Mon 11-Feb-13 12:33:05

I find it rude. I only comment if I have something useful to say. To me, its like rubberneckers at an accident or street brawl.

austenozzy Mon 11-Feb-13 12:33:30

i agree. why not simply watch the thread instead of cluttering it with shite?

I think some people do it to see the possible deletion message on troll threads or bun fight threads?

Otherwise, why wouldn't you just press the 'watch this thread' button so you can find it later?

KenLeeeeeee Mon 11-Feb-13 12:34:22

<sits on hands>

AudrinaAdare Mon 11-Feb-13 12:35:23

Recently I people have been posting on threads because when it gets deleted you get to see MNHQ's new comedy deletion explanations.

BumpingFuglies Mon 11-Feb-13 12:35:27

It means you can read on from where you last looked by locating your "marked place". It's just using a function, that's all.

KumquatMae Mon 11-Feb-13 12:36:14

I have only ever used mn on my phone (cba to get big heavy laptop out for a quick browse!) but on the mobile site there is a handy little "bookmark" button under each post. Clicking it then means when you come back to the post later it automatically scrolls to the bookmarked place. Is there not this option on the main site?
I can see why people feel the need to do it, popular threads move fast and it can be hard to keep up. But on a serious thread, posts of "just marking my place" could be seen as voyeuristic I suppose.

Cos if I haven't got time to write something thoughtful, witty or erudite but want to find the thread easily for later enjoyment it seems fine to me.

Although times I just type something pointless, so I don't upset people like you.

OK?

Debs75 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:37:00

I do it on long running threads as I don't always get on the computer for while and they all disappear from my 'threads you are on' list.
I don't think it is rude unless it is a really sensitive thread

DayToDayShit Mon 11-Feb-13 12:37:07

i always mark.

It hurts nobody.

LittleChimneyDroppings Mon 11-Feb-13 12:38:01

MonstrousPippin Mon 11-Feb-13 12:38:59

Perhaps MNHQ should copy the deletion explanations to people watching the thread too and then people don't have to do it?

Or do they already? I dunno.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now