To keep them off school

(57 Posts)
AugustMoon Mon 11-Feb-13 08:26:47

I've got a headache, it's been snowing (school's 10 min drive away), they - ds1 9 and ds2 6, don't want to go. I really hate being the baddy nagging them to get ready when they really don't want to go. Feel they'll hate me for it. Never kept them off before but really haven't got the will this morning. And don't really want to take 6 month old baby out in the car on the roads. What do you think? Am I just crap?

KidderminsterKate Mon 11-Feb-13 08:28:37

yes.....take them to school hmm hmm

don't set a bad example

Pagwatch Mon 11-Feb-13 08:29:13

If the roads are not dangerous then, whilst you have my sympathy, it is a bit crap tbh.

Your not crap!

Our head teacher states its her job to decide if school is safe to open. And our job to decide if we can safely get our children there.

If answer is no then they accept that.

If u can't confidently drive with ur head ache and u feel it would t be safe then don't. smile

Wishiwasanheiress Mon 11-Feb-13 08:30:27

Get up wash ur face get on with day.

U will regret staying home with them all

MortifiedAdams Mon 11-Feb-13 08:34:03

YABU.

You have a headache - easier to rest without the kids

They don't want to go - how many kids do?

I hate being the baddy - its your job!

Its been snowing - naff excuse

AugustMoon Mon 11-Feb-13 08:35:06

I know I'll regret it. I've got things to do, but honestly, id have to drag them there in their pyjamas.

juule Mon 11-Feb-13 08:37:48

YABU

Pagwatch Mon 11-Feb-13 08:41:10

They are 9 and 6. If you are going to cave everytime they don't want to go what kind of problems do you imagine you will have when they are teenagers.

I sympathise with waking up and feeling grim. The urge to just stay in bed is understandable. But tbh you are sounding a bit lameass.

You need to get on top of this now before they start refusing cos they see you as a soft touch.

School isn't optional.

ZillionChocolate Mon 11-Feb-13 08:43:27

What Pagwatch said.

juule Mon 11-Feb-13 08:43:42

Tell them you are taking them in their pyjamas. And mean it.

landofsoapandglory Mon 11-Feb-13 08:44:46

If you let them off once, they will start nagging you all the time! Tell them to get dressed and taken them to school. It shouldn't be negotiable!

juule Mon 11-Feb-13 08:46:23

"School isn't optional."

Well it is smile but not if the child is enrolled at a school.
I'm sure you knew that, though, Laurie wink

constantnamechanger Mon 11-Feb-13 08:48:53

bah a day off school never killed anybody

Yabu.
The baby will sleep at some point today & you can rest which you can't do with the others there.

They need to know they have to go to school. Put the uniform in the car if they won't get dressed & take them in their pjs.
They ll soon get changed when they see their friends!

BackforGood Mon 11-Feb-13 08:56:27

YABU.
What Pag and Laurie said.

JakeBullet Mon 11-Feb-13 09:00:50

Depends on the roadsters you are and how you feel driving in snow etc. Take everything else out if the equation...of you don't feel safe to drive then don't do it.

No you are not crap.

We have just a dusting of snow here so DS is in school but am aware other areas are covered and driving conditions are poor.

AugustMoon Mon 11-Feb-13 09:03:08

Ok, they're nearly ready - we're going to be late but I've told them, sorry, not up to me, school's open and if I keep you home I'm breaking the law!
Thanks for telling me straight, knew I could rely in you smile

Pagwatch Mon 11-Feb-13 09:05:28

Well done. Hope you feel better smile

clam Mon 11-Feb-13 09:06:13

Well done you! Now get yourself some Anadin Extra and sit down with MN/the paper and a hot drink for a while. Then, if you're up to it, get on with some bits.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 09:06:42

You are not crap, but well done for getting your arse in gear grin

We all have morning like that, well some of us do.

OddBoots Mon 11-Feb-13 09:08:50

Well done for battling though it, it'll be better in the long run even. smile

Pagwatch Mon 11-Feb-13 09:09:05

The best bit is when you drop them off and get home. Totally worth it.
Peace grin

socharlottet Mon 11-Feb-13 09:09:12

'And don't really want to take 6 month old baby out in the car on the roads. '
what did you mean by this.is the 6m old baby more precious than the others?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now