. . . to feel a bit pissy about giving someone's kid a lift

(104 Posts)
spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 07:48:04

I offered as they have 2 smaller kids that were out in the cold at night for a 8 o clock pick up on foot. It's not out of my way but will make things a bit more hectic than usual! Just became aware they are rather proud themselves in a hippy type way for managing without a car and actually, compared to myself, are very well off. I will still do it, and not a biggy, but do you think if people are all preachy about not having a car or the expense that goes with it, they should accept lifts ?

Floggingmolly Mon 11-Feb-13 10:10:17

She offered, Belinda, apparently for the sole purpose of both feeling morally superior and the opportunity for a good bitch. Well worth the petrol money.

seeker Mon 11-Feb-13 10:10:20

So, OP, what did the actually say when the got in your car? What form did this "preachiness" take?

mrsjay Mon 11-Feb-13 10:11:08

I didn't offer begrudgingly. . Maybe i am passive aggressive?

maybe a little you probably felt guilty about the children going out int he cold felt obligated now you are sneering about it, they chose not to have a car and children so I guess the understand they will need to take them out in the rain, I dont drive so I had to take mine out in the snow/rain sometimes they have hoods and gloves,

MrsHoarder Mon 11-Feb-13 10:13:31

I'm with wants. The fact that they were scrounging around for the lift and then glassing about saving the planet makes it not on.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Mon 11-Feb-13 10:14:04

Personally I think the op should be applauded. If she hadn't posted she wouldn't have come up with the concept of

Am I just being a twat?

Which as a topic, I would like to see MNHQ implement immediately. It would be excellent.

SignoraStronza Mon 11-Feb-13 10:17:42

Ok, you perhaps didn't present your offer of a lift in a begrudging manner. In fact, to all appearances, you offered in good grace whilst fuming inside at their lifestyle choices.

You then begrudged doing it so much that you felt it worthy of a MN thread.

Isthisme Mon 11-Feb-13 10:21:08

Yeah so, isn't that what MN is for? confused

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 10:21:21

On the way back he asked how much my banger cost to insure etc. . Laughed! and went on about most car journeys being unecessary and don't justify the cost to the environment..blah

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 10:23:39

Glad you like it HotPink. Incidentally . . AIBAT in your opinion? smile

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 10:24:10

Drip drip drip.

mrsjay Mon 11-Feb-13 10:25:16

Laughed! and went on about most car journeys being unecessary and don't justify the cost to the environment..blah

why didnt you stop and ask her to get out as she was contributing to her own carbon footprint or some such rubbish dont offer again

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 10:25:35

I was answering a question usualsuspect

DameMargotFountain Mon 11-Feb-13 10:25:44

but he's right there, lots of car journeys are unnecessary

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 10:27:24

So keep your precious car,and don't other anyone a lift then.

Easy,no more feeling pissy.

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 10:28:20

And to be honest. . My car is a state and the insurance cost is laughable

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 10:31:53

It reminds me of the time i begrudgingly offered a vegetarian my last mini pepperami just so i could post on mn about it.

AThingInYourLife Mon 11-Feb-13 10:46:34

But if they were nice people and not scrounging bastards dressing their poncing up as environmentalism, they would have said something like

"Oh, that's so nice of you. When the weather is better next term, we'll pick up your child and walk him home every week."

Thus actually saving some of those unnecessary journeys they claim to be so worried about.

Only a dick slags off the cost if running the car that is taking them home.

BelindaCarlisle Mon 11-Feb-13 10:47:32

Lol at hot pink

Only a dick slags off the cost if running the car that is taking them home

Precisely

spiritedaway Mon 11-Feb-13 11:02:45

Signora . . . I said i was feeling pissy, not fuming. Don't exaggerate. Pissy is way down the scale and even comes before arsey.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 11:12:56

I think pissy is equal to arsey. grin

DameMargotFountain Mon 11-Feb-13 11:23:31

only if you don't know your arse from your urethra wink

PickledInAPearTree Mon 11-Feb-13 11:26:20

1) livid
2) fuming
3) angry
4) pissy
5) arsey
6) cross
7) miffed

OHforDUCKScake Mon 11-Feb-13 11:27:00

Tbh that would piss me off too OP.

If I offered someones child(ren) a lift Id expect a thank you, not mocking. Being laughed at. Then reading about their slating of car drivers

Thumbwitch Mon 11-Feb-13 11:28:38

Isn't pissy short for pissed off? I'd be mildly irked/miffed by the sanctimonious attitude and think "well next time I won't be offering you a lift then"

It's a bit like the old proverb, isn't it - don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I think that you are probably not unreasonable, actually, but have explained yourself badly (sorry) - it appears that you offered the lift in good faith and kindness of your heart, and then during the lift were preached at about your feckless waste of resources - in which case I'd have considered asking them to hop out then since they had such a problem with it. But then, I get pissy quite easily too! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now