to think we DO live in a world where we can leave the bavk door open

(114 Posts)
TraineeBabyCatcher Sun 10-Feb-13 23:31:08

There's been an article in (forgive me) the dailyfail about a baby who's finger was ripped of my a fox that got in the house. I shall not link you to it- long story short, back door got left open, fox came in and attacked baby.

Whilst I.can understand that if you live in an area where there are a lot of foxes/fox attacks then you do need to be careful but many people have commented on saying that anything could have happened, baby could have been snatched etc.

Please tell me I am not living a deluded life thinking its okay to leave your back door open whilst your in the house?!

Buzzardbird Mon 11-Feb-13 12:34:32

My mother found a cow in her kitchen and she couldn't get it out because it was a galley kitchen and cows don't walk backwards usually...

Buzzardbird Mon 11-Feb-13 12:35:14

Sorry, that was 'off topic' grin

poodletip Mon 11-Feb-13 12:39:43

It depends where you live and what your set up is. I've lived in places in the past where I wouldn't have. My Nan lived in a lovely place but her garden wasn't secure and someone came in and stole stuff from her bedroom while she was sat in the lounge. Where I live now is ok, although there are opportunist crimes with open windows and doors, but our back garden is behind 6ft walls, fences and locked gates so I don't worry too much about the back door. The front door is always shut and locked though!

CheungFun Mon 11-Feb-13 12:41:30

It would be nice to think that, but I don't leave windows or doors unlocked if I'm leaving the flat. If I'm in our back garden, I will only leave the windows open that I can see from the garden.

Last summer our neighbours left a small window open whilst they were out at work and were burgled in the middle of the day. It was at the back of the flats too, so the burglar choose to go through the back gate and check to see if any back windows had been left open in the hot weather.

At our old flat, a large number of sheds were broken into before Christmas all down our road. The policeman investigating said it was very common to have sheds broken into before Christmas as people hid their children's presents in them and that was what the burglars were after.

It's sad, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I think I'd feel scared in my own home if I had actually been burgled, not to mention the cost of replacing stolen/damaged items.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Mon 11-Feb-13 12:41:31

Arf at the cow tale!

Fakebook Mon 11-Feb-13 12:50:02

We used to, but not since last year when a mouse made its way inside and decided to live in our back room.

IfNotNowThenWhen Mon 11-Feb-13 13:06:38

When I was a kid we, and all our neighbours, had the front doors open all day in the summer, with those coloured strips hanging down grin
I wouldn't leave the door open now though. Been burgled too many times.
Also, when people talk about "safe rural" areas I think they are deluded.
Sure, in London you might get an opportunistic thief nicking your I pod off the kitchen table, but in the country you are far more likely to get an escaped axe wielding homicidal psychopath slipping in past the Aga.
Tru Fact.

countrykitten Mon 11-Feb-13 15:05:23

If we had any neighbours or lived in a built up area I think we would be more vigilant about locking up.

As it is we live very rurally and hardly ever lock the house and never lock any of the cars. I think if we actually went away for any period of time (which we don't!) we would lock up but otherwise no.

It is completely area dependent as another poster said much earlier on.

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 15:07:00

I have also heard from a policeman that thieves are turning their attention to sleepy villages - because they are just that - sleepy. Goring on Thames had a spate over Christmas. It's not about living in a rough/urban/rural area...but the old 'An Englishwoman's home is her castle' motto.

countrykitten Mon 11-Feb-13 15:07:11

And INNTW we are not deluded....smile

countrykitten Mon 11-Feb-13 15:09:13

I'd like to see the stats that prove that rural and remote areas are more under threat from crime than big cities....! Not buying that one, sorry.

alemci Mon 11-Feb-13 15:12:23

Buzzard I love the image of the cow in the Galley Kitchen. was she Mooving in.

tinygreendragon Mon 11-Feb-13 15:22:00

All doors and windows locked if we go out. Front door is either chained and dead bolted if we are in or double locked with 2 different keys if we are out (even if we pop to shops 2 mins round the corner). Back door is usually open if we are in and weather is nice but you'd have trouble not to be noticed coming in that way.

Wouldn't do it differently no matter what area I lived in.

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 15:25:49

Stats will of course show less crime in rural areas and that will always be the case. Main reason is population density. If a busy thief goes on a spree in a town, he is likely to rack up the number. But if he goes to a rural area - then he might only find a couple of houses to do. OK so that doesn't make it worth his time, does it? Well actually, thieves are popping on trains to small towns and villages to shoplift. Less CCTV, less police, more optimistic and trusting residents.

Metal theft is up in rural areas - as is deceptive crime and distraction burglary.

I have lived in both town and country - in a very sleepy village in Wales, my parents had someone steal from their shop while they were distracted - chase the thieves only to have the car driven at them. They also had the door of the shop kicked down.

Being in the countryside does not necessarily make you safer. I hate the idea that we have to be so cynical - but thieves in city are getting very nervous of police patrols and CCTV.

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 15:33:53

http://www.epworthbells.co.uk/news/isle-news/cable-thieves-hit-isle-village-1-5381261

http://www.theadvertiserseries.co.uk/news/northyorkshire/10180157.print/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21182955

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Dedicated-police-unit-targets-rural-crime/story-16292153-detail/story.html#axzz2KbZDtDfk

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 15:34:35
TabbyM Mon 11-Feb-13 15:36:40

No, insurance won't cover you if you get anything stolen with your door sitting open. This is a major cause of car theft as well due to people leaving keys near their doors. I live in a low crime area (member of neighbourhood watch!) but would never leave a door open, too tempting for passing opportunists.

ComposHat Mon 11-Feb-13 15:38:52

Stats will of course show less crime in rural areas and that will always be the case

Yes I also guess it depends on how you define crime. You have to distinguish between recorded and non recorded crime. Crimes such as burglary and car theft are almost reported to the Police for insurance purposes.

Whereas I guess the kind of crimes that predominate in the countryside such as drink-driving, animal cruelty (hunting badger baiting etc) or the burning of Edward Wooodward in a neo-pagan ritual are less routinely reported. In fact 100% of recorded cases of burning Edward Woodward to appease the wroth of pagan gods have occured in the countryside.

countrykitten Mon 11-Feb-13 16:01:29

grin at ComposHat

TheMagicMumber Mon 11-Feb-13 16:06:02

I wouldn't. Monkeys here.

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 16:07:08

Yes the Wicker Man crimes - always grim.

grin

(Really pleased you didn't mention the Nicholas Cage version)

Buzzardbird Mon 11-Feb-13 16:07:55

Cow rustling is also hardly ever reported. (no horse in my mother's burgers)
certainly did elemci [grin

OhMyNoReally Mon 11-Feb-13 16:09:00

We leave our back doors open, we luckily have a secure garden. I also leave my front door open but keep the gate locked. The gate is an ornate metal thing, it was there when we moved in. Again very lucky as I can air the house worry free, I would definitely put one on if we moved to house without one, or a security screen

AngelsWithSilverWings Mon 11-Feb-13 16:17:54

I live in an area with very low crime and it's the sort of area where people talk about it being safe to leave doors unlocked/ walk around safely after dark etc.

I got very complacent until one morning I came downstairs to find a strange man asleep on my sofa. He had got in through my unlocked kitchen door. Luckily when my DH woke him up he apologised and made a hasty exit!

I now lock up carefully all the time.

I don't generally leave doors wide open as I have indoor cats but before I got them the kitchen door would be left open most days while I pottered about the house.

Punkatheart Mon 11-Feb-13 16:24:31

Ha my mother came over from India with a monkey (not me) and he was a destructive little bugger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now