Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

MIL always asking me if I have sorted the kids out for school

(80 Posts)
bengal38 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:38:32

My son is 12 and my daughter is 9. Every night my MIL phones to ask if I have sorted them out for school. I ask her why and she says just asking.

bengal38 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:39:32

I do end up getting upset by this. How should I respond next time?

Ponderingonaquandry Sun 10-Feb-13 22:39:51

My mum does this. Drives me mad

Not sure why you've posted this in aibu though

HollyBerryBush Sun 10-Feb-13 22:40:01

Conversation opener?

RubyGates Sun 10-Feb-13 22:40:27

Pre-emt her, ring her up and ask her if she's got FIL sorted out for work.

what does your husband think about his mum upsetting you?

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sun 10-Feb-13 22:41:01

That would annoy me too, its like she doesnt trust you or think your responsible enough, or she can just be bloody nosy.

mablemurple Sun 10-Feb-13 22:41:45

what would she say if you replied "no"?

quoteunquote Sun 10-Feb-13 22:42:38

hand the phone to the children, "Grandma wants to discuss your organisational skills"

use her to nag the children.

FrothyDragon Sun 10-Feb-13 22:43:03

My DM does this as a conversation opener. Maybe next time you can beat her to it. "Kids are all set for school tomorrow", just when you think it's coming up.

SanityClause Sun 10-Feb-13 22:43:11

Every night? Wow!

My MIL always asks me about my cleaner, every time she comes to stay, but that's only about twice a year.

defineme Sun 10-Feb-13 22:43:52

Can't you just say 'yes thanks'?-is it not just her conversaional equivalent of 'How are you?'
Or is this the tip of the iceberg and she's very critical?

Jinsei Sun 10-Feb-13 22:44:01

Wow, that would drive me mad!!

I'd ask her what she's going to do about it if I haven't got them sorted. And then politely point out that they are old enough to sort out themselves!

How weird. Does she have any other conversation or does she just ring to ask the one question?

anywinewilldo Sun 10-Feb-13 22:45:36

Don't answer the phone?

HeathRobinson Sun 10-Feb-13 22:46:46

Say no.

TomArchersSausage Sun 10-Feb-13 22:46:48

Blimey that'd drive me bonkers. She'd have to leave a message, I couldn't have the same convo every night.

Sounds like she's got into the habit of ringing and just says it for something to say.

TanteRose Sun 10-Feb-13 22:46:53

Don't answer the phone

Or just tell her "You know, MIL, there is no need to call every night - I've got it sorted, thanks"

Snazzynewyear Sun 10-Feb-13 22:47:39

Agree, don't answer the phone or get your DH to answer it and field the question.

snice Sun 10-Feb-13 22:48:47

just shout 'Oh God! I knew there was something....' and slam the phone back down

Mil collects ds from school once a week. If he has a letter in his bag she leaves it on the side, fine. She then rings to tell me what it says "ds needs a pound for charity and own clothes on Friday"
A) I read the letter
B) you handed ds over to your son, his father. Why are you telling me rather than him?

MammaTJ Sun 10-Feb-13 22:49:14

I would have to ask exactly what she thinks needs sorting.

magimedi Argentina Sun 10-Feb-13 22:49:27

I do end up getting upset by this. How should I respond next time?

If you are feeling bold tell her to fuck off & that it is none of her business.

If not ask her why it bothers her every day.

Or get your DH/DP to answer the phone.

Or don't pick up the phone.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sun 10-Feb-13 22:49:33

That sounds very odd..... Is there more history to this.....?

"Add message | Report | Message poster mablemurple Sun 10-Feb-13 22:41:45
what would she say if you replied "no"?

Or even better, "who?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now