To be upset to hear DS referred as "hyper boy" by his cousin

(44 Posts)
Edma Sun 10-Feb-13 19:35:44

Context: ILs on Skype with DBiL and DNephews. DD1 and DD2 were here and DNephew says "Where is hyper-boy?", clearly referring to DS, 4. My lovely nephew is 5 and he's clearly using words from his parents. I am so upset.
For the record, DS is very active and excitable, but nothing out of the ordinary. No problems at all at school.
I just find it horrible that his own uncle would use this label when referring to him in front of his children. For the record, DH is not a fan of his DB and I was trying to build bridges for the sake of DMil and the children.

Maryz Sun 10-Feb-13 21:14:53

Is it not a joke? My kids named our last cat after their youngest cousin, because he (the cat) was a bit of a nutter and kept stealing food off their plates, which was exactly what their cousin used to do when he was a toddler.

It was a joke, and everyone thought it was funny.

There is no way they would have teased someone they weren't fond of in such a way.

Maryz Sun 10-Feb-13 21:19:06

In fact, having read all your posts it sounds as though neither you or your dh like them much at all so I expect any nickname they gave him would be offensive in your eyes.

Sometimes it's hard not to be offended by people who you don't like, if that makes sense.

How do your children get on with their cousins? Do they like them?

And finally, it seems to me that your real problem is your fil ignoring your son and favouring your daughter, rather than a bit of good-natured joshing from your nephews sad.

HestonsFatCock Sun 10-Feb-13 21:21:30

It's a good job you aren't related to me, OP. I love all my nieces and nephews to bits, alongside my DSs and "soft lad", "soft girl" and "bloody bugger" are all part of my repetoire of endearments grin

claig Sun 10-Feb-13 21:29:34

Edma, you are right to be upset over it. It is not nice and I don't think it is a joke.

But if he is hyperactive, then others will notice it and make comments. It doesn't really matter as it is part of his nature. It is not nice of them to single that out, but the best thing is to just ignore it.

claig Sun 10-Feb-13 21:37:39

On second thoughts, it is worth bringing it up with BiL or asking DH to do it, because it won't be nice for DS to hear himself referred to as this in future.

Zavi Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:12

You've said yourself that your son is very active and excitable.

Hyper-boy is very apt I would have thought hmm

Are you checking carefully - by other peoples' responses - that your son isn't annoying other people?

My heart goes out to you having a child like that because they CAN be very annoying to other people

Edma Sun 10-Feb-13 22:01:29

"a child like that" Nice

You seem a bit oversensitive about your ds. Has someone criticised his behaviour in the past?

DonderandBlitzen Sun 10-Feb-13 22:25:24

I think there's a big difference between an affectionate family nickname used openly and the parents calling your son a fairly disparaging name to each other behind your back. I don't think "hyper boy" is affectionate or kind. I'd be p'ed off too.

I agree, btw, with the posters that have said that the nickname itself is not necessarily offensive but it is horrible to feel your child being is being discussed negatively behind your back. Especially in front of other children.

But but but...

Unless you know this - and you don't for sure - just move on. By all means talk to your in laws about how you feel about their approach to the children, or ask the parents straight out whether it came from them and why. Stick to facts and how it makes you feel, not speculation.

If you just get upset but do nothing it will simmer.

apostropheuse Sun 10-Feb-13 23:10:54

OP You sound over-sensitive.

Hyper boy is a perfectly innocent way of describing a boy who is as you described your son. I don't think it's the least derogatory.

It's also possible that your nephew gets called hyper-boy and in turn has called your son that. It's the kind of things children do.

You really need to relax about this kind of thing.

Yfronts Sun 10-Feb-13 23:30:31

I agree it's rude and a put down. Next time just say 'how rude, who calls him that?'

Edma Mon 11-Feb-13 06:53:52

He is not hyperactive though. He can concentrate for very long periods of time and has absolutely no problems at school. We can go to restaurants for longish meals and he behaves etc etc.
He is just a regular 4 year old boy IMO.
So, MIL must have told DBil and he sent an email to apologise to DH, saying that we should not take offence and they all regularly call each other this.
I don't buy it but whatever. I think we'll move on.
I am indeed very sensitive when it comes to my children. Although I don't mind if family and friends discipline them when needed, clear favoritism and labelling is not on.

wixawoo Mon 11-Feb-13 09:51:14

My son made up his own id for online gaming when he was about 5 - HyperJake smile
I think it is cool, as would other kids. I don't think it's offensive. If you feel it is being used offensively.... that's another thing.... but to me it sound like there is no harm in it at all.

DeWe Mon 11-Feb-13 10:13:10

It could have been a one off comment from the parents. Children do pick up very quickly if they think something's funny.

I remember reading a book with dd2 when she was about 4yo which referred to a character in it once as "Jumping Jolly Jo".
Next day she referred to a child in her class as "Jumping Jolly Jo"... she thought it was funny and couldn't see why I told her she shouldn't use it-until I made an equivalent one for her name.

aldiwhore Mon 11-Feb-13 10:25:43

The parents may not have named him such, or may have done as an affectionate term (my youngest is astro-boy - we named him that, superhuman and lively and lovely) or just a nick name with not offence intended.

YANBU though. I once described a friend's son as a bit of a 'far side child' - in a conversation between myself and DH. It was a throw away comment between two adults, I didn't know small ears were listening. I learned my lesson HARD, and couldn't wiggle out of it.

MummytoMog Mon 11-Feb-13 10:48:29

Hmm. I quite often refer to OH's nephew as 'Gollum' around my two. Might need to stop that. Although given I often refer to my own two children as 'Fatboy' and 'Imhotep' affectionately, I might be able to wriggle out of it...

Magnificunt Mon 11-Feb-13 10:48:51

I wouldn't like it, OP.

My MIL used to call DS1 hyperactive (well, she pronounces it hypOactive --cos she's a bit thick--) and tell me it was all the sugar he eats... 5 minutes after she'd given him a bag of skittles hmm

ComposHat Mon 11-Feb-13 10:59:16

Hyper-boy sounds like an apprentice superhero.

I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now