To hate reading DS bedtimes stories!

(85 Posts)
Dollyboo Sun 10-Feb-13 19:33:40

I bloody hate it. Just want him in bed so I can relax and have me time!

Cat98 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:45:08

Hmm, YANBU, though I love reading stores to ds, it's my favourite part of the day! However there are other things (craft, endless role play games) that I'm really not so hot on (fortunately dh is) so I can see where you're coming from!

dawntigga Tue 12-Feb-13 09:45:09

YANBU for not enjoying it but YWBU if you didn't do it. A love of reading gives a child escape and a life long way to learn.

ButYouKnowThatAlreadyTiggaxx

Kleinzeit Tue 12-Feb-13 09:46:52

YANBU especially when they want the same one over and over again. Even the best books lose their shine after a few dozen reps. It gets better when they get older and the books get more interesting, when you can do a chapter from a novel each night. And yes, by bedtime I can see you’d have lost patience for a chore. Actually if you really hate it can your DH do the bedtime story? You tuck them up, and then DH reads the stories to them in bed? My Dad used to read to us, and DH usually read to DS.

We still read to DS at 14 too. Fantasy stories, not really challenging adult type stuff. I’m reading him “Earthsea”, but “1984” DS reads for himself. My Dad remembers his father reading to the whole family in the 1940s, Dickens and suchlike, because not much other entertainment was available/affordable to them.

pirouette Tue 12-Feb-13 09:49:31

Last night and for the very first time, ds read me a story. He was so pleased with himself that he read it again, and again.
Yes, I felt crazy tired but it was one of those magic moments.

They soon grow up and then you will have all the me time you want.

SamSmalaidh Tue 12-Feb-13 09:49:56

God yes, I hate it too! I always try to steer DS towards the shorter books grin I am also very strict on just two stories and that's it, whereas DH will read endless books.

I actually find I can zone out while reading them and just think about something else...

Flobbadobs Tue 12-Feb-13 10:35:53

YANBU to not like it, I don't always, it depends on the book. Before DS grew out of it he was very into Dr Seuss books. The same one every night for a week, usually One fish two fish. That got a little tedious! DD is into Princess Poppy and Rainbow Magic which aren't much better but she is easier to settle after a couple of chapters.

fromparistoberlin Tue 12-Feb-13 10:51:55

its the timing, not the action

I feel sad as I actually miss my elder DS and bed time books are our time

but by 845pm when I have been up since 6am, tis hard

go to library and get loads of new books, and start earlier

skullcandy Tue 12-Feb-13 11:02:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skullcandy Tue 12-Feb-13 11:04:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoominmammasHandbag Tue 12-Feb-13 12:54:11

Aw what a shame. I love reading to my kids but I am a bit limited in what I can do with them physically so reading s our lovely bonding time. I actually find it gets them in bed quicker; the threat of no time for a story makes them put a move on.
My eldest never had much interest in reading so on the advice of his teacher I read to him until he was 11 or 12. We went through most of the Harry Potters and loads of classics. It worked though, he is 20 now and reads for pleasure.
My youngest aged 6 is currently enjoying my old Wombles books ( boy were they ahead of their time), one chapter a night. He is drawing womble burrows and making womble inventions from rubbish ( totally unprompted). smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now