To hate reading DS bedtimes stories!

(85 Posts)
Dollyboo Sun 10-Feb-13 19:33:40

I bloody hate it. Just want him in bed so I can relax and have me time!

PatTheHammer Sun 10-Feb-13 20:25:50

Is there a time of day when you would be happier reading together? We don't read every night without fail as sometimes bedtime routines are disrupted for whatever reason.
Ds and I often cuddle up with a book in the afternoon before the school run and dd reads to me whilst I cook the tea. They are 4 and 6 now so I have started reading a few chapters from longer books to them most nights, they enjoy it and it makes it less of a chore than reading 2 or 3 shorter books to each of them.

usualsuspect Sun 10-Feb-13 20:26:59

I was never read to as a child, but loved books and reading.

Habanada Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:48

We can't start earlier due to work, and we can't get her in bed later as then she wouldn't get enough sleep for the next day. It's hard balancing everything.

I'm like the DH further up who loves reading aloud, and I love doing accents. My fairy godmother is Welsh smile But yeah I don't want to faff up the routine at the moment. We made a New Years resolution to start doing it and we still haven't but DH hates reading to her so its really up to me to drive it I think.

numbum Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:55

I love reading to my DC at bedtime but they now go to bed at different times so I end up spending an hour reading when I just want to sit and drink wine and MN get on with washing, ironing, cleaning etc. I still enjoy it but it is sometimes time consuming.

I did, however, hate imaginary play!

usualsuspect Sun 10-Feb-13 20:28:38

On the other hand I read to my DS every night and he never reads books.

I think it is good to carry on as long as you can - when I read to my two I stop at words that may be unfamiliar and ask if they know what they mean, they often don't. If they read the same books to themselves they would just read out the unfamiliar words and carry on (I interrupt their reading out loud for the same reason). It also leads to discussions about situations in real life which can be useful.

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 10-Feb-13 20:31:10

This is one of my favourite things about having children. We are onto chapter books now and DH is a bugger for reading on by several chapters so I lose the thread and have to nick the book to read it back for myself

amck5700 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:31:25

sometimes instead of a book I would just make up a story usually about the adventures of one of our pets and what they get up to when we are all asleep. If time was short, instead of a book or a story I would tell them the start of a story and tell them to shut their eyes and dream the ending smile No1 son at age 12 still asks for a dream at lights out time.

CarriMarie Sun 10-Feb-13 20:31:50

You could always do like a friend of mine, her DH worked away a lot (army) but before he left each time he recorded a few of their DSs favourite stories onto cassette tapes (going back a few years) so she never had to actually do the bedtime story routine. I think the idea eventually spread to granny and grandad adding extra stories to the collection.

It helps that my two are fairly close in age, go to bed at the same time and are generally happy to listen to the same books. We all pile into my bed every night for all of us to read one after the other then they go off to bed.

bedmonster Sun 10-Feb-13 20:32:42

prettykitty I agree that you dont have to have been read bedtime stories to enjoy reading as an adult. I wasn't and I love books. In fact, Dp was read to every night by his stepdad and while he still fondly remembers it, he doesn't read at all, other than to the dc. He did all the harry potter ones as just the titles bore me into a coma like state! But he would never go to a bookshop to choose anything, and he doesn't read anything else.
So his lovely literate start to life hasnt done much for him.

amck5700 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:33:58

No1 son at age 12 still asks for a dream at lights out time

Usually it consists of some building construction related task rather than being about hamsters in hot air balloons if that makes it any better smile

Midlifecrisisarefun Sun 10-Feb-13 20:55:10

Stories at bedtime used to wind up my DS, it re-charged his batteries! I did it during the day as a quiet time when it didn't matter if he needed to let off steam afterwards. A dinner, bath, bed, lights out...no fuss and little 'engagement' worked best for him. DS2 had stories at the same time as his older brother because they are close in age. They are prolific readers. DD rarely reads now but had stories at bedtime because it suited her. I struggled to get her 'into' books!

zeno Sun 10-Feb-13 20:57:33

Have you considered reading poems instead? I've gone from loathing story time to actively looking forward to it since introducing poems to the mix.

The Charles Causley poems are lovely for children, and they're short! Also Now We Are Six. Depending on energy levels etc we read anything from one to ten. Have also been doing some grown up type poems and been really surprised how much four year old dd likes them.

fuckwittery Sun 10-Feb-13 22:08:09

I don't mind reading a book with a good rhyme or decent plot.

However some truly crappy books have crept into the house. Currently DD is asking for these every night, Misty, Ellie, Sophie, Holly, Scarlett and Lucy the SOS Mermaids. All the girls have a different character imperfection that causes a mild disturbance in their mermaid lives, but its OK, with teamwork and remembering that friends always help each other out in tight spots, they get through it! Go Mermaids! They make me want to gouge my eyes out instead of reading the fucking things. Does not make for a peaceful bedtime story.

thesnootyfox Sun 10-Feb-13 22:27:18

I love reading bedtime stories to my children most of the time. I don't enjoy reading when ds1 (8) has faffed around and doesn't get into
bed until 9 p.m. By this time I'm tired and hungry and reading feels more of a chore than a pleasure.

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Sun 10-Feb-13 22:39:25

Habanada - IIWY I would prioritise a book over a daily bath. Children don't generally need a bath every night. Every two or three days is fine. And on bath nights I would put her to bed a bit later so she has a book. Doesn't need to be a long one.

Reading at bedtime is utterly sacred in our house. My dc are 7 and 5 and were read to at night from about 1yo. For both of them the first 'bedtime story' was The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton. We did that for a few months and then began to vary.

My dc are growing up bilingual and English is the minority language, which makes it all the more vital that I read to them exclusively (or as near as dammit) in English and introduce them to all the authors and books they won't encounter through school/peers.

OP, YANBU to dislike it, because it'S the way you feel and you do read to your ds, but I have to say I can't understand what's not to like about it. Calm quiet times, good books (you can steer them away from the crap ones, and when they're very small the choice is entirely yours), closeness... I love it.

Clawdy Sun 10-Feb-13 22:44:00

When he is a teenager you will look back and think how lovely it would be to go back in time and be tucking him up with a story....smile

Apileofballyhoo Sun 10-Feb-13 22:48:28

YANBU. I used to hate it to, thinking I just wanted to get it over with and get DS off to sleep so I could have me time... But I just started telling him if he wants stories he has to go to bed earlier, and it's really working well, and I actually find storytime relaxing now!

Notcontent Sun 10-Feb-13 23:07:02

I have read to my dd since she was a little baby. I went through a stage when she was about 3 when I didn't always enjoy it because she used to choose really boring books, some of which were painful to read... But generally love it and most importantly my dd really loves it and I think it's hugely important.

Hab, same age DTs here. Have always read to them in some capacity, but the timings change a lot depending on what stage they're at/mood they're in.

At the moment what works well is reading 2 or 3 stories before their midday nap as a nice quite wind-down time from playing (on days they're not in nursery). Then nights when they go to bed all giggly and hyper we read to them, on nights when they just conk out I don't worry about it!

Interestingly one DT LOVES books already, and the other just loves them as hinges/weapons/frisbees...So I'm not getting too het up about it right now.

maninawomansworld Tue 12-Feb-13 09:22:51

Unfortunately it's a nessecary evil! I just want them in bed too but a story helps settle them. It is seriously wearing reagind the stame stupid nonsensical crap for the 6th time that week.
2 boys = 1 story each. If they want to listen to each others stories so they effectively get 2 each (while I only have to read twice) then fine.
I don't want to sit up there reading for hours when I've got a nice beer and a decent book waiting downstairs in front of the fire.

maninawomansworld Tue 12-Feb-13 09:23:47

Reading in the day - fine, reading books from school - fine. Just not at 8pm when I want to be doing something more interesting!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 12-Feb-13 09:32:03

Of course YANBU - especially if they're still at the stage where the books are really boring and they want the same one repeatedly. There were some I loathed.

But now I love reading to DD - still - at (wait for this...and don't panic, this is not obligatory, just something we enjoy!) 14! I've read through loads of my old favourite children's classics over the years and now we're onto Discworld, Hitchhikers etc. It really does get better when you get onto books you are fond of. smile

sheeplikessleep Tue 12-Feb-13 09:42:38

Would much rather be cuddling up to DS1 and DS2, laying down and reading a story together <lazy mum>, than the haring around and clearing up involved in messy play (which I hate!). I think in contrast to other activities, it's nicer because it's calmer and there are fewer arguments and they're both so cuddly by then.

However, I do hate it when we are running late and I want them bathed and they need to be asleep, because of school or whatever the next day. I deliberately make sure we've got enough time for a story or two.

Now if this was a thread on messy play / make believe / cooking ... I'd be with you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now