To hate reading DS bedtimes stories!

(85 Posts)
Dollyboo Sun 10-Feb-13 19:33:40

I bloody hate it. Just want him in bed so I can relax and have me time!

littlewhitebag Sun 10-Feb-13 19:54:16

I always hated reading out loud to my kids. For me reading is a private thing. Fortunately DH loves reading out loud - read all the Harry P books out to my DD2 and would take Flower Fairy books away in his briefcase to read over the phone if he wasn't home at night.

LadyInPink Sun 10-Feb-13 20:00:45

amck5700 - I would have to respectively disagree. I have read to DD since birth and love to do so but she is not interested in reading herself and although reads well is not ahead by any significance but more middle of the road. I think perhaps i read too well to her so she just would rather listen.

Her friend whose mother has never read to her is ahead by 6 years (they are both 8) so how does one figure that?

I hated it too and rarely did it, that was what DH was for!
He read to them every night until they were over 10. I only did it if he wasn't around - I could cope with that.

Habanada Sun 10-Feb-13 20:01:02

What age did you all START reading bedtime stories to your DC?

My girl is 16mo and I read her books when I can but I don't feel there's time as part of bedtime at the moment because everything takes so blooming long, we only have 30 mins to do bath, dry, dress, milk, bed. Also I worry that rather than wind her down it will actually wind her up.

But I WANT to do it and know how important it is.

Started at about 6 months, but he didn't show any real interest till about 18 months. Habenada - is there any reason why you can't extend the bedtime routine to say 45 mins?

BlackholesAndRevelations Sun 10-Feb-13 20:09:14

It is very important and very precious one-to-one time. Undoubtedly it's good for their development. I'm glad you're still doing it even though you don't like it ; I was upset when I asked for a show of hands and less than half of the children in my class (year 1) had bedtime stories.

I was just thinking the same thing hab my DD is the same age and we read a lot in the day but I'm scared of effing up the bedtime routine by incorporating a story! But I should...but she's only just starting to sleep...aww I'm so confused

amck5700 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:10:45

Lady - I am quoting the research that was given to us by the school and have no reason to disbelieve it - apart from the fact that my boys were more than 2 years ahead of their peers, then my experience fits the research. My two sons still read 2 or 3 novels a week each at age 12 and 11.

Habanada - I really can't remember an exact age - seems like it was always smile I can however remember reading to my eldest before his brother was born and there are only 13 months between them.

amck5700 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:13:48

I don't think it necessarily has to be at bedtime though if you already have a sucessful routine.

My OH was a sahd and he always had a story time in the afternoon too. I think it is good for boys in particular to have a male read to them sometimes to show that "real men" read books too grin

JKSLtd Sun 10-Feb-13 20:14:42

There are undoubtedly days/evenings when I could do without the story reading, and the repetitive nature/choice can grind you down, but the enjoyment the DC get from it (aside from the wholesome literacy benefits!) more than outweighs it.
Some nights it might be that I insist on a shorter book, or skim some sections to shorten the time, and there are some nights when I say no story if we're all tired, grumpy, late, etc.

It does get better though honestly. DS1 is 6.5 now and I have encouraged him to get into more interesting books, currently just started Beast Quest (maybe a bit old for a 5 year old just yet) which has 60 books in the series and are worth a read.
Also good were the Enid Blyton Faraway Tree/Wishing Chair sets.
Once you've moved on from Duck In the Truck, again, it is much more enjoyable to cuddle up and get into a proper story, so stick with it smile

P.S. I hate pushing DC in a swing, does that make me a bad parent?! wink

We've had spells in the last couple of years when we've stopped bothering so much, I do hear both of mine read at night, but haven't always read back to them every single night, but we do try and do it as often as we can still at 9 and 7, I've mad a big effort again in the last 6 months and it really is good for their vocabulary and understanding.

KellyElly Sun 10-Feb-13 20:14:58

I enjoy it at weekends when I'm more relaxed and time isn't as rushed but during the working week it can feel like a bit of a chore. When DD is older and doesn't have to get to bed so early and the bedtime routine isn't so rushed I'll enjoy it more.

JKSLtd Sun 10-Feb-13 20:15:41

Oh and DD is 21 months now, she loves to pick a book and we chat about the pictures in it.
Admittedly she has a wider range to choose from with 2 older brothers than DS1 did at that age.

Sirzy Sun 10-Feb-13 20:16:18

I love bedtime stories, even better now DS (3) is old enough for us to talk about the book and read it together.

I have always been a book worm though which probably helps

usualsuspect Sun 10-Feb-13 20:17:44

I always hated it too. I did it but never enjoyed it much.

ceebeegeebies Sun 10-Feb-13 20:18:23

What age do you stop? I don't read to DS1 anymore as he is 6.5 and can read to himself - he tends to take a chapter book to bed and read a couple of chapters to himself before he goes to sleep...should I still be reading to him?

amck5700 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:20:37

See, now you are putting me to shame as I didn't read to mine at all once they were capable and interested enough to do it on their own. Got caught out when younger son was 6 or 7 when I was told what a wonderful vocabulary he had by the Head Teacher no less, what she found particularly amusing was that he could spell the words, knew what they meant and could use them in context........but had no idea how they were pronounced as he had never heard them spoken, only seen them written. blush He had therefore some interesting "rimes" in his poems!

bedmonster Sun 10-Feb-13 20:20:53

lwb your dh sounds very sweet!
Op, I love reading. To myself, in my head. I was never ever read to as a child yet have still managed to develop a huge passion for books.
We still read to all the dc individually most nights, Friday and Saturday nights they read to themselves in bed.
I hate reading to them, although I disguise it and they love having stories with me. I just cant help but think 'I could be doing x, y or z instead of this!'
Both the dds have a massive collection of stories and really love it as much as I do.
You can't love everything about raising children. But you're doing the right thing in any case.

Theicingontop Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:15

I don't read my son illustrated children's books at bed time, it distracts him so it's something we save for the daytime. The sound of my voice sends him to sleep, not the story, I find.

Honestly, I tested the theory one night and read him the german dictionary. Worked like a charm. Since then I've just been reading him my books (ones without any sex or murder wink)

I'm currently reading myself him the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. He lasts about ten minutes, so I sit there and have a read myself for half hour.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:43

YABU

I love reading to my two, especially at bedtime when they are all calm and quiet.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:36

Hab I started when I put DS in a bed, he was about 2.2. Before then I did read to him in the day.

I think I'll probably stop once he can read whole books himself & is happy to do that.

zzzzz Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:36

Just read at a different time of day.

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:39

There are a lot of ridiculous replies IMO...'you don't have to like it as long as you do it' etc and how you must have a bedtime story to instil a love of reading.
My Dc are 5 and 2 and I can't remember the last time we had a 'bedtime' story...can't say I expect them to be scarred for life, nor turn to the past time of making book-bonfires when older because they missed out on such an essential experience.

blondefriend Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:50

You definitely need to find books that you like too. I actually like the rhyming ones more than the others - Harry Maclary, Julia Donaldson, Dr Suess etc. But I'm not over keen on it either. I've read to my dd (just 4yr) since she was 2 months old and she loves books. However she doesn't really like reading when someone could read to her. She will even find older children to read to her - when camping she will bring some poor 7 year old back to the tent and bring them book after book until we rescue them. My ds has only just started liking being read to. He would just wander off or fidget.

My most hated parenting chore is "messy play". In fact I was going to start a thread about it tonight after yet another aaaahhhh experience this afternoon trying to find something for them to do on a rainy day. I get that they should do it but that's what I pay nursery for.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Feb-13 20:25:33

OP can DH do a bedtime story if you're not keen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now