Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To give my weaning DD Quorn?

(80 Posts)
Spice17 Sun 10-Feb-13 15:09:22

Should have namechanged to 'Clueless' as I'm trying to get to grips with weaning and, well, I'm not.

Basically I'm Veggie and DH isn't but will eat meals I cook like Spag bol and curries etc with Quorn in. DD is 4 months old, so I've started to think about weaning and am after genuine responses because I really don't know if this is OK or not.

Can I give DD Quorn and other meat substitutes? I know it's not to everyone's taste, but is it OK/safe?

I'm thinking with Spag bol etc, as long as it's salt free, she could have a bit of that. I always put veggies in it anyway, so could skip the Quorn -- or often a cheaper substitute-- just unsure if it's OK?

TIA smile

claig Germany Tue 12-Feb-13 11:09:09

'I believe a lot of soya is produced for animal feed'

You are right. Meat eaters can't escape it, just as they often can't escape GM feed elements for animals. I didn't know that the many of burgers also contained soya protein.

I read labels, but that would never have occurred to me, but I know it now.

whois Tue 12-Feb-13 11:23:28

Veggie v meat is a silly debate. I know a couple of veggies with shit diets (chips and cheese) so eating poorly isn't confined to meat eaters.

You can eat fantastically and get all the required nutrients etc on a veggie diet and you aren't depriving anyone of anything if you don't get all militant about your DC not having any meat at all.

You are right of course whois, there's plenty of unhealthy vegetarian food. I would be so bold to say that in my experience, a lot of vegetarians are more "nutrient conscious" (if that's a thing) as they have to be to be healthy. But then maybe I just know a lot of healthy veggies. That's not to say meat eaters aren't health conscious at all by the way, before anyone jumps on me. My parents now eat meat and their diet is amazing.

I gave DS1 quorn when he was weaning, tbh it didnt occur to me not to blush
He's healthy enough so far

13Iggis Tue 12-Feb-13 16:17:44

MrsHuxtable - 1 piece of bread is 50% of salt? Good grief. I was pleased the ds2 loves his toast in the morning! When I make bread myself, I never seem to be putting much salt in it (2 teasps maybe) - does a loaf you buy have more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now