Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask you all to slap me out ofy major broody spell?!

(22 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Sat 09-Feb-13 21:17:08

I have 2 DS age 3 and 8 months .
I feel really really broody and want a snuggly newborn again !

But I'm thinking of waiting til DS2 is 3 . I've heard that 3 kids just doesn't work great - something to do with dynamics.

Please talk me out of ttc on a whim tonight grin

SkinnybitchWannabe Sat 09-Feb-13 21:18:58

Ive got 3 ds.
Go for it!! wink oh and I am constantly broody.

Inseywinseyupthespout Sat 09-Feb-13 21:25:47

Is it hard with 3?

I'll talk you out of it! I regularly say to anyone that will listen that having three kids was the biggest mistake of my life. I love him to bits and wouldn't be without him but would never do it with my eyes open. It is hard going. Very hard.

brummiegirl1 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:31:07

I'm always broody too! I love the whole being pregnant and having a newborn, my youngest is 7 months and we have decided to start for number 3 in November, if it wasn't for the fact i have a smear due end of year i would probably want to try sooner so just as well i cant!

Inseywinseyupthespout Sat 09-Feb-13 21:47:08

unnamed tell me more!

I find it hard enough with two - although getting a bit easier now .

So I wonder if I could cope with a 3rd confused

woopsidaisy Sat 09-Feb-13 21:53:10

I am bf no3 now! I always said 2 was plenty. But they are well into primary now, and suddenly I became SO broody. Luckily DH would have 10 if he could, so we went for it. So glad . But the fact that the others are older-able to do for themselves lots makes a huge difference. Don't know if could do 3 smallies. Oh, and washing hasn't gone up by one more person-it has quadrupled! Main downside!

Anomaly Sat 09-Feb-13 21:58:58

I've three and yes it is tough at times but it's so worth it. I was very very broody after DS2. DH was happy but knowing how much I wanted a third agreed as long as we didn't have too much of an age gap so now we have DD1. She's been a total delight and in terms of work its not made a huge difference. I'm also completely happy with my lot and know I'm done. DH is booked in for the snip something I would never have considered before.

The kids are great together. DS1 adores DD1 and DS2 is as nice to her as a two year old can be - he sings her songs when she cries.

Aspiemum2 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:59:38

I'm no use to you, I have 4 dc's and dh has had a vasectomy and I'm broody as hell!
In the cold light of day I know it's crazy, the twins are 9 months and if anything they're getting harder.

I was like you a couple of years ago, pondering a 3rd but really not sure - pregnancy wasn't totally planned tbh and then 2 came along!

It's a lot of work, tiring beyond belief. Worth it yes, but I'd give anything for a bit of peace and quiet sometimes!

nurseneedshelp Sat 09-Feb-13 22:11:58

Can I join in?!

Mine are 11 and 9, I'm so broody at the moment!

Had my 8 week old niece overnight last night and thought it would help but I'm more broody than ever???

Mine are so independent that I can't imagine hoing

nurseneedshelp Sat 09-Feb-13 22:12:44

Urgh stupid phone lol.

Mine are so independent that I can't imagine going through all that again!

Well to be totally honest (!) I loved having three then 4 and now 5. I didn't find it particularly difficult most days BUT (there's always a but) somewhere between 3 and 4 and I don't remember when it became a real full time job in a way that I hadn't had when it was 1 and 2. I think this is partially the lifestyle I have chosen ( no ready meals, growing veg, making clothes - not that I'm very good at these things mind just that it is how I aim to live !) it it also though that the more you have the more physical care they need, the more supervision, more trips to beavers,dancing,scho runs etc etc. I used to have time to watch tv in the day with 2 I don't do that now.
I enjoy it and love the way things are but realistically it isnt for everyone so it worth bearing in mind.

cantspel Sun 10-Feb-13 03:12:09

They dont stay snuggly newborns and before you know it you will have 3 teens on your hands eating you out of house and home and draining your purse of your last fiver.
You will spend your time ferrying them around and and worrying that all 3 will want to go to uni and you will end up working 60 hours a week trying to find the funds. Then when you think everything is going to be ok as they are now fully grown, educated and working they will get married and you will probably hate there spouse. Next you will be a grandparent and expected to provide free childcare so those long saga holidays you planned are never going to happen and as they are always skint you still end up subing them so you cant afford them anyway.

Have i turned you off the idea yet?

Mosman Sun 10-Feb-13 03:17:39

Three is great, I have four, what I really enjoyed about number four was that he is significantly younger than the next one up.
If you go for three and that's your last one I personally would wait until your current baby is three and then you get to enjoy them both without rushing one and missing the other's babyhood.

Mosman Sun 10-Feb-13 03:19:08

I don't miss watching TV in the day btw and Chuggington is quite good actually.

I could lend you my arsey 16 yr old they have a really good way of making you not broody.

Just think, you could have three teens shouting and slamming things, failing courses, eating everything, leaving their crap around, rolling their eyes and generally being unpleasant at once.

Plus I can only imagine how much uni will be by the time they are 18.

CheerfulYank Sun 10-Feb-13 03:33:50

I want five, so I'm no help. wink

5Dc said "somewhere between three and four it became a full time job"

Yes, yes, yes, in a nut shell!

Since having dd4 it's really, really non stop hard work, prob not helped by working pt and dh working away a lot.

Mind you, totally worth it! (plus am pg with dc5, so you are not exactly going to get discouragement from me!)

boysarelikehogs Sun 10-Feb-13 06:51:11

I'm the same as you OP. I once asked if anyone regretted 3 and got lots of "no, no, never!" Then lots of pm's saying "well actually..." Really made me think. I just want to do it all again. I wonder about non-existent dc3; sex? Personality? Dynamic of family? I'm not sure my curiosity is a good reason though, not like I can change my mind if its not ideal smile

flow4 Sun 10-Feb-13 06:59:45

I wouldn't want to talk you out of having three, but not YET. Your poor DS2 is only 8 months - he deserves some more of your attention before he 'disappears' into being a neglected middle child for the rest of his life!

Mosman Sun 10-Feb-13 07:09:13

How much uni will be is not your problem though.

Lueji Sun 10-Feb-13 07:12:37

I am one of three, and I found that being 3 we would solve disputes by majority vote rather than arguing.
And if you have them small, you can always get two to entertain each other while you deal with the 3rd.

But, with a baby 8 months old, I'd probably wait at least another 5 years, when they are more self sufficient and can actually help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now