AIBU to fire my hair and makeup people for my wedding or am I being a bridezilla?

(125 Posts)
ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 19:23:25

I booked with a hair and makeup team a while ago now. They seemed qualified for the job and very experienced.

One of my bridesmaids and I went for the trials today. It was supposed to take two hours bit actually took them five. I am really really unhappy with the final 'look'. I have dark circles and the makeup lady hasn't covered them properly. I look like I have slept in my makeup and it has started to come off.

I showed the hairdresser pictures of how I wanted my hair and the bridesmaids. It looks nothing like I wanted. I have shown my family the photos and have seen them in person, and they have agreed it looks terrible.

If I cancel I will lose all the deposits with no guarantee I'll find anyone else to do it with less than a month until my wedding day.

I felt like a bridezilla telling them that I wasn't happy but I couldn't hide my disappointment. So do I cancel and hopefully find someone else or give them the chance to improve on the day? My biggest concern is that they massively underestimated how long it would take with only two of us there when there will be five extra people to do on the day. I feel really upset and stressed about this.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:11:23

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm feeling much more confident about cancelling them.

I've just looked in he mirror, my makeup is awfully smudged. It's only been on a few hours. There is no way it will look good all day.

What you can't tell from the photos is that he put a bun ring in and then pinned the 'curls' to that. It was supposed to be half up half down and looks nothing like what I actually wanted/asked for. I will definitely be using the suggestions in this thread and looking for someone else.

mummybare Sat 09-Feb-13 21:12:05

I also had a makeup lesson at Bobbi Brown in HoF (it was great) and did my own. The products I bought cost about the same as hiring someone, but I got to keep them.

This was because the hair and makeup lady I had a trial with just got the colours completely wrong for my complexion, so I have a lot of sympathy for your situation, OP looked as though I'd had a nasty run-in with a tube of pink glitter (even when I said I'm not fond of pink, she just seemed to hone in on the least flattering shades). Although the hair was, luckily, passable and I'm not confident styling it 'prettily' myself, so I still hired her to do that.

Do you know any friends or friends of friends who are particularly nifty with a pair of tongs and might save the day?

Whatever you do, don't let these jokers anywhere near your face or hair on your wedding day.

2wwmadness Sat 09-Feb-13 21:12:48

I work in a cosmetics counter. Book a trial. Get them o teach you how to do the look you are happy with (this is all free) but the key products and practice, have a free lesson once a week if you need to, (I have do e this with a lady, I have also talked a lady through it on the phone on the morning of her daughters wedding) I would recommend bobby brown, Clarins, Lancôme or Estée Lauder for wedding make up.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:13:29

Maryz, I'm liking your tray of cutlery comparison!

The photo was turned for some reason when I uploaded it.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:16:53

I forgot to add that it was wet set with rollers like someone else mentioned up thread. He didn't want to use curling tongs as my hair is long and thick and doesn't hold curls well. So he used lots of product to 'set' the curls. Ironically, my hair looked loads better when he had taken it all down as the curls loosened.

Maryz Sat 09-Feb-13 21:19:34

Sorry, I hope I didn't make you feel bad blush

It just looked very odd when I first looked.

I think a make-up lesson is a good idea - have fun with your bridesmaid, book one in one of the department stores, and then make each other up on the day. You will be fine.

And please don't over-complicate your hair - I've seen a few brides recently (dd is a "don't tell the bride" and various other programmes addict), and most of them have lovely hair that they "do" to within an inch of its life when it would be so much nicer just looking like, erm, hair, iyswim.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:19:59

I will look for some makeup counters near by and get a free lesson. I have been put off this in the past after I went to the body shop for a trial. Gold eyeshadow was really fashionable at that point and she overdid it by quite a lot. I think she must have had aspirations of doing weird, overdone, catwalk makeup. It was not flattering.

Congratulations btw vodka. I hope your day is all you want it to be.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:23:01

grin no offence taken maryz. I think my hair looks hideous the way they have styled it. What I asked for was natural looking curls, not too beat and manicured, slightly 'messy' natural looking hair. This was his interpretation of what I asked for hmm. I can't believe he was pleased with it! He photographed it for his portfolio book that they take to wedfing fairs confused.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:23:27

*beat = neat

Levantine Sat 09-Feb-13 21:24:31

Bobbi Brown do a bridal makeover I think - and you can't really go wrong using their products, there is no way they would tango you.

mummyplonk Sat 09-Feb-13 21:25:23

Thread you have beautiful long hair, something like you mentioned half up and down, with a chignon at the top would look gorgeous on your hair.

Do you have a house of Fraser or debenhAms near you?

PoohBearsHole Sat 09-Feb-13 21:30:29

Thread - you poor thing, cancel them tell them it is nothing like the suggestions you gave them, if they stall on any form of refund threaten outing on mn, small claims court etc, they don't know if you will or won't but get that money back if you can and thank your lucky stars you had a trial grin

Second going for a lesson at a counter somewhere - you might even want to see if one of those girls would be free to come and do your hair!

Maryz Sat 09-Feb-13 21:36:43

In fact, if you don't do confrontation, I suggest that you write to them, enclosing photos of what you want and what you got, ask for your money back and include a link to this thread.

And assure them you will be updating us with their response (and who they are if you aren't happy with their response).

I bet they give you the money back.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:40:43

Thank you for saying so mummy. I've been dying to cut my hair shorter but I am waiting until after the wedding to give more flexibility for the style.

I am fairly close to Leeds and I think they have all the big name department stores. I'm on my hen weekend in Manchester next week with all my bridesmaids so might be a good chance to go makeup shopping together.

At least I have found out with time to spare. I would have been gutted if this had happened on my wedding day.

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:45:25

I don't know, I still feel mean on them. I know they didn't provide the service I paid for but I'm pretty sure they thought what they were doing was what I'd asked for. Looking through the guy's book made me realise he only has one style with small variations in it. When I showed him what I wanted, he just did his usual style with a slant that made it sort of like but still a millions miles from what I asked for.

I maintain my right to be shock that he was so pleased with it grin.

Pelago Sat 09-Feb-13 21:46:27

Dont use them! Let the money go as the whole thing sounds unprofessional. I went to Benefit before my wedding and arranged to have them do my makeup in shop and buy products- cost me around £40. Got local salon to do hair. Not as convenient as somebody in your room on your wedding day but worked out. This is a big day for you so take control. I'm sure you will look amazing!

Lovecat Sat 09-Feb-13 21:47:56

YY to Bobbi Brown, it's just struck me that my sister went there on the morning of her wedding and had a makeover type session, she looked lovely. Clarins and Lancome counters also good for a more natural look. Avoid Dior like the plague, a girl was having her make up done there when I took my niece for a make up lesson at the Clarins counter next door, she was given turquoise and yellow eye shadow and pale pink 80's frosted lips! confused

Have a lovely wedding day, I'm sure you'll look beautiful once you've moved on from those chancers smile

thenightsky Sat 09-Feb-13 21:50:56

Threads... I cannot see a bun ring in there! Your hair looks dire sad

taking 5 hours sounds very much like a certain Bradford hairdresser (male) I gave up with as I got sick of coming out at 11pm at night, starving and suffering headache!

Is he of greek origin? (wonders if its the same bloke)

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:53:20

Night sky, he looks Greek but gas a Yorkshire accent. Very close to Bradford. I'm wondering if it is the same person. Name begins with 'N'?

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 21:53:55

Gas = has

Lovecat Sat 09-Feb-13 21:57:14

Oh my goodness stop being so NICE! You are paying them a lot of money for a service - a service they are patently not providing - bin them and suffer not a minute's guilt for doing so!

You are not being mean, you are exercising your rights as a consumer and, in the long term, doing him a favour - if everyone keeps on saying 'oh, that's nice' and then fleeing in tears he's going to think he's the mutt's nuts for wedding hair and NEVER change!

trixymalixy Sat 09-Feb-13 21:58:12

I went for my hair and makeup trial a month before my wedding. It was awful. The makeup made me look about 60, the hair looked like a child had done it.

I had been bridesmaid at a wedding the previous weekend and the woman who did the hair and makeup did a great job. I called her up and she did a trial and the difference was unbelievable. Thankfully she was free on the day.

If you're not happy then find someone else.

Tasmania Sat 09-Feb-13 21:58:24

I switched make-up artists, too. Not unreasonable at all...

thenightsky Sat 09-Feb-13 21:59:08

Threads... my ex-hairdresser has initials AC and works out of one of them old trendified mills. He is very 'up' himself. grin

ThreadWorms Sat 09-Feb-13 22:00:54

What can I say lovecat? I am my mothers daughter grin. I've always found it hard to be brutally honest with people when I am unhappy. I was very much more vocal today than I usually am but still fell short of saying 'what the fuck have you done to me?' And walking out. Although I was very close to doing that.

You are right though. I should demand at least my deposit back. I am already dreading having to complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now