To judge people who use could of/should of/would of?

(185 Posts)
sneezingwakesthebaby Sat 09-Feb-13 18:59:21

Am I being unreasonable?

I suppose I am a bit because someone could have any form of difficulty which affects their grammar.

But generally, I still form an opinion about someone and what type of person they are just based on their use of "of" instead of "have". I don't decide to do this. It just automatically happens when I read it.

Hmmm.

usualsuspect Sat 09-Feb-13 19:59:49

I only notice it on MN because I imagine all the itching.twitching grating and judging going on.

DolomitesDonkey Sat 09-Feb-13 20:01:31

"Could of" does not sound the same as "could've" unless you've shocking diction.

It has nothing to do with a fabby education - but everything to do with being able to read and retain information.

Anyone claiming to have 3 degrees but no grammar has been let down by academic institutions rewarding mediocrity.

If someone consistently uses 'should of', presumably they don't know it's incorrect. Which begs the interesting question, at what point does something become 'incorrect' grammar?

I think one can become too bothered about these things.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 20:03:10

I disagree totally. Depending on where you live they can sound very similar.

I'd rather have three degrees and poor grammar to be honest.

dolo - oh, dear, I cross posted.

I am sad now. sad

I've been let down by academic institutions rewarding mediocrity. sad sad

I knew I shoulda (note: is this a compromise that pleases no-one?) gone to Hull.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 20:05:21

I prefer shoulda to should of.

DumSpiroSpero Sat 09-Feb-13 20:05:50

I don't know about judge exactly, but I always notice it, and it really grates on me.

I've also noticed a lot of 'bare with me's' lately...confused

I quite like shoulda myself. But in my mother's accent it is a homophone for shoulder.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 20:06:19

Shuddy? Shooder? Shudder?

somewherewest Sat 09-Feb-13 20:08:32

'Could've' and 'could of' sound exactly the same in my (Irish) accent. Shrug

PrincessFiorimonde Sat 09-Feb-13 20:13:42

I think it's odd to say that you 'judge' people for doing this.

In spoken English, you would hardly notice this usage, as (for example) 'could of' sounds so similar to 'could've'.

In written English, of course, it's clearly ungrammatical. So someone who wrote this might lose points in an exam, or might lose attention from a possible employer if they wrote this on a CV.

But if you're just saying that you 'judge' people for writing 'could of' on an internet forum (which is the way your post comes across), then I think you're confusing style with substance.

sneezingwakesthebaby Sat 09-Feb-13 20:16:02

I don't judge all grammar if that helps at all. Just the really simple stuff that was covered in primary school. I don't sneer either. It's just like my brain makes assumptions about people based on it.

GetWhatYouNeed Sat 09-Feb-13 20:29:52

I judge people who don't use grammar correctly and I judge people who can't spell. The use of 'could of', the incorrect use of 'its' and it's', 'your 'and 'you're' 'their' and 'there', putting apostrophes in plurals etc drives me mad. I'm 49 and never formally learned grammar as I grew up in the 'creative writing' era of the 1970's. My DC (19 & 22) went to a normal comprehensive school and bad spelling and grammar annoy them too. I think it's a sign not of a good education but of a person who doesn't read books and I judge people about that too. (Prepares to burn).

MrsDeVere Sat 09-Feb-13 20:31:18

I have shocking diction.
Because I have an accent. I am a North Londoner who has been living in East London for 11 years.

My diction would make yer air curl.

The older I get the less I care because I am wise.

MrsDeVere Sat 09-Feb-13 20:33:42

I am currently working with several people who are functionally illiterate.

One in particular springs to mind. They are incredibly articulate and insightful. They left school at 11 and have a very strong regional accent.

I am too busy listening to the interesting things they have to say to worry about their diction and grammar.

mrsjay Sat 09-Feb-13 20:35:38

yaba it is just the way people talk/type like is far to short to judge people on grammar WAY TOO SHORT just dont do it

mrsjay Sat 09-Feb-13 20:35:53

yabu*

usualsuspect Sat 09-Feb-13 20:36:47

Not the bloody book thing.

mrsjay Sat 09-Feb-13 20:37:07

life* however feel free to judge away at my typos grin

QuickLookBusy Sat 09-Feb-13 20:38:45

I judge those who judge other people's grammar.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 20:40:01

I think the problem with using 'should of' on mumsnet is that what they've got to say very often isn't interesting...

AIBU to think my DH should of put the bins out/told MIL not to visit/put the toilet seat down and so on.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 20:40:56

It is generally far better to judge people on what they say not how they say it.

Judging on regional accents/ poor grammar it's very narrow minded, I think.

mrsjay Sat 09-Feb-13 20:41:23

is their an entrance Exam for mumsnet then ? many well thought out spelt properly threads on mumsnet are boring it is the nature of forums

usualsuspect Sat 09-Feb-13 20:41:44

I find people who write how they like on MN much more interesting than the pompous grammar pedants.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 20:41:53

Look at that x post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now