To really hate this 'my fashion, family & food is so perfect' blogs on instagram?

(100 Posts)
SilverMoo Sat 09-Feb-13 18:12:48

I have just discovered the world and it is truly vomit inducing, arty instagram shots of boden clad kids frolicking with a designer dog (arty boho chic stuff in background) "Just relaxing with the family", the "A little something I rustled up for dinner tonight' (cue arty instagram shot of rustic papaya, beetroot & pine nut salad with French goats cheese), and "Oh my new £20,000 shoes have arrived, look how rich I am and how pretty they are" (Shot against distressed oak floorboards with perfectly painted toe nails peeping out".................

AmberSocks Wed 13-Feb-13 13:31:04

is it only ok to talk about something nowadays if its about how rubbish your life is and how skint you are?

whats wrong with nice dogs and boden clothes and quirky houses/.i mean really?

PolkadotCircus Wed 13-Feb-13 13:47:46

I do know what you mean however I have a soft spot for Kelle Hampton,love the way she writes(she actually writes unlike many)and what she writes often makes me laugh.Have kind of fallen in love with her girls too.blush

However Soulemama can take a running jump,sorry but anybody who spins her own wool for her handmade hand knits has waaaaay too much time on their hands.I lost it a bit with her at Christmas when she posted all her Christmas handmades for teachers along with fabric wrap and pictures of her kids "elving" ie not bickering like hell the week before Christmas but busy making handmade gifts for each other.

Now she has described February as the "funky winter month"hmm I have decided it's high time I cut ties,tis hard though as it's like picking a scab,you know you shouldn't but....I don't even aspire to having a homestead so why do I put myself through it?

At least Kelle takes the piss out of herself from time to time.

Think the shit might hit the fan in the Hampton household when baby number 3 comes along though,we may see less artistic shots for a while. Going from 2 to 3 is a bit of a shock.grin

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 13-Feb-13 14:18:51

I find them just so bland, their lives are so staged.

I think we all wish life could be perfect but it seems a bit unhealthy to actually pretend it is, to create a polished version of your life.

I wonder if a blog of my actual life would ever get read? Photos of me flapping trying to mop up spilt juice etc or rooting about in a drawer trying to find the scrap of paper I wrote the very important phone number on? I guess not.

I am also deeply dubious about how some of the kids will feel having a million pictures of themselves online for all to see when they are older.

CheerfulYank Wed 13-Feb-13 14:29:46

I don't think there's anything wrong with them, as people. I think there's something wrong when it makes others believe that they're doing something wrong if their lives aren't like that...when in reality not even the blogger's life is actually like that! It's all very posed.

I started a blog once blush but not THAT sort, and only wrote about 4 entries.

NicknameTaken Wed 13-Feb-13 15:02:27

I don't read them much but I don't see any harm in it. But how do they get their dcs to cooperate? DD(5) has firm views about whether she is willing to be photographed or not - often not, and I don't do it against her will.

Anyway, I can't rise to shabby chic domestic interiors. Shabby, yes, chic, not so much.

pudding25 Wed 13-Feb-13 15:35:04

It is just so, "Me, me, me. Look at me and how wonderful I am!" Don't get it.

curryeater Wed 13-Feb-13 15:45:58

I like all those mormon blogs. It is exactly the opposite of the sort of thing I think I would like, and weirdly, they make me feel happy. I don't know why because magazines make me feel shit (research shows that women's magazines make most women feel shit). The mormon blogs of the beautiful slim women smilingly kissing their adorable babies in stylish, only artfully-messy interiors are, oddly, uplifting to me, although they women are so much better looking and more functional and cheerful than me, and although I am a 40-something cynical old bat with a non-artfully messy house. Like SATC, though, I DO NOT GET how they all so slim when they are always eating lardy sugary stuff. Or do they just photograph it and not really eat it?

curryeater Wed 13-Feb-13 15:51:13

I suppose, cheesily, I like that they are enjoying their lives and happy to tell everyone they love their families. (I hope they are, I am sure that the whole family values thing of mormonism makes some women's lives seething hells of suicidal despair, but the ones who blog about it seem to love their lives)
I am a feminist and think women should not have to live traditional lives, but, to some extent, every woman who bears or looks after a child is up against a raw, uncompromising demand for endurance that a lot of men left behind when they came up out of the mines, and I like that there is, behind all this cutesiness, a kind of celebration of the power of the mother. I feel the opposite of "ew, she thinks she is so perfect, as opposed to me". I feel more like, "Gosh women rock! Mothers rock! We are ACE!"

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 13-Feb-13 15:52:50

But it is all fake!

Adversecamber Wed 13-Feb-13 15:53:48

I don't know anyone that pretentious thank F**k

fromparistoberlin Wed 13-Feb-13 15:53:49

can someone link a mormon blog!!??

MamaMary Wed 13-Feb-13 15:55:38

Either these people have super-photographic toddlers and babies or they spend their lives taking a gazillion photos in order to produce perfect ones for their blogs

I suspect it's the latter or maybe my kids are just being awkward when I try and fail to catch them looking all cute

MamaMary Wed 13-Feb-13 15:56:56
SomethingOnce Wed 13-Feb-13 15:59:23

Right, I want to be a Mormon - where do I sign up. Is Donny available?

PoppyAmex Wed 13-Feb-13 16:56:22

Here's the Salon article I was talking about (re. Mormon blogs)

CheerfulYank Wed 13-Feb-13 17:01:19

The Mormons I know IRL are really happy, I have to admit. But not overly gorgeous. Except for a few.

None of them have blogs, though. smile

MoodyDidIt Wed 13-Feb-13 17:04:02

YANBU

<vomit emoticon>

Feminine Wed 13-Feb-13 17:09:57

My sister instagram-ed some loo roll! anything looks good with a filter.

More arty, more loving ...more blah blah....

Theicingontop Wed 13-Feb-13 17:12:15

Oh god no, yanbu.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 13-Feb-13 17:13:31

I agree, my BF told me she had to come off Fbook because her posh friends were always posting pics on it trying to make their lives look like something out of Red magazine! It is like doing your own PR, bloody annoying!

MrsDeVere Wed 13-Feb-13 17:15:09

It amuses me to take photographs and put them on FB.
I know exactly how to make that particular few square inches look retro and scrummy. Instagram makes this sooooo easy.

I always fess up though grin

Maebe Wed 13-Feb-13 17:26:02

DP wants to watch the football tonight.

I was 'grr', but thanks to the links to these blogs.... ah, it's going to be a good night tonight!

SomethingOnce Wed 13-Feb-13 17:29:49

Like so many things, the more beautiful the contrived images, the more disappointing the multi-faceted reality turns out to be.

LeChatRouge Wed 13-Feb-13 17:33:07

You guys are not alone. There is a whole forum dedicated to blog hatred.

EmpressMaud Wed 13-Feb-13 17:34:24

There's a glut of them around, and they all seem to think they're unique and oh-so-interesting. At least the ones I've read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now